Thread: Officiating Rant!

Angry Officiating Rant!

I am curious whether fans in other buildings around the league are starting to see the same disturbing trend that I am witness to night after night here at the CN Centre.
    It has become apparent to me that the officials have forgotten the mandate on obstruction calls set out by the league at the beginning of the season.
    Both phantom calls and non-calls on legitimate infractions seem to be on the rise, BIG TIME. IMO It is getting bad enough to make an Olympic figure skating judge look honest!

And when exactly did good, clean checks start becoming kneeing, elbowing, charging, or some other bogus call? I don' t recall the Dub endorsing non-contact hockey or is this a new direction the league is taking and I missed the press release? The "W" in WHL doesn' t stand for "wringette", does it?

I know the striped fellows are only human and will make the odd mistake. That can be forgiven but, it' s becoming an epidemic.

Had to get this off my chest! Especially with the playoffs just around the corner.

Anyone else seeing what I' m seeing?

Bran Guest

Quote Originally Posted by PGFlyfisher
    And when exactly did good, clean checks start becoming kneeing, elbowing, charging, or some other bogus call? I don' t recall the Dub endorsing non-contact hockey or is this a new direction the league is taking and I missed the press release? The "W" in WHL doesn' t stand for "wringette", does it?
    Or clipping!!

Ask Nick Ross about that one...no wonder the kid was afraid to hit people!

Iconwhl Saskatoon

Well we get Zalaski, Savage, and that one ref that got in trouble with the WHL for reffing such a bad game. Worst non call ever IMO was the infamous elbow to the head from Helm to McCrae. Shoulda been at least a 3 game suspension, cross ice full speed, McCrae had his head down(as he was stretching to get control of the puck) And Helm blasted him with an elbow to the head right in front of the ref. No call, people littered the ice with garbage, drinks etc. McCrae suffered a concussion for the remainder of the playoffs. Helm however, knew it was an elbow. A couple months ago he agreed to fight McCrae off of the starting faceoff circle. Helm didnt try to throw a punch, he lost his footing early in the fight and got right back up, i respect him highly for that.

The reffing in Toon always lets those little hooks on the shoulder go, if i recall correctly, if you play your stick on the opponent, its a penalty. There are a couple phantom calls too. And it seems like the diving rule isnt in the refs head. To their credit they ref the odd good game. But never on a consistant basis. The NHL has great reffing, why cant the WHL refs get the same training.

again, i know reffing can be a tough job, but i honestly think the league can do a better job.
    BLEED BLUE

i'm of the opinion physical contact is not so slowly being taken out of the game. i see some disturbing trends. players getting hit hard, cleanly, and because physical play just isn't part of the game anymore, lordy you'd think the player who delivered the bodycheck had instead taken his stick and cross checked the receiving player in the mouth. the reaction of some players is almost like they've been shot!

an increase in blows to the head by shoulders or elbows. some of this is attributable to the mammoth size of some players, the other more noticeable part is the lack of respect between players. the league is much more mindful, particularily of head fouls, anything even borderline is being called, clean or not.
    Last edited by wango tango; 01-29-2007 at 04:59 PM.

My question is that when there are two referrees, is one the "head" ref or not. It seems like when there are two, they get in a pissing contest to see who can make the most calls or call everything to make sure they don't look bad in front of the other guy. Just because there is two refs doesn't mean there should be twice as many penalties, if not more.

Default Officials that yell "MOVE, MOVE, MOVE"

I thought that it was just "KLEIN the Narcissist" of the WHL that did this, but tonight while watching and listening to Sportsnet's coverage of the OHL's Windsor vs Kitchener game (Officials; Ferguson, Rank), I heard one of these idiots doing the same thing.

The players of the opposing teams are battling in the corner, either on the penalty kill or not, and some officials feel compelled to impose their preferences on the flow of the game by yelling at these players "MOVE! MOVE! MOVE!"

How about this suggestion, official? STFU!! Let the players kill the penalty, battle for possession, or work their game-plan without your 22-Hockey-IQ interference??

WHO IS TEACHING THESE FOOLS TO DO THIS? Is this part of the new "WHL OFFICIAL HANDBOOK FOR STARDOM."

Though I am trying, I cannot choose words that adequately voice my intense opposition to this practice. Not only does this NOT improve the game or the fans enjoyment of it, it is distracting and annoying, not to mention frustrating to the team that ends up digging the puck from their net because of trying to comply with it!

Put on your "Cloak of Invisibility" WHL referee, and get it through your head that NOBODY CAME TO THE RINK TO SEE OR HEAR YOU!!

Whats' next?? An NHL OFFICIAL'S strike with them demanding THEIR 33.3% of HRR?? (Hockey Related Revenues) F*#&^@g wannabees!
    A WHL referee should be an invisible protector of the integrity of the game. One should not know his name nor know that he was there.