PDA

View Full Version : Giants 2@Everett 3 Dec16

Swando
12-16-2006, 11:39 PM
Well I have watched both games over the Web cast and must say that the Giants can take relief that they played short handed and still represented themselves as "futute champions" Whoever watched last nights game saw the same game tonight. I hate complaining about the refs but when bias Tips announcers even comment on questionalble calls you have to wonder. Needless to say the boys played their hearts out on a thin bench as Hay short ****ed both F & D as far as I could see. In overtime the goal was deflected of Milklelsens leg and when in. Tips scored on the 1st of their 3,
5 on 3's opportunities. I'm happy and at the same time PO'd Reffing aside I can't wait to see both teams play with their best. I'll say this if Mueller was playing we would not get a point. Another comment is that Everett getting Gendor? sp from Pg was a steal. He didn't want to play in PG like many others and yet PG would not want him in their own division... without checking I think he went for a very low 5,6 bantam draft pick. He was all over the ice. Thanks PG!!!
Well played game and very slow in the first 2 periods until the refs put their whistles in their pockets.

Knuckles Muldoon
12-16-2006, 11:57 PM
Sounds like the boys played hard and played well. No complaints here. It's a very good sign that this short-staffed group could play even-up with the Tips in these 2 games. I think its a good omen for down the road when things really start to matter. Not scoring on the long 5 on 3 was disappointing. When you get a golden chance to grab the lead, you've got to come through. I hope there's a lesson learned there somewhere.
And not to beat a dead horse, but I thought Bill Wilms' question to Bones after the game about Dan Bertram was very curious. Is something possibly happening behind the scenes? :confused:

Swando
12-17-2006, 12:55 AM
Sounds like the boys played hard and played well. No complaints here. It's a very good sign that this short-staffed group could play even-up with the Tips in these 2 games. I think its a good omen for down the road when things really start to matter. Not scoring on the long 5 on 3 was disappointing. When you get a golden chance to grab the lead, you've got to come through. I hope there's a lesson learned there somewhere.
And not to beat a dead horse, but I thought Bill Wilms' question to Bones after the game about Dan Bertram was very curious. Is something possibly happening behind the scenes? :confused:

I was going to comment on that. On our 1 chance on a 5 on 3 it looked like Don Hay was either sending a message to his boys by playing a 3rd type line D included or he was using this as a chance to rest his main players as I mentioned he short benched the team tonight. They have a long rest ahead!!!

Swando
12-17-2006, 12:56 AM

What did Bones ask I didn't listen to the Post game,

Kassian
12-17-2006, 03:45 AM
The Giants didn't play bad but they really didn't have many good scoring opportunities. Bad passes and hesistation with the puck caused many turnovers. When the Giants weren't able to score on that 5-3 in the third period I knew they were going to come out on the losing end. I just didn't think it would be a fluke goal in OT. :(

Redwic
12-17-2006, 05:29 PM
Another comment is that Everett getting Gendor? sp from Pg was a steal. He didn't want to play in PG like many others and yet PG would not want him in their own division... without checking I think he went for a very low 5,6 bantam draft pick. He was all over the ice. Thanks PG!!!

Gendur *was* a steal of a pickup for the Silvertips. When they first acquired him, I wasn't certain what to expect as he basically quit on Prince George when he wasn't playing on their top lines. Plus, he seemed to be injury-prone.

Since coming to the Silvertips, he has played outstanding hockey, quickly skates up & down the ice, and he's not afraid to shoot the puck. He has performed very well with Zach Hamill, and their abilities seem to complement each other nicely. It's also nice to see a Silvertips player (not named Mueller) actually take a chance of shooting the puck during power plays, rather than passing the puck endlessly & totally wasting the extra-man advantage (although Gendur has shown that he's not afraid to pass, too). He has hit the crossbar & goalposts several times in the past few games, so he's been fairly accurate with shooting. A fan sitting near me, last night, said that Gendur reminded him a lot of John Lammers from last season. I chuckled at the notion, but for the past few games that has not been too far from the truth.

Redwic
12-17-2006, 05:43 PM
The Giants didn't play bad but they really didn't have many good scoring opportunities. Bad passes and hesistation with the puck caused many turnovers. When the Giants weren't able to score on that 5-3 in the third period I knew they were going to come out on the losing end. I just didn't think it would be a fluke goal in OT. :(

In the past few seasons, I do not remember the Giants passing as sloppily as they did last night. Every team will have an off-night, now & then, but it still shocked me.

Also, much more credit should be given to the Giants' defense rather than Sexsmith's abilities. After watching both games, firsthand, I have to say that I was not impressed with his handling of rebounds and pucks going behind the net. As for the Giants' defense, it's easy to see why they do so well. The Silvertips would have had many more SOG in both games, if the defensemen had not been stopping so many shots in front of Sexsmith.

I liked the look of your PK unit, but your PP unit looked really disorganized. There was one time, during the Third Period's 5-on-3 advantage, where a Giants player (I don't remember who) had the puck at the point and didn't have anybody even remotely close to pass to, and he would not try shooting the puck, himself. He looked lost, and some people were laughing in the stands. Much of that disorganization can be attributed to Franson missing from the lineup, but it was still astounding to see so many players from a championship team look lost.

I like the fact that both games went down-to-the-wire, worthy of matchups between two of the league's top teams. But I can't wait to see these two teams meet again, when both teams have full lineups. Perhaps then we will have a decent barometer for where these two teams are at.

Kassian
12-17-2006, 06:28 PM
I liked the look of your PK unit, but your PP unit looked really disorganized. There was one time, during the Third Period's 5-on-3 advantage, where a Giants player (I don't remember who) had the puck at the point and didn't have anybody even remotely close to pass to, and he would not try shooting the puck, himself. He looked lost, and some people were laughing in the stands. Much of that disorganization can be attributed to Franson missing from the lineup, but it was still astounding to see so many players from a championship team look lost.

It's more than just Franson. The Giants were much more short handed than the Tips. Franson, Repik, McArdle and Bliznak a four huge losses and would've likely made the difference, especially on a 5 on 3. I believe the player you are talking about was Kraus. There were a few times when he had the puck and a lane to shoot but for whatever reason held onto the puck for too long and then tried to force a pass that just wasn't there.

Another part of the game the Giants struggled in was faceoffs. And that's where the team really missed Bliznak. I can't recall how many times the Giants lost a face off in the Everett zone while on the PP.

dondo
12-19-2006, 04:44 PM
catching up on threads--

its a shame that the Giants had to lose in OT that way especially, would have loved to see them bounce back and take one in the Everett barn. Sounds like poor reffing was once again a factor, but probably not the whole story.
I really don't like to hear that the boys aren't playing their best against the best.

That is what makes a championship team and I expect nothing less from the G-Men