Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Possible pick ups?

With Brandon it might be either Kauk or Dittmer.Prince Albert might leave Dowhay or Scherger unprotected.

I really don't see TC leaving Swaby unprotected.He could possibly be their best defenseman.

hockeydude19 Guest

AJHL has some good young talent that i think would help out the expansion team for sure

the AJ would be a good place to look but the thing with the players that play in the BC AJ SJ MJ is that they play one game in the DuB they would lose the NCAA paid tickets
    www.childrenswish.ca

Under NCAA rules the DuB is considerd minor pro because the players get "allowances"
    www.childrenswish.ca

I think theres lots of AJ players would come over on invite, especially just for the tryout. Also to sign with a W team you will get at least one year of college assistance (tuition and books) for every year you play in that league.

Its too bad NCAA considers the "allowances" W players get make them inelligible. I guess they have to do something creative to keep some of the good players from going the W route. But really they arent much different than what alot of AJ teams or USHL teams pay. The W allowances are fairly strictly limited; and little more than gas and munchies money. For the AJ the allowances are often similar. Though they can and do pay more to some guys they wish to attract, who dont care about the NCAA limits.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeyes
    Under NCAA rules the DuB is considerd minor pro because the players get "allowances"
    The WHL is not considered minor pro and the players do not lose their eligibility because of the small allowances they receive. This is a common misconception. The ineligibility pertains to playing in a league where some players have signed professional contracts. Any way you look at it, they lose their eligibility so it is a bit of a moot point.

On another note, you need to find out what percent of BC AB SA and MA Jr A players actually get a scholarship. Many of the good players do. Then you need to find out how many get a full ride. You would be surprised. In many cases the amount a player has to pay to go to a US College is the same as paying the full shot at a Canadian University. On the other hand, 100% of all WHL players are eligible to receive a 1 year scholarship per year played. Although it does not amount to a full US scholarship, on average it is a great opportunity.

Before any one jumps all over me, I firmly believe both options are excellent choices for young hockey players and students. Neither option is better or worse, and it is up to the individual to decide.

Ok Neutral. Thats interesting. Thats the first time I heard that the ineligibility was about playing with guys who may have signed a pro contract. I thought it was about allowances/payment; and it always bugged me that most teams AJ allowances werent much different. I thought it was just kinda a BS way to declare W players ineligible, so that some of the good players could be attracted to Tier 2 and the college teams by schollys, otherwise maybe they'd all go the W route, if they could still get schollys to go at 21. Like the W guys can still go play university and college in Canada no problem.

But I still think thats odd, because although it doesnt happen much, theres no reason why an AJ player couldnt be drafted to the NHL and signed before hes done AJ. I dont think that would tarnish all the other AJ players eligibility.

Either way, you're right, its a personal choice. And the W support is very good for most of the players.

Quote Originally Posted by aaAlta

But I still think thats odd, because although it doesnt happen much, theres no reason why an AJ player couldnt be drafted to the NHL and signed before hes done AJ. I dont think that would tarnish all the other AJ players eligibility.
    If an AJ player was good enough to be drafted and signed, the NHL team would ensist the player did not finish in the AJ. The player would move to the WHL or if they were 20, potentially to the ECHL or AHL.

Default Ncaa

The W.H.L. is considered minor pro because the players are paid, although a limited amount, it is still considered pay to play hockey. I know the NCAA a couple years ago were meeting to cut some slack on this rule but nixed the idea. Although players that get scholarships in college are not considered minor pro but if they play 1 game with the W.H.L. they are considered ineligible for any U.S. college scholarships. It really has nothing to so with who is signed in the W.H.L. If that were the case then the A.J.H.L. would fall into the same catagory as there has been players drafted there also so that would make that league and any other Tier 2 league fall into the same status as the W.H.L. This is the NCAA'S way of using some clout so players don't go to the W.H.L. and then get a scholarship when they are 20 after playing their prime years up North. This battle between the NCAA and Hockey Canada has been ongoing for years. The NCAA is also protecting their players from going North to test the waters then returning South when they find it wasen't all what they thought and still getting a scholarship. It's their way of protecting their players and investment on up and coming talent. The U.S. puts alot more money than Canada into it's hockey programs and want to make sure their investment is protected.

Scout
    # 8-9-11-22 ALWAYS REMEMBERED

From what i have been told a player who plays in only one WHL game does not lose any hope of recieving a Scholy to an NCAA university. They do however lose 1 full year of eligibility. They do not lose thier entire eligibility until they are added to the activated roster, rather than just an AP or emergancy call up.
    nhl Go Tigers Go