PDA

View Full Version : Tournament of Hearts

grainbear
12-17-2006, 11:22 AM
May I state firstly that I am a curler. However, if the Canes don,t make the playoffs this year it will be the first to admit that this Tournament will have been a part of it. The schedule this year for our team has been absolute unreal. When you look at our 10 game losing skid earlier when we on the road forever and then once again with only 2 home games in February because of 2 weeks or more dedicated to this tournament I say enough is enough. Yes , this is a premier event but these type of events don,t pay the bills for the local rinks. It remains the Hurricanes that bring the biggest revenue to the facility. We must hold them in larger centers in spite of the free advertising in gives our city. Believe it our not it even costs you $85.00 if you want to be a volunteer at this Tournament. The second alterntive is to have held them in our second largest rink Nicholas Sheran and raise prices for admission. You might say, why didn,t the Canes play there so we don,t have such unreal schedule. Good question , for GM as well.

loudi94
12-17-2006, 04:06 PM
While I don't disagree with you, any team that has playoff aspirations must win on the road. If the Canes manage to go .500 on the road the rest of the season and still miss the playoffs, you can point to that skid at the beginning of the season. Fact is, they have been a bad road team this year.

shushu
12-18-2006, 10:26 PM
You might say, why didn,t the Canes play there so we don,t have such unreal schedule. Good question , for GM as well.

are you saying that the canes should play at nicholas sheran? where would the fans sit in the parking lot. i dont think roy had a choice in what the city books for its building.......................... go canes go :thumb:

canes77
12-19-2006, 02:01 AM
im just unsure why the canes are on the road for 28 days (I think that number is right) ... i know the tournament of hearts takes 10 days or so, plus a couple days for setup/take down duties...i dont think we need over 2 weeks for that, so there must be some other significant event being held at the Canada Games Sportsplex (the Enmax lease ended a yr ago :) )

grainbear
12-19-2006, 06:35 AM
I realize that this is a smaller facility , but it would at least allowed us some home cooked meals . Perhaps , they should put the curling into both facilities for 1 week rather then have 2 plus week taken for the Tournament of Hearts

SeventhHeaven4U
12-19-2006, 09:42 PM
I don't believe that the Scotty Tourney has anything to do with our not playing at home, for over a month. They knew back in March (long before the schedules were made) that this event was going to be here. The 8 days the tourney runs, the Canes are in the States/Chilliwack/Kelowna, which is fair enough seeing as it's our turn to visit. The league should've done alot better job in scheduling. We have the 4th toughest schedule in the league, we have proven our ability to win at home, now we have to put it to the true test... surviving the long road sched .... Like they say, "If it doesn't kill us, it will only make us stronger" (regardless of whether we wiin or lose! )