Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Random Game Thoughts: Vancouver 1-21-07

Quote Originally Posted by Tipped Off
    OTH: I think the announcers in Tri-Cities are worse than Portland. Absolutely brutal. I can't talk too much cause Gerhart here in Everett is pretty Homer-ish as well. I like the Giants announcers too. Very enjoyable to listen/watch a game with them doing the broadcast. There were a few times on Sunday where they would say something like, "well, you just can't do that...it's a penalty and will get called every time." instead of some of the other announcers who would cry over it.
    Be glad you don't have Dan Russell (local radio sports-talk-show host and wannabe play-by-play guy for the Shaw TV broadcasts)... or worse... <shudder> Bob Cole and Harry Neale. Anyone who's watched Hockey Night In Canada lately will know where I'm comin' from...

Addendum: I will say, it was a pretty good game for the most part. Brought a friend for her first-ever Giants game and she quite enjoyed it. Good energy through most of the game, despite how tired everyone obviously was.

By the way, I have a few dozen pics posted from the game... a number of 'Tips in there as well. http://picasaweb.google.com/soundy10...tsVsSilvertips if you're interested.

Last edited by Soundy; 01-22-2007 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carebear
    Sure it's a tactic, but do you have to do it again and again and again? Is that the only way you can win a game!?
    It's one of those Age old debates across all of sports. In basball you have a team that loads up on pitching and Defense. they play games 1-0, 2-1, etc...Other teams load up on the power hitters trying to win slugfests 7-5. Many call the former boring and latter exciting.

In Basketball you have teams like the Pistons that win championships holding teams to scoring in the 80's while teams like Phoenix and Utah never seem to make its scoring 110+.

And, two Sundays from now, you'll have the Defensive minded Chcago Bears with that play D first and worry about scoring later attitude versus the Colts and their "high-powered" offense.

KC is just a coach who preaches Defense and no mistakes. He'd rather take his chances in a S/O than go fo rthe OT win and cough up the puck with a severely depleted/tired team (I know the Giants were tired too). As long as they keep the ticky tack fouls in plce and the shoot out going, teams like the Tips will play for that. It's how the coach adapts to the systems in place. the coach's who are slow to adapt eventually lose touch with the "current" version of the game and go away.

I'm not going to say one is right vs wrong. You can call it boring if you want. That's up to you. I still enjoy the games and consider the end result for what it was. A regular season meeting that, in the end, probably won't matter too much if/when these two teams are playing a 7 game playoff series.

Default Speaking of last night being the first time at a game...

Sitting in the row directly in front of my row there was a group of 4-5 middle-aged women, all wearing Giants clothing/ colors while holding those inflatable red Grainger-sponsored hands. When the Silvertips scored their first goal... which, by the way, our section had a great sideview of it... my wife & I stood up, clapped, and rang our cowbells. The woman who was sitting directly in front of me turned around and saw us briefly celebrating, so she stood up, waving her big red inflatable hand and cheering *loudly*. Her friends on each side of her yelled something like, "Don't cheer for THEIR team!", and yanked the woman back into her chair. Hehehe... funny stuff.
    Redwic

Quote Originally Posted by Redwic
    Sitting in the row directly in front of my row there was a group of 4-5 middle-aged women, all wearing Giants clothing/ colors while holding those inflatable red Grainger-sponsored hands. When the Silvertips scored their first goal... which, by the way, our section had a great sideview of it... my wife & I stood up, clapped, and rang our cowbells. The woman who was sitting directly in front of me turned around and saw us briefly celebrating, so she stood up, waving her big red inflatable hand and cheering *loudly*. Her friends on each side of her yelled something like, "Don't cheer for THEIR team!", and yanked the woman back into her chair. Hehehe... funny stuff.
    HAHAHHA...I wonder if she was gooned.
    I told the guy when I was walking in that we need NOISE makers to be handed out when you guys come up so we can drown out those bloody cowbells.

You know what we need? NOT more cowbell!

I told the guy when I was walking in that we need NOISE makers to be handed out when you guys come up so we can drown out those bloody cowbells.

There's always those MOOO-horns

There seemed to be a good number of 'Tips fans up behind us in Sec. 8 at well. Lotta weekend road-trippers, I'm thinking... all in all, 10,000+ attendance is pretty sweet. Props to the Everett fans who made the journey - yeah, it's not that far, but still, it's a good six hours total driving, plus the border lineup for a three-hour game

Quote Originally Posted by Tipped Off
    as for the shot. I don't like when fans say they "saw the whole thing" either from the stands or on the live broadcast. Until/if we get super slo-mo frame by frame instant replay, goal judges, referees and fans will make questionable calls. It's just part of the game. I hate complaining about that sort of thing. By the end of the season it evens out for all teams. If your a good team you suck it up and come back from it.
    I have a better seat than the goal judge had. When I say I sit right on the goal line, I am. I have a beautiful angle on it. I usually am cheering before the goal light comes on.

Probably the only better seat would be Dondo and Scrunt since they are row 1.

And the way that the puck hit the post, if it was all the way over the goal line, it would have ended up in the back of the net.

Sec. C Row 12 Seat 18

Here is what I don't get. Why cow bells?

They aren't the Everett Jersey Cows, they are the Silvertips...A BEAR!! Bring bear bells.

I have never got why people enjoy ringing a cowbell. What do you get out of it other than noise. I'd rather listen to people using their voices to cheer. Cowbell to me says "I don't know what to say but need to make noise".

The only sports that cowbells are good are speed skating and bobsled.

Sec. C Row 12 Seat 18

Quote Originally Posted by old_time_hockey
    Here is what I don't get. Why cow bells?

They aren't the Everett Jersey Cows, they are the Silvertips...A BEAR!! Bring bear bells.

I have never got why people enjoy ringing a cowbell. What do you get out of it other than noise. I'd rather listen to people using their voices to cheer. Cowbell to me says "I don't know what to say but need to make noise".

The only sports that cowbells are good are speed skating and bobsled.
    Its cowbells because if you havn't noticed anywhere north of Everett is farm country, heck go east of Everett its the same thing. Anything that is not in King County (Seattle, Bellevue area) is farming in Washington. I would suppose that is the reasoning for the bells. I personally hate them though...
    I take pride in not owning a cowbell!

Quote Originally Posted by ihlemic10
    Its cowbells because if you havn't noticed anywhere north of Everett is farm country, heck go east of Everett its the same thing. Anything that is not in King County (Seattle, Bellevue area) is farming in Washington. I would suppose that is the reasoning for the bells. I personally hate them though...
    Yeah, but Boeing is in the Everett area too. Why not have something airline related.

Cowbells are like crack. JUST SAY NO!!

I commend you for taking a stand against the dreaded bells.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I will buy you a beer if you wish next time you happen to be at the PC for a game for the amazing courage you show to just say no to Bell.
    Last edited by old_time_hockey; 01-22-2007 at 09:02 PM.

Sec. C Row 12 Seat 18

Cow bells started as a prairie thing imo. When I was growing up in Alberta in the 50's/60's most farmers(as we did) also had a few cows that they milked for the cream they'd sell in town. Also they had bells on thier cows so when you went to get them from the field you'd know where they were. Now, in saying this , the older people (especailly the women) would bring cowbells to the local arena and cheer for their local teams. Hek If I could yell louder at Savage and Smith I would ,,,but my voice is going. I think Everett has a great thing going with the cowbells.....however having been there and watched numerous feeds on the net from there I think that the fans need to know when too use them properly I heard a couple of interviews from the former Tips that were recently traded away at the deadline. Both Thoring and Calla commented that they missed the big crowds compared to MJ but it was nicer to have "very knowledgable fans" and be in arena with many memeories and character.