Everett Herald

Wookie returns to Everett

By Nick Patterson
Herald Writer

Last Friday during the game between the Everett Silvertips and the Vancouver Giants at the Everett Events Center, Giants left wing Michael Wuchterl spent his time skating around the rink looking for someone to lay a heavy hit upon, yapping at his opponents and getting involved in scrums following the whistle.

In other words, it was the same old Wookie.

Wuchterl, the former Silvertip fan favorite, was still doing his thing when he visited the EEC for the first time since being traded early last season.

"It's a lot different," the 19-year-old said about being a member of the opposition in Everett. "But I still saw some fans with signs for me and some of my jerseys, so it felt really good to see that. I've never played in a better arena, it's a great place to play."

Wuchterl, who became known as Wookie in Everett, captured the imagination of the fans. He arrived as a non-listed invitee to Everett's initial training camp in 2003 and was the only 16-year-old to make the team that stunned the league by winning the Western Hockey League's Western Conference championship as an expansion club. The fans were thrilled by his fearless full-speed-ahead approach, as well as the reckless disregard he exhibited both for his opponents and his own well-being when lining up a hit.

However, he was always a part-time player in his two-plus seasons in Everett, totaling just four goals and 10 assists in 114 games before being traded to Lethbridge early this past season. He spent more than a year in Lethbridge, at times struggling with concussions. He had a career-best 12 points in 41 games with the Hurricanes this season when Memorial Cup host Vancouver picked him up at the Jan. 10 trade deadline.

"I was pumped to get back on the coast here," Wuchterl said. "Getting a chance to play in the Memorial Cup is a dream come true.

"I'm a little more defensive- minded now and I don't run around as much," Wuchterl added. "Your body can only take so much beating. But I'll still lay the big hit, that's something I'll never lose."

Slap shots: The Seattle Thunderbirds took another step toward securing their future move to a new facility in Kent. Last Wednesday the City of Kent announced the selection of a contracting company for the proposed Kent Event Center, and pre-construction work was scheduled to begin immediately. If everything goes according to schedule, the KEC will open in the fall of 2008 with the T-birds as the main tenant. ... T-birds captain Aaron Gagnon, who is sidelined with a separated shoulder, has been serving as an assistant coach during his recovery, assisting on forward line decisions. ... There's been a Dustin Slade sighting. The 20-year-old goaltender, who walked out on the Giants in November to pursue a pro job but has been stuck in limbo ever since, was spotted practicing with the Junior B Kamloops Storm. He was allegedly getting in shape for an impending signing with a higher-level team. ... Tri-City left wing Colton Yellow Horn was named the WHL Player of the Week. Yellow Horn had three goals and an assist in a pair of Tri-City victories.

League leaders: Points - Martin Hanzal (Red Deer) 61; goals - Colton Yellow Horn (Tri-City), Reid Jorgensen (Kamloops), Mark Derlago (Brandon) 31; assists - Hanzal 42; penalty minutes - Mike Gauthier (Prince Albert) 183; wins - Matt Keetley (Medicine Hat) 27; goals against average - Leland Irving (Everett) 1.72; save percentage - Irving .934.