Thread: Hurricanes 4 @ Pats 5 - Jan. 30

Default Hurricanes 4 @ Pats 5 - Jan. 30

Pretty entertaining game tonight at the 'Dome... er... I mean Brandt. It seemed like a game of momentum and if it wasn't for the Pats' 2nd period it might have been a different outcome.

GAME NOTES
    Goalies: Rowat started for the Pats and Leclerc started for the Hurricanes only to give way for Maniago at the start of the 3rd. Rowat gets the win and Leclerc gets the loss.

Scratches: For Regina - Delahey (possible injury after having a tussle in MJ on Saturday), Elder (wrist), Snellman (shoulder), Saulities (injury? he left the game Satuday in MJ favoring his leg/knee). For Lethbridge - R. King (injured), Bancks, Todd, Bailey (injured), Bobbee.

Added to the line-up for Lethbridge #18 Carter Ashton.

Shots on goal: Regina 6+15+8 = 29
    Lethbridge 11+6+12 = 29

Powerplays: Regina 2 for 6; Lethbridge 1 for 4.

GOAL SUMMARY
    First period
    1. LET Fadden (22) - unassisted 4:43
    Fadden steal the puck from Pats' defender Fraipont and with his pure speed (and Fraipont falling down) breaks in and puts a nice move on Rowat and slides the puck low stick side.
    2. REG K. Ross (13) - (Pyett, Deck) 18:45 PP
    Pats tie up the contest on the powerplay as the Pats are working the puck around the Hurricanes zone and K. Ross is able to score through a maze of bodies (don't think it hit anything on the way in either) assists to Deck & Pyett.

Second Period
    3. REG Festerling (16) - unassisted 6:31
    Festerling grabs the puck off of an offensive zone faceoff and is able to fire the puck top shelf.
    4. REG K. Ross (14) - (T. Ofukany, K. Hill) 12:41
    The Pats are pressing the Hurricanes and Ofukany gets the puck in the slot and fires a slapper which is deflected almost to a stop by K. Ross, who in turn buries the loose puck. Hill pucks up the other assist.
    5. REG L. Lind (5) - (K. Deck, L. Pyett) 16:47
    The Pats are dominating the play in the Lethbridge zone at this time and Deck fires a point shot which is originally stopped by Leclerc but gives up a rebound and gets himself out of position for Lind to be able to put in the easy marker for his 5th of the season. Deck and Pyett with assists.
    6. REG K. Hill (9) - (L. Pyett, K. Ross) 19:31 PP
    Hill scores 5-hole on a point shot by Pyett that was originally stopped by Leclerc. K. Ross picks up the other assist.

Third Period
    7. LET Fadden (23) - unassisted 3:22
    Lethbridge gains the Pats' zone and looks as tho the rush is over when Fadden gets deep into the zone but is able to lift the pick past a startled Rowat (was hugging the post and the puck still squeeked in). Another unassisted goal
    8. LET Fadden (24) - (T. Kudelka, B. Wright) 12:55 PP
    Point shot by Kudelka is tipped by Fadden and the puck flutters up and over Rowat. Fadden has the hat trick. Kudelka and Wright pick up the assists.
    9. LET Farmanara (12) (M. Fadden, Z. Boychuk) 18:07
    Big shot by a Hurricane (Farmanara) which appeared to be re-directed into the Pats goal by a Pats defender after the initial stop in which Rowat is unable to get back into position.

FIGHTS
    Mitch Versteeg vs. Kirt Hill
    Hill shots the puck at Maniago and it's covered up. Hill skates close to the goaler and Versteeg takes exception and they bump along the boards and the golves came off. Pretty much a non-fight as there were very few punches thrown and it was over in only a few short seconds.

REFEREES
    Nathan Weiler & Graham Skilliter... Not good, but not bad. Kinda on par with most other games in the WHL this year.

ATTENDANCE
    3823 (haha... announced attendance... there was no way that there was that many people there)

3 STARS
    1. Kyle Ross (2G, 1A) - Played a great game, was all over the ice.
    2. Mitch Fadden (3G, 1A) - The Hurricanes best player and man is he fast... wow!
    3. Logan Pyett (3A) - Played a good all around game.

I can't really argue the stars... the order could have been changed up but all 3 were deserving.

A few things of note... There appears to be a new 2nd place team in the WHL East Division!! And look who's back to .500! Gotta be proud once in a while .

Players that stuck out for Lethbridge... Fadden (mentioned earlier), Boychuk, D. King, Farmanara, Wright and Kudelka. I'm sure Wright and Kudleka played 30+ minutes they were out there ALL (most of) the time.

For the Pats... No one looked that bad except for Fraipont... I'm scared when he has the puck. MacAngus, Festerling, Eberle, K. Ross and Lind had good games for the forwards. On defence the main 4 looked pretty good (Ross, Pyett, Deck and Schira). The D is actually hitting now... even Deck.

Need to mention that Deck has 9 points in his last 7 games (3G, 6A).

http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpo...06b2c2&k=18583

Pats weather Hurricane in the third
    Regina 5, Lethbridge 4

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
    Published: Wednesday, January 31, 2007

The Regina Pats are a fortunate .500 club.

After nearly two months of floundering below the WHL poverty line, the Pats officially clawed their way back to respectability on Tuesday night with a nervous 5-4 win over the Lethbridge Hurricanes before 3,823 fans at the Brandt Centre.

The victory gives the Pats a .500 record (23-23-1-4) for the first time since Dec. 2. It also vaults them past the Swift Current Broncos and into second place in the East Division.

"It feels really good to get to .500," offered Pats centre Kyle Ross, who led the attack with two goals and one assist. "I don't think anyone in the dressing room is satisfied one bit with being .500 but it's a first step. We've been focusing on it for the last little while so it's good to get it."

The Pats missed their first chance to hit the break-even mark on Saturday night with a 3-2 shootout loss to the host Moose Jaw Warriors. However, that result is still part of a recent surge, which has seen Regina pick up 19 of a possible 26 points since the New Year.

"It's terrific," said Pats head coach Curtis Hunt, whose team nearly blew a 5-1 lead in the third period of Tuesday's game. "After a sluggish start here tonight we got our game going -- and hung on. It's a terrific show of commitment and character over the last three weeks."

It was indeed a sluggish start for both teams, but the Hurricanes were the first to take advantage. Less than five minutes into the contest, speedster Mitch Fadden blew past Pats defenceman Spencer Fraipont, splitting both defenders, and went nose-to-nose with goalie Linden Rowat. Fadden made a great move, drawing Rowat to the ice before lifting the puck over his outstretched right pad.

Ross replied on the power play with just 1:45 left in the frame, sneaking a shot from the right faceoff circle through goaltender Justin Leclerc.

The Pats proceeded to blow the doors off in the second period, beginning with a brilliant unassisted effort by Garrett Festerling, who jumped on a loose puck off his own faceoff and fired it home. Ross, Levi Lind and Kirt Hill also scored to make it 5-1 after 40 minutes.

Fadden got the visitors going in the third period by adding two more goals to complete his hat trick. Yashar Farmanara made it 5-4 with 1:53 left in regulation, but the Pats were able to hang on by the skin of their teeth.

"This is our second game in three that we gave up a lead, a pretty good lead too," noted Pats defenceman Logan Pyett, whose team had a 5-0 edge against Moose Jaw on Friday night and held on for a 6-4 win. "That's something we need to concentrate on is finishing off teams. We need a 60-minute effort but the time that we do play well we really stick it to teams. If we can put it all together, we'll be looking good."

The Pats and Hurricanes finished Tuesday's game with 29 shots apiece, but Regina took advantage of its power-play chances, going 2-for-6. Lethbridge was 1-for-4.

"Their power play was clicking and we lost a couple battles down low and in front of the net," said 'Canes assistant coach Matt Kabayama. "In the third, things started coming around. If we would have had maybe about five minutes more things might have been a little bit different but take nothing away from them. They played great in the second period."

EXTRAS: Pyett finished with three assists ... Tuesday's contest was the start of an absurd stretch, which will see Lethbridge play 16 of 18 games on the road ... Canes' 15-year-old top prospect Carter Ashton made his WHL debut after being called up from the midget AAA Saskatoon Contacts. He's the son of former NHLer Brent Ashton ... The Pats were without RW Kaspars Saulietis due to a charleyhorse. D Matt Delahey was a healthy scratch ... The season series between Regina and Lethbridge ends in a 2-2 tie, with both teams picking up two wins on home ice ... The Pats are slated to hold their annual Sportsman's Dinner on Friday at the Delta Hotel, featuring guest speaker Barry Melrose. The team returns to home ice on Saturday night against Swift Current.

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007

Quote Originally Posted by nivek_wahs
    PATTENDANCE
    3823 (haha... announced attendance... there was no way that there was that many people there)
    Yeah...I hate that they count all the tickets sold and not the actual attendance. Just stupid. Though during the first period, I told my mom that my prediction for attendance would be 3900....I was damn close.

Bran Guest

I've been very impressed with Schira lately...he was hitting everyone last night! Actually, the defence on a whole has been a treat to watch the last little while. You know, sometimes watching Teubert, I forget how young he is! They're all working hard and it's paying off big time. Who knew defence could be so exciting? And I LOVED Festerling's goal. I just wish they wouldn't have let off in the third period...that was close!
    Last edited by Bran; 02-01-2007 at 12:02 PM.