Brandon, Manitoba -- To no one's real surprise, veteran left-winger Mark Derlago has been named the new Captain of the Western Hockey League's Eastern Division leading Brandon Wheat Kings.

Derlago becomes the 49th player to wear the 'C' in Brandon, replacing 20-year old center Teegan Moore, who was dealt Wednesday afternoon to the Portland Winter Hawks in exchange for left-winger Robert Klinkhammer.

Wearing the 'C' won't be new for Derlago, who served as the club's captain earlier this year when Moore was out with a shoulder injury.

A 5-year WHL veteran, Moore was in his second season as Wheat King captain, taking over from Tim Konsorada in September 2005.

A former Manitoba AAA Midget League scoring champion, Derlago is in his fourth and final WHL season and is currently second on the club in scoring with 26 goals and 46 points in 43 games. In 181 career games, he has 127 points including 62 goals and was chosen the 2005-06 winner of the Meighen Haddad &o. Most Valuable Player Award last season.

One of only two Wheat Kings to play in all 72 games last season, Derlago also captured the Manitoba Hydro Turk Broda Trophy last year for being chosen the WHL club's Top Manitoba Born Player.

Derlago and the Wheat Kings hope to have Klinkhammer in the lineup this Friday when they travel to Prince Albert to meet the Raiders. The 6'3” 212 lb Lethbridge product, who is among the league leaders with 23 goals and 42 points in 38 games this season, is currently en route after leaving Portland late last night.

“This summer, I really worked hard in the off-season and got in the best shape of my life,” Klinkhammer told CKLQ's Bruce Luebke Wednesday. “Portland put a lot of faith in me right when I got there and put me in every situation offensively...they played me everywhere, so I think I just aptlized on my situation.”

Western Manitoba hockey fans will get their first opportunity to see the newest Wheat King on Saturday night when Brandon hosts Seattle at the Keystone Centre. Tickets are on sale now at the Keystone Centre box office, by calling 726-3555 or online at ticketmaster.ca