PDA

View Full Version : Too Much Pressure??

Bran
12-17-2006, 03:03 AM
The problem with this team seems to be that they aren't having much fun anymore. That 3-0 win over Red Deer was probably my favourite game of the year, because the guys just seemed to be having a great time playing, and the game reflected that.

Tonight, they weren't having fun, it seemed like it was a chore to them. Even Kyle Ross looked dead tired in the second. I didn't think that was even possible! I think what's going on is that all this "shooting for first" stuff is getting to them, and I don't mean that they think they don't have to work for wins. They've been through that, and I don't think it's an issue. I think Parker's constant spouting off about finishing first is creating too much pressure. Parker won't stop talking about it so the media won't stop, then the fans pick it up...It doesn't matter how well you play, you can't finish first if you don't win games and I think that this constant talk of first place is getting it in their heads that winning is what's important. Playing your hardest and having fun is what's important, especially at this level..and if they can accomplish that, the wins will come. It's not that this team doesn't have the talent, or the will. With few exceptions, you'd have a hard time convincing me that these guys don't care. What I think is happening here is that their focus has shifted soley to winning, and that's a dangerous place to be. Linden Rowat is a prime example: It's obvious to anyone who's seen the kid play that talent isn't the issue with him, and you're nuts if you think he doesn't care. He's got a lot of pressure on him right now. On top of winning games, he's got the draft weighing on him. He's letting little things get him flustered, one bad goal and it opens the floodgates. He needs to relax and play his game. Have fun with it and forget about everything else. Same goes for everyone else. I think Parker needs to keep his mouth shut about the final standings right now and do his job. And quit making excuses. That certainly isn't helping anyone.

And I really miss Deck right now. :(