PDA

View Full Version : Gillies - still a first rounder?

Five Hole
12-22-2006, 10:43 PM
Curious from those that see him play fairly regularly .... he certainly appears to have the tools, or does he? When does it have to turn into offensive output? Or is that not what they want him for? If not point production, then what??

Some feel he's going to sink like a stone in the 2007 draft ranks if he doesn't start turning it on in the New Year. Or are the scouts willing to say "It's too early to tell; let's give him the benefit of the doubt that next year's the year for him to light it up when he and his teammates are a year older" ?

Give this thread a read... some interesting and contrary perspectives
:confused:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=7441075#post7441075

I hope he can live up to the hype, but sometimes 'can't miss' guys just don't... whaddya think??

wango tango
12-22-2006, 11:03 PM
gillies suffers from 'mike green syndrome'. green's draft year a lot of scouts were questioning him and his ability to produce. keep in mind green's draft year also coincidently happened to be the 7 win debacle. his stock fell to late first round with washington now thankful a lot of other teams were wrong.

gillies if he had better talent around him would be putting up better numbers, i have no doubt of that, and therefore would be providing a better barometer of where he actually is at. physically strong, the best skating big man i have ever seen play in the whl. the biggest question is natural goal scoring talent. and unfortunately to this point in the season, in part because of a lack of playmakers around him, has not displayed a nose for the net.

is gillies lack of scoring because of the nature of the team he is currently on? or is it a product of something else?

he will probably be the biggest enigma heading into the 2007 draft, and has the potential to greatly reward the nhl team who takes a chance on him.

Tidball
12-22-2006, 11:36 PM
Dont be silly, lol. Gillies is one of the biggest 1stt rounders. He is easily the best hitter out of the 1st rounders. And he is one of the better skaters. Gillies does indeed have Mike Green syndrome. No way in hell will Gillies be put in the 2nd round. I believe right now he is schedualed to be picked 10th overall depending on where the LA Kings finish as they seem very interested in him. A scoring touch is one of the easier things to improve on at this level of hockey. Seeing the ice well and knowing how to impose your size on everyone else as well as being a defesive forward are harder to teach in hockey.

GOBLADESGO#3 (among other aliases)
12-23-2006, 12:41 AM
I've never really seen Gillies as a top notch first rounder but if he wants that status he's going to need to work harder. He needs to know what he wants and realize his potential. I just got a letter in the mail from the WHL from Saskatchewan Junior Hockey like everyone who now plays in the league did, I will give it my best shot and who knows...

GBG BLEED BLUE
12-23-2006, 09:15 AM
I think Gillies is still a first rounder for sure but he will have to step it up a notch in the 2nd half of the season to show that he is worthy of being selected in the 1st round

Hopefully the Toronto Maple Leafs select a good player in the 1st round,but it matters what place they finish in the standings though.

12-23-2006, 09:55 AM
Well the Leafs should get the first overall pick haha, you know our Leafs applause

SectionNDeserter
12-23-2006, 10:27 AM
Well the Leafs should get the first overall pick haha, you know our Leafs applauseDon't be too sure about that, I think the Sens are out to give them a run for their money for last place! :D

12-23-2006, 11:34 AM
Thank you for that, I hate the Sens, everything about them I just hate it, and it's good to see someone else bringin em down lol, but you're also right, let's just say it's easier to beat them then it is to understand Mucklers little lisp.

Dwight Schrute
12-23-2006, 02:42 PM
Thank you for that, I hate the Sens, everything about them I just hate it, and it's good to see someone else bringin em down lol, but you're also right, let's just say it's easier to beat them then it is to understand Mucklers little lisp.
i think your referring to sen's coach bryan murray

12-23-2006, 03:30 PM
Oopsies lol, you're right sorry.