Thread: tips name Fransoo captain

Default tips name Fransoo captain

Everett, WA: The Everett Silvertips Hockey Club has announced that Silvertips defenseman Jason Fransoo has been named team captain of the hockey club. The Silvertips have also announced that defenseman Jonathan Harty has been named a permanent assistant captain while forwards Zach Hamill, Peter Mueller, Brennan Sonne and defenseman Jesse Zetariuk have been named assistant captains on a rotation basis.

Fransoo is in second full season with the Silvertips. The North Battleford, SK native currently leads all Silvertips defensemen in scoring with 7 goals and 24 assists for 31 points and a +/- rating of +13 in 45 games this season. Fransoo was acquired by the Silvertips in a trade with the Swift Current Broncos before the 2005-2006 season. With Everett last season, Fransoo recorded 3 goals and 15 assists for 18 points in 72 games. During the 2006 WHL Playoffs, Jason posted a goal and 2 assists for 3 points in 15 post season games. Fransoo played in all 72 regular season and 15 playoff contests last year with Everett and was the recipient of the 2005-2006 Everett Silvertips Ironman Award.

Permanent Assistant Captain, Jonathan Harty, is in his 3rd season with the Silvertips Hockey Club. The Oromocto, NB native has posted 3 goals and 12 assists for 15 points this season with Everett. Last season Jonathan was the recipient of the 2005-2006 Everett Silvertips Scholastic Player of the Year Award.

Silvertips defenseman Jesse Zetariuk and forward Brennan Sonne were also named as rotating assistant captains along with Zach Hamill and Peter Mueller who were named assistant captains earlier this season. Zetariuk was picked up by the Silvertips in a trade with the Moose Jaw Warriors in December. Currently the Brandon, MB native is second on the Silvertips in defenseman scoring with 6 goals and 19 assists for 25 points. With Everett, Jesse has posted a goal and 4 assists in 16 games with a +/- rating of+7.

Brennan Sonne is in his 2nd season with the Silvertips and has tallied 5 goals and 2 assists for 7 points this season. The Maple Ridge, BC native played in 33 games last season with Everett and added 2 goals during the 2005-2006 regular season.

Default From today's everett Herald

The 20-year-old Fransoo...was selected by a player vote. He becomes the 5th captain in franchise history.

"over the last two years he's come in and been there every night for the guys," Everett coach Kevin Constantine said." "I think he logs more ice time than any other defenseman because he plays in every situation."

"I don't think he came in as a leader," Constantine added. "But he's been around a long time, he's watched other people and he's shown he cares enought that he's developed into a leader the last year-and-a-half."

Fransoo's ascendancy to captain continues what's been a steady climb since arriving in Everett via trade just prior to last season. After spending last season in the background...(he) has become a top-pairingdefenseman this season, registering 31 points in 45 games. He's also been durable, appearing in all 117 regular season and 15 playoff games since joining the Tips.

"Coming here two years ago I would have never predicted this," Frnasoo said. "I just kind of stuck with it and kept working on my game. You learn from guys like Torrie Wheat, Cody Thoring, even hanging out in the summer with Mitch Love. You learn their qualities and what made them captains."

Default I guess that the players like scrappers!

Seeing that Harty is now a "permanent" assistant, and suddenly Sonne has been made into a rotating assistant captain, I guess that the team likes the "Mitch Love" philosophy of choosing captains. But they also choose players who are not spitfires (i.e. Mueller, Hamill), who can calmly speak with the refs without flipping-out & tensions mounting. Good mixture of captain material for the players.
    Redwic

Default Harty

I definately see Harty as captain material. I think he's the one next year.