PDA

View Full Version : Bertram

Swando
12-20-2006, 07:13 PM
I had a chance to speak with Bill Wilems today at a local golf course. He shot a 66! I posed a few questions to him and here is his take.

Brule --- "Not a chance of him coming back...well stranger things have happened but I can't see it."

Slade --" I think the fences can be mended but something would really have to happen for it to occur-- his coming back"

Bertram---"Now there is a distinct possiblity. Chicago really wants him to play in Vancouver and he's done all he can in college. If it happens it will be immediately following the World Juniors" ( In other words he would most likely leave college 1/2 way thru as their season as they don't finish till March/April.

Knuckles Muldoon
12-20-2006, 08:37 PM
I would agree with each of those three assessments. Something tells me the Slade situation isn't over with.

dondo
12-20-2006, 11:00 PM
this would be a good thing for the Giants (Bertram) and fill that much needed sniper hole we have had for a bit.

The team ostensibly locking Dustin out for 60 days limits his options. Maybe he should be looking at UBC right now, just to get playing and I hear they lack a true number one 'tender right now. I'm pretty sure that Dustin would have to apologize to the whole team and do something to get back in their good graces, but if it could happen I'd like to see him back.

I think he made a huge mistake, but hopefully it can be rectified without too much collateral damage. I'd still like to see what Neufeld can do though as he was on a shutout streak stopping 7 of 7 before going down. :thumb:

Hunt24
12-21-2006, 12:00 AM
From what I've heard on Bertram there is very little chance of him coming here. Despite what his parents and advisor have told him, he's quite content at Boston College and wants to earn his degree. And Dondo, there's no chance of him coming here to "fill that much needed sniper hole". He's only got 22 goals in 92 games played at Boston College. A very, very good two way forward, but certainly not a sniper by any stretch.

N.W. Bruin
12-21-2006, 01:11 AM
He would have to make up with his former teammates. What it does in regards to Sexsmith is likely nothing even if Slade does comes back as with him being gone so long even if the Giants played him in 75% of the remaining games the goaltending share will need up 50/50 anyway. And it is Tyson's team next season. More important is the next two weeks as the team still needs to add the other overager (depends on Slade situation). So things have to be clarified pretty quick in that matter if he is coming back.

Section_Z
12-21-2006, 09:05 AM
Anyone know of another 20 Y old out there (besides Scharff) who is not playing right now, the likes of Brett Parker?

dondo
12-21-2006, 11:52 AM
From what I've heard on Bertram there is very little chance of him coming here. Despite what his parents and advisor have told him, he's quite content at Boston College and wants to earn his degree. And Dondo, there's no chance of him coming here to "fill that much needed sniper hole". He's only got 22 goals in 92 games played at Boston College. A very, very good two way forward, but certainly not a sniper by any stretch.

okay I was under the impression that he was a goal scorer first, do we need another two-way player no matter how good? Obviously he's got the chops though being on the Canadian Junior team, but that's not what this team seems to be lacking.

I still think the lure of a Memorial Cup could convince him to forgo half a year of school and hockey and make it up later though.

Rattlesnake
12-21-2006, 01:41 PM
I still think the lure of a Memorial Cup could convince him to forgo half a year of school and hockey and make it up later though.

Boogaard'd

It would be a fair bit more than foregoing a half year of school. The plan was always to play Junior A, get a NCAA scholarship, go to school and play in the NCAA and come out with a degree. That degree could be worth plenty.

If Mr. Bertram has what it takes to make the NHL, playing for the Giants in the Mem Cup wouldn't enhance his chances nor would staying in the NCAA be detrimental. The only reason I could see this move would be that he isn't cutting it academically at BC and I doubt that.

This is yet another in a long list of people telling him what he should do.

Swando
12-21-2006, 02:16 PM
Maybe he should be looking at UBC right now,

UBC has an extremely high grade point average to qualify. That's why you see them near the bottom of the standing so often. Tougher to get the student athlete!. I wonder if Slade would even qualify?
As far as Bertram goes I tend to think it is a long shot. Foregoing a degree to play in the Memorial Cup??? The only thing is if Chicago really likes him and says " You have great chance to make our big club but we want you to play a more N American style etc. $$$ may talk too, when it comes to contracts. ie signing bonus etc.
Wilms was in a hurry to leave so I didn't get into it with him to much.

dondo
12-23-2006, 12:50 PM
students take half-year off all the time to take a break or earn more money and then go back. I don't see the big difference here, but w/e. Its not like taking a semester off completely wipes out his chance at an NCAA scholarship, or even a chance at an education.

Beaner
12-23-2006, 01:03 PM
students take half-year off all the time to take a break or earn more money and then go back. I don't see the big difference here, but w/e. Its not like taking a semester off completely wipes out his chance at an NCAA scholarship, or even a chance at an education.

If Bertram plays for the WHL he losses his NCAA eligibility because the NCAA considers the WHL, and the CHL a profesional league.

dondo
12-23-2006, 01:23 PM
If Bertram plays for the WHL he losses his NCAA eligibility because the NCAA considers the WHL, and the CHL a profesional league.

hmm.. that I did not know ---- thanks Beaner -- well I suppose we won't be seeing him then. I highly doubt he'd sacrifice that to play with the G-Men. Its too bad.

Question:

how does the player going the US college route work? Do they play when they are 16 (and not ready to actually attend college), or is there some sort of other level where the younger guys get to play in the US College system while not attending college -- this is one thing I have never been clear about. (among many ;))

Sabes
12-23-2006, 01:41 PM
hmm.. that I did not know ---- thanks Beaner -- well I suppose we won't be seeing him then. I highly doubt he'd sacrifice that to play with the G-Men. Its too bad.

Question:

how does the player going the US college route work? Do they play when they are 16 (and not ready to actually attend college), or is there some sort of other level where the younger guys get to play in the US College system while not attending college -- this is one thing I have never been clear about. (among many ;))

They usually play Junior A like BCHL, SJHL, AJHL and so on. Some go to the states and play in the USHL. They sign Letters of Intent to play for the college before they go there and are recruited just as early as WHL players and so on.

dondo
12-23-2006, 01:48 PM
hmm.. well does anyone else think its ridiculous that the US college system believes that the CHL is a professional league?? I mean a stipend, and billeting is professional?

I bet they kick back more money to their scholarship players than the players will ever see playing in the dub. I think its time for hockey Canada to step up and balance out this trend, or we'll lose all of our high-level talent to the US college system. Its a pretty juicy plum to dangle in front of a young kid.

There is no way that a player playing for the CHL should be deemed ineligible to qualify for a NCAA scholarship -- esp since young players can't even attend college until they've finish their high-school education.

SectionNDeserter
12-23-2006, 03:06 PM
I think taking a semester off, to do something that voids your NCAA eligibility (like play pro hockey, or WHL) though does void his NCAA eligibility. :D

Beaner
12-23-2006, 03:51 PM
hmm.. well does anyone else think its ridiculous that the US college system believes that the CHL is a professional league?? I mean a stipend, and billeting is professional?

I bet they kick back more money to their scholarship players than the players will ever see playing in the dub. I think its time for hockey Canada to step up and balance out this trend, or we'll lose all of our high-level talent to the US college system. Its a pretty juicy plum to dangle in front of a young kid.

There is no way that a player playing for the CHL should be deemed ineligible to qualify for a NCAA scholarship -- esp since young players can't even attend college until they've finish their high-school education.

Yep its nuts, but thats how the NCAA recruits players, sign a CHL contract and you are no longer eligible to play for the NCAA, and get our nice juicy scholarships.

Not much the CHL can do about it, and it has been happening for a long time.

The CHL wants to have the best players play for them, if they did a retalitory system of saying if you play in the NCAA then you are no longer eligible for the CHL they would probably lose more players to the NCAA. The NCAA scholarships are just that much better then what the CHL can offer.

Lets face it the majority of junior level players will never play at a pro level, the education package they get is probably the most important part of playing in either league.

Back to Bertram though, he more than likely will not be able to finish his degree before the Hawks offer to let him play at the AHL level, and his scholarship will be voided as soon as that happens. Not that that will matter, once he does go pro he will be more than able to afford a degree.

Personally I peg his chances of coming here at less than 30%, he seems to be happy at BC, has been drafted, and made the Canadian junior squad. The only reason to come here is for a shot at the Memorial Cup, but then again I'm sure he would like to win a NCAA championship just as much as a MC.

Maybe Chicago wants him to play for a MC, but I have to think they are pretty happy with his development thus far, why mess with it?

dondo
12-23-2006, 08:10 PM
thx folks -- I'm wondering how playing for the USHL isn't considered pro and the CHL is -- lame.

Ah well - anyway that clarifies something that's been bugging me -- and probably others as well.

Swando
12-23-2006, 11:34 PM
In previous years the WHL did not even offer a Canadian scholarship for every year played in the WHL like it does now. They had to do this because they were loosing to many to the US colleges...at least now the WHL has an option to offer. Getting back to what Wilms said to me about Bertram. He said that Bertram has learned all he can about hockey at the college level and staying there would not help his progress...thus the Hawks are trying to convince him it would be best for his hockey future to play in a more NHL style league ala WHL and a garanteed MC position.

neutral
12-24-2006, 12:15 PM

Dondo: The issue isn't the pay an individual player receives. It is with players in the league who have signed pro contracts which results in the whole league being classed as pro.

Sabes: US college recruiting has rigid rules about the age of recruitment. I've forgotten the details but the players must be in grade 12 and the teams are limited in the number of discussions and trips. WHL recruiting is younger.

As for scholarships, an undergraduate degree from a good Canadian University is as good or better than a degree from the vast majority of US colleges. Not to mention, WHL scholarships are far more flexible in terms of where they can be used including many post secondary courses not offereed by universities.

N.W. Bruin
12-24-2006, 08:00 PM
Dondo: The issue isn't the pay an individual player receives. It is with players in the league who have signed pro contracts which results in the whole league being classed as pro.

Sabes: US college recruiting has rigid rules about the age of recruitment. I've forgotten the details but the players must be in grade 12 and the teams are limited in the number of discussions and trips. WHL recruiting is younger.

As for scholarships, an undergraduate degree from a good Canadian University is as good or better than a degree from the vast majority of US colleges. Not to mention, WHL scholarships are far more flexible in terms of where they can be used including many post secondary courses not offereed by universities.

Kyle Turris committed to NCAA school already in the past and this is his grade twelve year.