PDA

View Full Version : Where's the Getzlaf thread?

Section_Z
12-21-2006, 09:23 AM
On his way to a 30 g season....
15 now...that's only 1 less than Superstar Sidney.
26 points in 37 games. 6 PPG and 3 GWG..
Great numbers from a solid WHL forward.

patsdude114
12-21-2006, 07:59 PM
not to mention a Regina kid as well;) plus Chris Kunitz on the Ducks is a Regina kid as well playing on the top line in Duckville

Section_Z
12-22-2006, 11:58 AM
Going off topic here in Hitmen land, but...
I had a chance to talk with Chris when he was a Cinci. Duck. He fought hard to get where he is today. Never drafted at any level....Always an All star, never able to attract quite enough attention.
The Ducks are lucky they were able to re-sign him off waivers this year.
And a note on the Duck scouting team... Snipers from the clock tower at finding good Canadian kids undrafted in the NCAA...Add to the list along with Kunitz...Dustin Penner and Andy McDonald...
3 top forwards...not one draft pick spent.

patsdude114
12-23-2006, 05:36 PM
today in the Regina Leader-Post they had a article on Kunitz...very good article wish i new how to find it and put it up in this thread

eecliff
12-28-2006, 11:00 PM
today in the Regina Leader-Post they had a article on Kunitz...very good article wish i new how to find it and put it up in this thread

Kunitz flying high as member of top team

The Leader-Post
Published: Saturday, December 23, 2006

Chris Kunitz is a proud member of the Millionaires' club.

The 27-year-old winger took the road less travelled en route to becoming a mainstay with the Anaheim Ducks.

A product of Regina's minor hockey system, Kunitz flew under the WHL radar before finding a home with the Melville Millionaires.

After two seasons in the SJHL, he landed a scholarship with the Ferris State Bulldogs, an NCAA Division I program in Big Rapids, Mich. Kunitz graduated four years later with a marketing degree and capped off his collegiate career as a finalist for the Hobey Baker trophy, which is presented annually to the top player in U.S. college hockey.

Shortly thereafter, he was offered a contract by the Ducks.

"I was more of a late bloomer," explained Kunitz, who is teammates in Anaheim with fellow Regina product Ryan Getzlaf, a former WHL star with the Calgary Hitmen. "I was a small guy growing up so there was never much interest. If I had to go the (WHL route), the way Ryan went, I probably wouldn't be where I am now. I wouldn't have been able to mature and grow my game so much like I did in the college game."

Kunitz and Getzlaf may be from the same hometown, but their paths to Anaheim were nothing alike.

"It is different," noted Kunitz, a 6-foot-0, 198-pounder. "He was highly touted coming all the way through playing world juniors and being a first-round pick. He was kind of built up to be in this role. We always give each other a hard time about the college guys on our team and other guys being the junior guys. But it works out both ways because we all ended up in the same spot."

Kunitz couldn't be happier.

After establishing himself as a full-time NHLer in 2005-06 -- recording 19 goals and 41 points in 67 games -- Kunitz took his game to another level this season while playing on the Ducks' No. 1 line with Teemu Selanne and Andy McDonald.

With 16 goals and 31 points in 36 games, Kunitz sits second on the team behind Selanne's 19 goals, putting him on pace to top the 35-goal plateau.

"I never really ever doubted myself," said Kunitz. "But skill-wise you never really know what your full potential is until you get the opportunity to play at that level and play a lot with a Teemu Selanne and an Andy McDonald. Once you get that opportunity, it's kind of just what you make of it."

As for his team, the Ducks have shed the 'Mighty' tag from their nickname this season, but the club has never been a more dominant force in the NHL, posting a league-best record of 27-4-1-5. With a mix of young studs like Getzlaf and Corey Perry, complemented by all-star veterans such as Selanne, Chris Pronger and Scott Niedermayer, Anaheim just might be the team to beat this season.

"I think we all kind of feed off each other," noted Kunitz. "Without the younger guys putting up points we wouldn't have the depth that we do with four strong lines. Then without the veterans with their leadership and being out there every night and producing, obviously we wouldn't have the same success either. It comes hand in hand."

Despite all his success, Kunitz hasn't forgotten his roots. Although his parents now reside in Calgary, he still has plenty of family and friends in the Queen City -- and he visits whenever he can.

"I still have my high school buddies that I see and that's who I usually stay with ever since mom and dad sold the house in Regina," he added. "When I go to grandma's house and my auntie's house, that brings back memories, or just driving around the streets where I used to be. It still feels like home even though I don't have a home there anymore."

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2006