Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Games 42 & 44 Vs. Vancouver

Default hmm

Of course, another way to look at it is (and this is thinking far ahead), maybe he'd want to Showcase his #2 goalie for a possible off-season move? Irving will undoubtedly be back next season and Reekie will be 20. The Tips aren't going to keep a 20 YO backup, so Reekie is either goind to be sent somewhere else or in one of the other pro leagues (AHL, ECHL, etc..).

The other option is to play Reekie first. Go Reekie, Irving, Irving. But I don't see that happening because you want to set the tone for the weekend in that first game.

Also, what are the Tips? Something like 0-6 or 0-7 in Nationally televised game sin Canada? That's approaching Seattle T-Bird shootout prowess right there!

Also, what are the Tips? Something like 0-6 or 0-7 in Nationally televised game sin Canada? That's approaching Seattle T-Bird shootout prowess right there!
    0-5 in Shaw-televised games that I know of ...

4 games last season (Western Conference finals vs. Vancouver)

1 game this season (Dec. 8 at Kelowna)

Default But it's not SHAW this time...

... This time it's Rogers Sportsnet!

(Perhaps Canadians on here can explain the difference)
    Redwic

Shaw - local access cable TV.

Rogers Sportsnet...National sports channel. With four differnet channels for different timezones...ie will play a Vancouver vs. Bruins game on Sportsnet Pacific and a Leafs Anaheim game on Sportsnet Ontario at the same time.

totally different level of production value.
    Warm Up the Bus....

Default Goaltender Question: It Looks Like We Have The Answer!

From today's Herald article:

"...goaltender David Reekie, who backstopped the Tips to the two previous victories over Vancouver, suffered a freak off-ice ankle sprain and is doubtful for the weekend. But those potential losses should be offset by the returns of Mueller and Irving."
    ------------

So I guess that it will be Irving-Irving-Irving after all!
    Redwic

Default bummer

That's too bad for him. I wonder if it's bad enough that they scratch him and put Shayne back on the bench?

LOL - I guess I should have read the article I posted below before this post!

"With Reekie likely out for the weekend, Everett was left scrambling to find a backup goalie. The Tips hoped to bring in 15-year-old Brett Gagnon to serve as Irving's backup should Reekie be unable to dress. Gagnon was Everett's 11th-round pick in last year's bantam draft."

I sure hope Irving holds up!
    Last edited by Tipped Off; 01-19-2007 at 11:31 AM.

Default Here's the whole Herald preview article

Different look for tonight's rematch
    Unlike last time, Tips, Giants should be at full strength

By Nick Patterson
    Herald Writer

EVERETT - This time it's for real.

Once again the top two teams in the Canadian Hockey League are squaring off twice in a weekend, as the top-ranked Everett Silvertips face the No. 2 Vancouver Giants at home tonight and in Vancouver on Sunday.

But this time the teams will actually resemble themselves.

"I think these are going to be different games," Everett center Peter Mueller said. "It's going to be a little more intense with all the guys back."

When the teams met for back-to-back games on Dec. 15 and 16 they were in the same position, with Everett ranked No. 1 in the CHL and Vancouver No. 2. Everett prevailed in a pair of tightly-contested games, winning 2-1 in a shootout in Vancouver and 3-2 in overtime in Everett.

However, the teams were shadows of their true selves. Everett was missing Mueller to suspension and No. 1 goaltender Leland Irving to Team Canada for the World Junior Hockey Championships. Vancouver was even worse off, losing four players - defenseman Cody Franson (Canada), left wing Kenndal McArdle (Canada), left wing Michal Repik (Czech Republic) and center Mario Bliznak (Slovakia) - to World Juniors. All those players should be back in the lineup tonight.

Then there's the changes the teams made at the trade deadline. Vancouver made three moves, bringing in center Wacey Rabbit, defenseman A.J. Thelen and left wing Michael Wuchterl, a former Everett favorite. Everett added experience to its back end by bringing in defenseman Dane Crowley.

So this weekend's games should provide a better picture of what the games will be like, should the teams that battled for last season's Western Conference championship meet in the playoffs again.

"I definitely put more weight into these games," Everett alternate captain Jonathan Harty said. "You always remember your last games anyway, and with full lineups these should be true testers.

"I think the style of play should be pretty similar (to the previous games)," Harty added. "I think there might be a little more offensive bang to it."

However, just because the teams have their full rosters available doesn't mean they'll be at full strength. Everett in particular has problems. The Tips knew they'd be without defenseman Graham Potuer because of his wrist injury. However, the team is also fighting the flu bug. Center Zach Hamill was reportedly stricken hard while away at the Top Prospects Game. Also, Crowley missed the past two practices because of sickness.

In addition, goaltender David Reekie, who backstopped the Tips to the two previous victories over Vancouver, suffered a freak off-ice ankle sprain and is doubtful for the weekend. But those potential losses should be offset by the returns of Mueller and Irving.

Mueller was supposed to be the wild card when the teams met in December, the one World Juniors participant available since Team USA had already chosen its team. However, Mueller was suspended for both games because of a checking-from-behind major penalty and was forced to watch the games from the stands.

"It was tough," Mueller said about spending the previous games as a spectator. "I think I was the person screaming in the crowd the most. Hopefully this time I can help make a difference."

Irving is fresh off earning a gold medal with Team Canada at World Juniors. However, he spent the whole tournament on the bench and has played just one game since, facing just 12 shots in the process. This weekend will present Irving with the type of challenge he hasn't seen in more than a month.

"Personally, this is something I've been looking forward to since the start of the season," Irving said. "Vancouver is a great team in this league, but we've got a great group of guys this season who are definitely capable of making a Memorial Cup run."

Slap shots: Sunday's game at Vancouver had its start time moved up an hour to 4 p.m. to accomodate Canadian television. ... Neither Hamill nor defenseman Taylor Ellington, who also participated in the Top Prospects Game, returned from Quebec City in time for Thursday's practice. Everett coach Kevin Constantine said he didn't know whether either would be ready for tonight's game, though he was pessimistic about Hamill. ... With Reekie likely out for the weekend, Everett was left scrambling to find a backup goalie. The Tips hoped to bring in 15-year-old Brett Gagnon to serve as Irving's backup should Reekie be unable to dress. Gagnon was Everett's 11th-round pick in last year's bantam draft.

Looks like Vancouver is gonna have a bit of the upperhand in these games.

Silvertips scracthes:
    Reekie
    Pouter
    Hamil (maybe)

With also Beach being a big target for Lucic...wonder if KC is gonna play the lines to keep those two seperated. As far as I can tell Vancouver really doesn't have anyone out, someone correct me if I am wrong. I know in the hearld it was said Ellington could be out, but being short a D-man already, I doubt he would sit if he could skate. Also with the defense, we have Matt Strong playing his first game as a Tip. If Vancouver can hit that as a weakness, it could be a long weekend.
    I take pride in not owning a cowbell!

Default Hope I am wrong

I hope I am wrong, but I personally don't see the Tips having a good weekend. Our last three games have been against Portland and we looked horrible in one of them and just average in another. Now, with some Flu and injury bugs I could see the Tips coming out of the weekend 1-2 or worse. Like I said, I hope I'm wrong. I've been wrong before...lol.

Default Hmmm...

I think that tonight might be a rough game to watch, in multiple ways, regardless if the Silvertips come away with the "W". If they win tonight, then I have a concern that the team might play 'down' tomorrow against Tri-City, only to rebound & increase intensity against Vancouver on Sunday. Or if they lose tonight, they might bring out a lot of intensity to beat Tri-City tomorrow, expending a lot of needed energy for Sunday's game against Vancouver.

Then again, we could win all three or lose all three. Anything is possible!
    Redwic