Thread: Pats receive apology

Default Pats receive apology

Due to the poor ice conditions and 45-ish minute delay during the last game the Pats deserved an apology and got it... http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpo...ef0429&k=64907

Pats receive apology

Rob Vanstone, The Leader-Post
    Published: Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Operators of the Regina Pats and Ipsco Place have not reverted back to their icy relationship, even though the ice has become an issue.

Sunday's WHL game between the Pats and Spokane Chiefs was delayed 45 minutes after the Zamboni gouged the Brandt Centre's playing surface during the second intermission.

Ipsco Place president/CEO Mark Allan apologized to Pats general manager Brent Parker on Monday morning.

In past years, Parker has uttered an assortment of harsh words about the Regina Exhibition Association people -- who manage the Ipsco Place complex, including the arena -- but he has not reacted to Sunday's incident with any venom.

"We're trying to move forward in a more amicable relationship and to deal with things in a little better manner,'' Parker said Monday. "I think we're all trying to do that. I appreciate them responding as they did as quickly as they did. We're working towards not having it happen again.''

Allan said an insert that helps to secure the goalposts wasn't fully in place. As a result, the Zamboni picked it up and dragged it the length of the ice. The gouge had to be filled with slush and frozen with fire extinguishers before the ice could again be flooded and play could resume.

By the time the third period began, many of the 4,050 spectators had lost patience and gone home, thereby missing the Pats' celebration of a 4-1 victory.

"I went over to Brent's office (Monday) and said, 'No. 1, I want to apologize to you and the coaches and the team and the fans for the delay. It was an operator error that caused the problem and I'm responsible for that and we regret that it happened,' '' said Allan, who also talked with Parker about the handling of the situation.

Parker and Allan proceeded to discuss the overall condition of the playing surface, which players have cited as one of the WHL's worst.

"We've been trying to deal with concerns regarding the ice for a while,'' Parker said. "I think there will be something lingering coming out of it, but I think it will be positive.

"I think (Sunday's incident) has brought it to a head and hopefully we're not dealing with it anymore and our concerns with the ice are resolved.''

Parker said that attitude wasn't always there in the past. The timing of Sunday's incident was peculiar, considering the detente between parties that used to be frequently at odds.

"There certainly have been some things over the years that have strained the relationship,'' Parker said. "I guess there's some irony in that, but mistakes happen. I'm not happy about it, by any stretch. I don't think anybody is, including them, but you move on.

"There's nothing to be gained from ranting and raving and jumping up and down. Was I mad (Sunday) night? Absolutely. Am I disappointed it happened? Of course. But I don't think the guy jumped on the Zamboni and leaned over to his buddy and said, 'Hey, watch this!' It happened.''

Allan is also mindful of what has happened in the past between the Brandt Centre's operator and its primary tenant.

"The Pats have been here for a lot of years,'' said Allan, who became the president/CEO 31/2 years ago. "While there has been a lot of difficulty in the relationship in the past, I'm determined to make the place better. It includes the relationships -- whether it's with the media, with the Pats, with Agribition, with the Royal Red, or with anybody.

"I think we're starting to get there and I think more and more people are seeing that we're able to do a good job.''

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007

Bran Guest

Hehe...Rob Vanstone was doing his usual Monday night stint on Global Sports last night (wearing the same tie he's been wearing since the World Juniors!)and he mentioned that the stormy relationship between the Pats and REP used to make it easy to do a column. Simply give Parker a call and ask him about REP and his mouth did all the work! Not so anymore, apparently!

I was really happy that they were able to fix the problem with the ice. The first time they came out Mercer kept looking up at the stands biting his lip and shaking his head, and I was afraid they would call it. When Liber went back to the benches and nodded...probably the last time he'll be cheered in awhile! Too bad there weren't more people there to see the 3rd period, though I understand why some people left. Anyone else notice Armstrong watching the football game when they put it on? Haha, had to laugh at that! And that chatty stick boy! Haha the minute Parker got off his cell phone, the kid started talking to him and didn't stop! The things you notice when there's nothing going on!