PDA

View Full Version : Make a move for an overager?

Beaner
12-26-2006, 08:20 PM
I have been thinking about this for a while now so, I thought I would go thru My thought process on who the Giants should go after to fill the overage spot.

TEAMS WHO MAY MOVE AN OVERAGER:

Central division is too close to call i cant see any of those teams making a move, and considering Lethbridge just traded for Bailey, they arent selling right now.

Moose Jaw is in a rebuild mode along with Saskatoon, they may be willing to part with an overager, along with Kelowna whos recent moves make it apparent they are in full fledged rebuild now.

Chilliwack may look at trading an overager but they have to decide if they take a run at a playoff appearance in year one, or move one of their better players for more for next year.

Kamloops and PG will not be trading with Vancouver. Everyone in the US division has a good shot this year with the exception of Portland who is almost out of the race now, with Portland being 15 points out of a playoff spot now.

So for right now, my thoughts on who may be willing to move a 20, for a reasonable price, are: Kelowna, Chilliwack, Moose Jaw, Portland and Saskatoon.

Of course any player can be traded from any team, but I just dont see the Giants selling the farm for an overager.

So looking at those 5 teams roster here's the potential candidates:

FORWARDS:
Chris Ray C KEL
Dillion Johnstone RW CHI
Josh Aspenlid RW CHI
Matt Isbister C MJW
Steven Gillen C MJW
Robert Klinkhammer LW POR
Ryan Menei RW SAS

DEFENCEMAN:
Craig Lineker CHI
Stephane Lenoski CHI
Clayton Barthel KEL
Cody Thoring MJW
Max Gordichuk POR
Brad Cole SAS

GOALIES:
Jim Watt CHI (Suspended by team)
Kristofer Westbloom KEL

Now maybe we make a move for a goalie, but with us acquiring Neufeld, and Sexsmith playing well I just dont see it.

The only way I see us making a move for a D-man is if someone gets hurt before the deadline, and to be honest none of those names impress me all that much, if a Dman does go down I think the Giants will spend a lot to get a replacement.

So that leaves the forwards. looking down that list 3 names jump out at me personally.

Chris Ray (KEL)
Josh Aspenlid (CHI)
Robert Klinkhammer (POR)

Of those 3 names, Ray is the one that jumps off the page more for me than anyone else. Plays a total Don Hay style, works his butt off, great PK, and good in the faceoffs, and brings a load of playoff and MC experience.

Would Kelowna make a trade with Vancouver for their Captain? A couple years ago no, but Hamilton is a smart Gm and knows his team is in a total re-build mode, if he can get the right trade I think he would make it.

Chilliwack i think is going to make a run for making the playoffs this year, they have a good shot, and once your in anything can happen. Can't see them parting with their #3 scorer.

So that leaves Klinkhammer, whom I really like, and he also has 19 goals on a mediocre Portland team. However, he is a LW, and the Giants don't need another LW.

----

So my personal favorite would be Chris Ray. The thought of Ray and McArdle on the same line terrorizing the opposition d with their tenacious forecheck just makes me smile.

Carebear
12-26-2006, 09:19 PM
I thought I had read somewhere that Petkau (Chi) was a possibility.

Beaner
12-26-2006, 09:38 PM
Petkau is 19, I was just speculating for 20 year olds.

rinkrat
12-26-2006, 10:01 PM
I'd love to see Gagnon in a Giants jersey.Obviously a long shot,but its Christmas,I can have my wishes... :)

GBG BLEED BLUE
12-26-2006, 10:38 PM
Brad Cole?? I would hope that he stays put,substitute Cole's name for Joe Logan and that would be more reasonable for Saskatoon.

rinkrat
12-26-2006, 10:42 PM
Brad Cole?? I would hope that he stays put,substitute Cole's name for Joe Logan and that would be more reasonable for Saskatoon.
We already traded Joe Logan,I think for Andy Schenn.

GBG BLEED BLUE
12-26-2006, 10:50 PM
We already traded Joe Logan,I think for Andy Schenn.
Yes I thought I heard that somewhere,so I guess he won't be going to Vancouver,and I do not think Lorne Molleken will trade any of the other two Overagers(because the Blades are not out of the playoff race just yet) but if they do loose ground and are not in the runnings for a playoff spot then maybe a deal could be made.

Hunt24
12-27-2006, 12:32 AM
I thought I had read somewhere that Petkau (Chi) was a possibility.

Sigh. You might have read it "somewhere" because you posted it "somewhere". And then somebody reminded you that Petkau, being and 87, is 19 - not 20.

But you're totally not a puck bunny. :thumb:

Carebear
12-27-2006, 06:46 PM
Sigh. You might have read it "somewhere" because you posted it "somewhere". And then somebody reminded you that Petkau, being and 87, is 19 - not 20.

But you're totally not a puck bunny. :thumb:

HAHAHAH..no I did actually read it somewhere, I think it was in a newspaper though.
and yes, I keep forgetting he's 19, not 20..MY BAD. But hey, don't you think that if I was a puckbunny I'd KNOW how old he is!! ;)

BruinsFan19
12-27-2006, 08:26 PM
Only time I've ever read about Petkau going anywhere is when you've posted it on this forum. I read the Chilliwack papers and the Province everyday. I've never seen anything about Petkau being moved.

Speaking of which though, he's back tonight!

Carebear
12-27-2006, 08:40 PM
Only time I've ever read about Petkau going anywhere is when you've posted it on this forum. I read the Chilliwack papers and the Province everyday. I've never seen anything about Petkau being moved.

Speaking of which though, he's back tonight!

I'm not making it up! I know that I read it in a newspaper. Maybe you just missed it, cuz I know I saw it somewhere!

Glad to hear he's back, its been a long time!

Knuckles Muldoon
12-28-2006, 12:41 AM
Petkau is 19, I was just speculating for 20 year olds.
IMO, Petkau would be a GREAT fit on the Giants. I think the price would be pretty high, though.