Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Games 42 & 44 Vs. Vancouver

Hey Tipped off -

Any word on who for the Tips left the game and what the word on injuries are?

I missed the tip who was helped off at the end of the second as I was watching Beach waiting for him to start something, which he didn't.....

The second player I thought was #18 who got hurt blocking a shot, but when I checked the roster turns out the Tips dont have a #18. LOL

RETIRED JERSEY: #32 CHAD SCHARFF

Default Harty & ?

I know one was Harty. He left in the 2nd and never returned. I didn't realize a 2nd player left. As it turns out it was another defenseman (which put us 4 defenseman down!). This is from today's Everett Herald....

Everett's fatigue was clear down the stretch as, with just three veteran defensemen available because of injury and illness, the Tips went into several stalls and skated the entire four-on-four overtime with three forwards and just one defenseman. But they held out for one point, then earned the second when Brennan Sonne and Mueller both beat Sexsmith in the shootout.

Slap shots: Everett finished the game short-handed as defenseman Jonathan Harty and left wing Lukas Vartovnik sat out the third period with minor injuries. Both are expected to be available for Wednesday's home game against Portland. ... Everett was without two other veteran defenseman as Dane Crowley (flu) and Graham Potuer (wrist) were both scratched

Default Everett Herald

Tips win shootout
    Everett rallies to tie the score late in the third period before beating WHL rival Vancouver for the second time in three nights and the fourth time in four games this season.

By Nick Patterson
    Herald Writer

VANCOUVER, B.C. - Just when you thought you'd seen it all from the Everett Silvertips-Vancouver Giants rivalry, along comes a game to add yet another chapter to what's become an epic series.

In a game that saw just about everything, the Silvertips dug deep and pulled off an escape act worthy of Houdini, defeating the Giants 6-5 in a shootout Sunday evening.

Zach Hamill, fighting off the flu, scored the tying goal on a five-on-three power play with four minutes, 27 seconds in regulation. The Tips then won the shootout 2-0, allowing Everett to prevail for the second time in three nights in a matchup between the top two teams in the entire Canadian Hockey League.

"It was another game that's typical of this series," Everett coach Kevin Constantine said. "It's always spirited. Both teams tonight had moments where they could have run away with the game because of the momentum, and each team responded well."

The final score only tells a fraction of the story of a game that saw wild momentum swings, four ties, three lead changes, two Everett goals scored 12 seconds apart, and two Vancouver goals scored 55 seconds apart moments after an apparent Everett goal was waved off and Constantine ejected.

The only thing it didn't have was the same edge as in Friday's ill-tempered affair, which ended in a line brawl following the Tips' 4-2 victory in Everett.

The fact both teams were playing their third game in three nights in three different cities probably played a significant role in that.

"We dug deep," said Peter Mueller, who led Everett with a goal and two assists. "We dug to the bottom of the tanks tonight. I couldn't be prouder of the boys than I am right now."

Everett (36-7-0-2) is now 4-0 this season against Vancouver (30-10-3-5), the team that swept the Tips out of the playoffs last season. The season series may not reflect the competitiveness of the games - two were won in shootouts and one in overtime - but it seems the Tips have grabbed the mental edge.

"It's definitely a big confidence builder," defenseman Jason Fransoo, said of Everett's success against Vancouver. "They're a great team, they're right with us. They're tight games, but we've found a way to win and that's the main thing."

Ondrej Fiala, Moises Gutierrez and Dan Gendur also scored for the Tips. Leland Irving had a rough night in goal for Everett, but still made 33 saves to pick up the win.

J.D. Watt scored twice to pace Vancouver. Michal Repik, Wacey Rabbit and Brendan Mikkelson added goals and Tyson Sexsmith made 15 saves.

"We took some penalties we probably shouldn't have in the third (period) that cost us," Vancouver captain Brett Festerling said. "It was good effort by our guys. We worked hard.

"We're down," Festerling added. "We don't want to lose, especially to these guys. There's a mutual dislike for each other."

With 12 minutes left in the game, Everett's task appeared impossible. After Vancouver had taken a 5-4 lead on Watt's power-play goal, the Giants were sent right back on the power play as Constantine received a bench minor and a game misconduct - "That's the first time in my career I've gotten an unsportsmanlike (penalty) for saying nothing," Constantine said - before the ensuing faceoff.

Though the Tips looked like they were about to drop from exhaustion, Everett caught a break when Rabbit and defenseman A.J. Thelen took penalties 1:18 apart late in the period, giving the Tips a five-on-three advantage.

Everett capitalized as Mueller played a backdoor pass that Hamill was just able to guide past Sexsmith to tie it.

Everett's fatigue was clear down the stretch as, with just three veteran defensemen available because of injury and illness, the Tips went into several stalls and skated the entire four-on-four overtime with three forwards and just one defenseman. But they held out for one point, then earned the second when Brennan Sonne and Mueller both beat Sexsmith in the shootout.

The game had see-sawed to that point. Fiala and Gutierrez scored 12 seconds apart midway through the first period giving the Tips a 2-0 lead and a new franchise record for shortest time between goals. The previous record was 15 seconds set on Feb. 15, 2004 against Brandon.

But Vancouver responded with three straight. The Giants' second and third goals, by Rabbit and Watt early in the second period, came moments after Hamill had an apparent goal waved off.

From there the teams traded the lead until Hamill's goal forced overtime.

Slap shots: Everett finished the game short-handed as defenseman Jonathan Harty and left wing Lukas Vartovnik sat out the third period with minor injuries. Both are expected to be available for Wednesday's home game against Portland. ... Everett was without two other veteran defenseman as Dane Crowley (flu) and Graham Potuer (wrist) were both scratched. ... With Hamill back after missing two games with the flu, left wing Shane Harper, the offensive star in Friday's matchup, was a healthy scratch. ... Sonne was back after serving a one-game suspension for being the third man into a fight during Friday's game-ending brawl.

Silvertips 6, Giants 5

Everett 2 2 1 0 - 6

Vancouver 1 3 1 0 - 5

(Everett won shootout 2-0)

First Period-1, Everett, Fiala 6 (Smyke, Alic), 10:07. 2, Everett, Gutierrez 26 (Mueller, Strong), 10:19. 3, vancouver, Repik 16, 15:57. Penalties-Sonne, Everett (fighting), 3:29; Hunt, Vancouver (fighting), 3:29; Watt, Vancouver (interference), 3:38; Watt, Vancouver (interference), 17:25.

Second Period-4, Vancouver, Rabbit 3 (Machacek), 1:26. 5, Vancouver, Watt 23 (Hunt, Bouma), 2:21. 6, Everett, Gendur 11, 5:34. 7, Everett, Mueller 11 (Fiala, Hamill), 16:49 (pp). 8. Vancouver, Mikkelson 3 (Repik, Lucic), 19:21 (pp). Penalties-Beach, Everett (slashing), 8:56; Ellington, Everett (tripping), 9:57; McArdle, Vancouver (slashing), 16:24; Alic, Everett (roughing), 18:10.

Third Period-9, Vancouver, Watt 24 (Franson, Rabbit), 8:00 (pp). 10, Everett, Hamill 17 (Mueller, Fransoo), 15:33 (pp). Penalties-Dailey, Everett (interference), 3:31; Fiala, Everett (high sticking), 7:00; Everett coach Constantine (unsportsmanlike conduct-game misconduct), 8:00; Rabbit, Vancouver (hooking), 13:44; Thelen, Vancouver (high sticking), 14:02.

Shootout-Everett 2 (Sonne G, Mueller G); Vancouver 0 (Rabbit NG, Repik NG).

Overtime-No goals. Penalties-None.

Shots on goal-Everett 4-9-6-1-20. Vancouver 8-13-14-3-38.

Power-play opportunities-Everett 2 of 5. Vancouver 2 of 6.

Goalies-Everett, Irving 21-4-0-2 (38 shots, 33 saves). Vancouver, Sexsmith 19-7-2-4 (20 shots, 15 saves).

A-10,704.

It was nice to see so many Tip fans in the rink last night, filling up the over 10,000 mark.
    Warm Up the Bus....

Default Let me try to clear up the confusion...

Harty left the game during the 2nd Period. No other defensemen left the game, as far as I recall. That left Fransoo, Zetariuk, Ellington, Alexander, and Strong. Several of those guys really looked sick, let alone fatigued, and Strong is a rookie (and was making rookie mistakes, I might add). So our defensive unit was struggling.

By the overtime period, the players were exhausted. That was especially true for the defensemen. Constantine decided to go the conservative route, rather than over-extending his defensive corps. Rather than 2-2 (two forwards, two defensemen), he decided to go with 3-1 (three forwards, one defenseman). However, at least one of the three forwards used at any one time was a two-way player (i.e. Mueller, Smyke, etc.). So the Silvertips were not totally without defense, as the Herald article implied.

Constantine appeared set on playing conservatively in the overtime period so that no problems resulted from the weakness of having a depleted, sick, and exhausted defensive unit. He did what he felt he had to do to give his team the best chance to win, given the circumstances.
    Redwic

Default Beach Fight

This was posted on the Tips forum. If you want to check out the Beach fight from Sunday night:

if that doesn't work, try this:
    http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...ent=Beach2.flv