Thread: Blades 2 vs. Thunderbirds 1

Default Blades 2 vs. Thunderbirds 1

Shoot-out win Blades!! The first 2 periods of the game were very much a Thunderbird take over. Zemlack stood on his head plus had horse shoes dangling. Eberle trows one up high over Zemlack, tucked in right behind the cross bar. Very nice goal. The blades finally pick it up in the 3rd and Patterson nets a cross crease pass from Menei. McCrae get checked from behind by McKenzie, line scuffle, MacAngus gets a roughing penalty along with Stamler, Cole sits in the penalty box, then is let out after Molleken talks with the ref. McKenzie gets Major and Game misconduct. Looked bad for the blades at end of 3rd and OT, we had a couple chances, but the Birds were winning the scrambels and keeping it in our end.

Shoot out, - Eberly misses net, Holloway misses net, Scott gets robbed by Zemlack on a deke.
    - Menei tries a deke with no goal, Cloud tries a fancy backhand shot but misses the net, then Gillies has the winner with a deke to the blocker side.

Shots Birds 30, Blades 29

3 Stars,

3. Gillies
    2. Yeomans
    1. Zemlack - very well deserved first star.

Keep it up blades,
    Also nice to see a bigger crowd, even though it was raincheck night.

Not bad re-cap but you were a little generous for the other team, they won the first period but the blades won the last two and both goalies played very well, don't forget the shots on goal were 29-30 for Seatle, so they didn't dominate us. Very fun game to watch hopefully all the new fans that came to the game will feel like comming back! I hope Lorne keeps this team intact tomorrow.

One side note Seatle was playing with 3 forwards in OT, because they are 0-9 now 0-10 in shoot-outs this year.

The Blades played very well but kinda fell asleep from the get go,and they battled back and Zemlak did play very well and he needed to, as well as everyone else.

This game was almost a nerve racking as the Playoff game last year in Medicine Hat(game #2 I think)the 80 save performance by Anton Khudobin.

Anyways I kinda wished that I could have seen Kenton Dulle in tonight's game(because he was here in Saskatoon today) but we will have to wait until saturday.

I hope the Blades can keep this momentum going with call ups in the line-up,and hopefully Jordan Braid plays this weekend. It will be ok if he does not though, and as long as the Blades keep on winning. punk rock

My twitter handle: @SaskHockeyFan23

This has to be one of the most entertaining games this year. Zemlak played outstanding. Cole almost scored the first goal of the game but went off the post and was a threat on the power play(Like always!).

Aaron Gagnon left the game in the first(undisclosed Injury)...on the Seattle Thunderbirds forum there is questions about if he was traded and the team is dealt to didn't want him to play the rest of the game. On the radio Les didn't say anything about what happened to him, all Les said is that he left the game in the first.
    McCrae left the game after the check from behind by Ian McKenzie
    Zahn left in the third(undisclosed Injury)

The Thunderbirds looked very good on the power play, same as the Blades.

The Blades were only held to 5 shots in the 1st and the Thunderbirds had 15. But then the Blades stormed back and outshot the Thunderbirds 10-4 in the 2nd. It was pretty even in the 3rd. The Thuderbirds dominated OT and Zemlak once again had to come up big. (If any of the stats are incorrect, feal free to correct them)

It was nice to see alot of fans at the game and i have to say the loudest game of the year, but it helps to be a raincheck game.

The shotout was very nerve racking. The first two shotters for the Thunderbirds missed the net but Scott hit the net but Zemlak's fast reflexes kept the puck out of the next. Menei made a nice move but Derek Yeomans suck out the right pad. Cloud tried to go back hand but missed the net.... But Gillies, what an amazing player he is, went to the right side a tucked it in under neath the blocker of Derek Yeomans. The croud at Credit Union Center went crazy. That rink was so loud, the last time i have heard the croud that loud was last years playoffs.

The Blades played very well, never gave up and came out with the win! Good game boys.

GoBladesGo
    Last edited by Blades 4 Life!; 01-10-2007 at 12:16 AM.

Actually, in the first intermission...just before the start of the second period, Dave Thomas (who was down in the dressing room area doing our usual interview with an assistant coach from the opposition) said on air that Gagnon's equipment bag was packed, but that he was no where to be seen. We mentioned that he had a pretty bad shiner over one eye and maybe something had happened with that. But, we also wondered if, with the deadline around the corner, he had been pulled from the game because a deal involving him was done! It's tough to know anything for sure...unlike N-H-L games where teams have media relations people who update the media as soon as they're able to so that speculation doesn't run wild without any basis of fact. Tough to say for sure that Gagnon was traded or hurt without knowing for sure!

Les

Thank you Les. This is all I said in my post in the Gagnon thread on the Seatle board that got deleted. All I said was that I heard on hot 93 post commentary that his equipment bag was packed and was he was gone.

I didn't see it but my wife said Zahn was gasping for air as he went to the dressing room. He had been hit pretty hard in the face a couple shifts before and they were checking out jaw after that. Whether the two are connected I don't know. But she said it looked like he was gasping for air. Interested to see what is up with Mccrae. To me it looked like collarbone, shoulder. Hopefully nothing to serious. Anyways, great game last night! For awhile the Blades were doing everything right and it was just not working, just not getting the bounces at all. very nice to see them battle through and get the win! As far as trade deadline I heard the league is not releasing anything till after the deadline passes. Don't know if it's true but it seems to be at this point. Ugh...