Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The ICE still are not getting respect!

Default The ICE still are not getting respect!

The latest CHL rankings were released, and the ICE did not make the list. I am not even a regular ICE fan, but I am still totally perplexed by this!
    ------------

1 Everett Silvertips (34-7-0-1) 1 16
    2 Vancouver Giants (29-9-3-4) 2 16
    3 Barrie Colts (31-11-0-1) 3 13
    4 Kamloops Blazers (31-11-1-1) 7 9
    5 Lewiston MAINEiacs (32-9-1-3) 4 9
    6 Medicine Hat Tigers (33-14-2-0) 5 13
    7 London Knights (29-10-1-3) 6 16
    8 Plymouth Whalers (29-11-1-2) 9 4
    9 Kitchener Rangers (28-13-1-2) 8 4
    10 Cape Breton Screaming Eagles (30-13-2-0) 10 9
    ------------

Kootenay has the SECOND-BEST Overall Record and Winning Percentage in the entire WHL, and the third-most for standings points (and in fairness they only trail Medicine Hat by two points, with four games in-hand).

What's going on?
    Redwic

I agree and I'm a Tigers fan. The ICE also have a streak going of 11-0-1-0...

...Tigers will end that on Sunday though punk rock

Take solice in the concept that this power ranking is done from the East, is made to get the CHL in the media leading into the weekend games, and that last time I checked the games that count, are decided on the Ice, and that is what we are all about. nhl3

it is strange that we didnt make the list, but as a fellow Ice fan pointed out on another board, the year we won the memorial cup we weren't on the list either
    GO ICE GO !!!

not to mention theres probly no way they will put 5 WHL teams in the top #5 or 6 rankings let along a %50 WHL split in the top ten.

They cant make the west look that dominant dancing pi lol
    Cranbrook's own, Kootenay ICE 1998 to 2012, 2011 WHL CHAMPIONS!!!
    THE PEOPLE'S CHAMP'S!!

Some people will say that the Ice never get the respect of "press" that other large market teams get but I think that we like it that way and it keeps our motivation going. The boys are not noticed as much as they would be in Van, Calgary etc. I think it keeps their heads on a level field and don't get caught up on thinking about how the papers say how good they are. In my opinion this is where the small market has it over the large and why year in and year out we always have a competitive team. Let them have their rankings, we will see who wins out in the end. GO ICE GO!!!!
    Scars are just tattoo's with better stories!

Quote Originally Posted by Chipper
    Some people will say that the Ice never get the respect of "press" that other large market teams get but I think that we like it that way and it keeps our motivation going. The boys are not noticed as much as they would be in Van, Calgary etc. I think it keeps their heads on a level field and don't get caught up on thinking about how the papers say how good they are. In my opinion this is where the small market has it over the large and why year in and year out we always have a competitive team. Let them have their rankings, we will see who wins out in the end. GO ICE GO!!!!
    The main reason that the Ice seem to have a competitive team year in and year out, is due to ther fantastic supply of goal tenders that have come throught the system. If you aren't able to stop the puck you aren't going to be i most games and the Ice have been able to keep games close enough in the difficult times and when the offence is clicking, it isn't close.

I do like the small vs large market media comparison, if you are a Hitman reading the papers, the smoke blown up about your play has to push your head into the clouds.

[QUOTE=Rammer]The main reason that the Ice seem to have a competitive team year in and year out, is due to ther fantastic supply of goal tenders that have come throught the system.

are you serious rammer. you do make some good points and yes we have had some fantastic goalies here but most started off slow and developed well. the exception being Blackburn.

The tallent in both offence and defence we have had here over the years is amazing more so than the great goalies like Glass, Dakers, Blackburn and Boxma.

there was alot of guys that didnt make it here too , tenders like Bridges, Harvey, Kolewaski, Pool, and now Pugh.

So four good goalies versus a host of tallent up front some of which are playing in the NHL today and lots more in the AHL, and ECHL. with a few more destined for the show yet.

Goalies dont make a team, the Roster makes a team and the guys have to gell together to know everyones habbits especially the tenders. yes goalies win you games but not every night when there is only two of you.

dont get me wrong though, I am a goalie fan and am SO glad dakers came back this year as I'm sure a lot of people are. But even he spent his time on the bench and develloped there behind Glass. He is not the same goalie as he was 2 or 3 years ago as his skill and devellopment have really taken form now and is exactly the type of goalie to take you through the playoffs and a possible Cup appearance.

You're doing great Taylor!! keep up the good work out there.

GO ICE GO!!!
    Last edited by fightstrap50; 01-19-2007 at 07:24 PM.
    Cranbrook's own, Kootenay ICE 1998 to 2012, 2011 WHL CHAMPIONS!!!
    THE PEOPLE'S CHAMP'S!!

I must admit I'm surprised the Giants have stayed as high in the rankings as they have. After a very strong first quarter the Giants gave been only slightly better than average, and have lost on a regular basis to the other teams in the top ten list.

I just hope the ranking committee has foresight and knows the Giants will beat the 'Tips in the upconing two games LOL

[QUOTE=fightstrap50]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rammer
    The main reason that the Ice seem to have a competitive team year in and year out, is due to ther fantastic supply of goal tenders that have come throught the system.

are you serious rammer. you do make some good points and yes we have had some fantastic goalies here but most started off slow and developed well. the exception being Blackburn.

The tallent in both offence and defence we have had here over the years is amazing more so than the great goalies like Glass, Dakers, Blackburn and Boxma.

there was alot of guys that didnt make it here too , tenders like Bridges, Harvey, Kolewaski, Pool, and now Pugh.

So four good goalies versus a host of tallent up front some of which are playing in the NHL today and lots more in the AHL, and ECHL. with a few more destined for the show yet.

Goalies dont make a team, the Roster makes a team and the guys have to gell together to know everyones habbits especially the tenders. yes goalies win you games but not every night when there is only two of you.

dont get me wrong though, I am a goalie fan and am SO glad dakers came back this year as I'm sure a lot of people are. But even he spent his time on the bench and develloped there behind Glass. He is not the same goalie as he was 2 or 3 years ago as his skill and devellopment have really taken form now and is exactly the type of goalie to take you through the playoffs and a possible Cup appearance.

You're doing great Taylor!! keep up the good work out there.

GO ICE GO!!!
    The goalies run consecutively with the Ice in Cranbrook. Remember that a goalie plays the full 60 minutes while the offensive players run 25 minutes or so a game. The Ice are well coached, and do their job to make the goalies easier, but the goalie position relies much more on raw talent than any other position on the team. Think back to the Memorial Championship and where the Ice would have been without Boxma.

By no means am I dissing the forwards that have moved on, but other than Stoll, none have made a huge impact both on with the Ice and the NHL. That is something that falls into the coaching credit the more that I think about it. I know that you will bring up Svatos, but he wasn't as much an impact with the Ice as he has been with the Av's.

What thinketh you?