Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Who do we protect in expansion draft

Default Who do we protect in expansion draft

Tough decision !

Not in any order-Protected
    Banchs, Dietrich, Boychuk, D King, Todd, Fadden, Craige, Kerr, Wright, Bobbee, Leclerc, Maniago, Frederickson, Adamyk,

Depends if they are in AHL or go on to University hockey ?
    Kudelka, Randy King , Knudsen, Farmanara, Knudson (Kudelka will be gone for sure )

On the fence
    Chorneyko, Giofriddo , Matlock, Versteeg

Young talent we might lose as well
    Iwanski, Orfino, Pillar, Murray , Lecuyer, (1990)

Glad we can only lose one !
    Last edited by grainbear; 01-21-2007 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Missed player

I agree with almost all of your list except Versteeg will be protected. He's going to be a monster back there for us. Imagine him at 19 laying guys out.

I see Kerr being exposed, but not taken.

Default u could be right

That is why I had Versteeg on the fence, if his foot speed continues to improve I agree that by the end of the season he will be protected. He plays smart defensively and when he takes the shot from the point it can be a rocket, as well as he hits as tough as Kerr. I just at this point in time see Kerr as being faster. Also it will depend on the 19 year old defensemen , how many do we protect with the possiblity of them going to the AHL I wish Versteeg all the best , would love to keep him around

Default Kerr and Knudsen

I would not protect Kerr or Knudsen. After the Blazers game (I know it is his first game in a while) I would let Knudesen go. Kerr is not that good. Very slow , makes bad passes all the time. I would protect a younger player and take the chance , or go out and offer Edmonton, Knudsen or Kerr. Our Defence right now is very weak, but I think Kerr or Knudesn would be expanable at season's end. We do have some good young D men in the system. Just my thoughts ....

Quote Originally Posted by taylor0017
    I would not protect Kerr or Knudsen. After the Blazers game (I know it is his first game in a while) I would let Knudesen go. Kerr is not that good. Very slow , makes bad passes all the time. I would protect a younger player and take the chance , or go out and offer Edmonton, Knudsen or Kerr. Our Defence right now is very weak, but I think Kerr or Knudesn would be expanable at season's end. We do have some good young D men in the system. Just my thoughts ....
    Based on the Blazer game, I'd let the whole lot of them go. Fortunately there's more games left to play for players to prove their worth..

How does Knudson compare to King. And whos his typical partner? Like is he looking like a top four, or more like an option in the 4 - 5 territory? Does he add to team strength or toughness?

McCallum was on the Canes list since the bantam draft, but is he still? Was a deadly combination with D King when they played together on Meadow Lake. But the Canes will only protect the top roster players. And I dont think Edm can take a 91, so Carter would be safe.

Can anyone give an opinion on how Knudson compares to R King?

ramrod1 Guest

is there any site to see who is listed by who?

Default Craig M

Not sure if he is still listed or not , just know that he was not at our training camp last fall. Which surprised me because I thought he would have made the team if he had attended . I believe he is already listed but it might be Moose Jaw. Also though Carter Ashton , certainly did not look out of place in his 2 appearances with us on the road trip. Any one know how Taylor Pillar is doing in Saskatoon this year as well.

Actually you can tell who was on the Canes protected list by noting who all was at main camp at the beginning of the year. That was pretty much it.

Anyhow, I'd say a non rostered 89 isnt going to be protected from the expansion draft. I'd protect the best three 87's, another seven Fs and four Ds, and both goalies. Something like that.

But I dont think you can expect to see much change on the D corp next year. I'm not convinced Kudelka will move on yet, and so I'd protect him anyhow. I'd also protect Wright, Craige and Bobbee. I'd leave Knudson and R King exposed and if neither get taken then see next camp if either looks like one of the keeper 87s (unless Kudelka comes back, then they might both have to go). So then I think I need to come up with a way to protect both Kerr and Versteeg. That way I'd be feeling 6 deep on D I know are returning. That should be good.

Taylor 0017 - Maybe I'd feel different if I knew who the good young D men are in the pipeline? They traded away Montgomery and McColm. And Fredrickson might not even be eager to come back if most of the above guys return and he still looks like #7 or #8. I'm sure he was pretty disappointed with his ice time this year, as a #8, before being re-assigned. Who do you think the best prospects are on D?