Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Brent Parker and his fans

crackerjack57 Guest

Thumbs down Brent Parker and his fans

I was just wondering, does anyone from Regina have respect for Brent? I know that all of the other leauges don't, but you guys see him more often.

Lets just say that if Rod Pederson(pats play by play radio guy) was the GM, he would have the same reputation parker has.

Dont get me wrong, Parker has made a few good moves lately. Last year and this year have been great in the trades department in my opinion. The only questionable trade he has made lately is the Mcdonald for Elder trade, but I have not seen Elder play yet this season, so I dont know what he is capable of. Besides, Mcdonald would not have played like he does in PA the same way here anyways. In the past, however, he has made many, many bad trades, and it seems that some people still think he is responsible for everything that goes wrong with the pats. He is also the Russ Parker's(owner) son, which make some people think that he is the GM 'cuz of his daddy'.

He does what is best for the team, and he stands up for the team, and what he believes in. He definitely speaks his mind, which makes a few people angry, and alot of dislike him. I dont think that he cares what other people think, and he just sticks to doing what he can to make this team a good group of players.

But to answer your question... Yes, I do respect him. He has taken alot of heat for every single one of his decisions, and he still sticks to his guns. No matter what some people try and find negative things about everything he does. Parker deserved to be taken seriously in this league, because he is good at what he does, and doesnt let anyone get to him. He also doesnt ignore things that are obvious like whether he thinks a few players were playing dirty, or if a referee was reffing in a very biased way. Most Gms would not acknowledge that.

Then again, this is from a Pats fans POV.

Bran Guest

I'm torn over Parker. I don't doubt that he loves this team, and I believe that he tries to do what is in the best interests of the team. I don't think that he's always successful, but that's just the way it goes sometimes. I don't agree with some of the things he's done in the past, especially the way he's dealt with some of his players. I think he was too involved in certain aspects of the team (such as coaching) and it interfered with the coaches, the players...Parker was always in the news commenting on games, players, etc. and that really wasn't his place. I don't mind him giving his opinions here and there but it was just too much. I think because of that, people weren't sure of their roles within the team. Last year, I think we saw that slowly changing, and right now I think everyone knows their place and it's working. The coaches seem happy, the players are happy, the fans are happy most of the time. He's done well this year with trades to boost the team and also to benefit individual players (case in point:Hulak). I don't know what happened, but I think he's turned a corner.
    There were always things that I respected about Parker...he sticks to his guns and isn't afraid to speak his mind, he usually stands behind his players (even when they may not be right...he realizes that they're kids and will screw up from time to time), he may "whine" from time to time but he usually has good reason. Lately, he's been doing a good job of taking care of the team, and that's his job. In the past, I had issues with him and that outweighed what I liked about him. If he continues this way, I think he'll go a long way in redeeming himself in the eyes of others. Honestly, I don't think I've heard half the complaints about him this year that I had in the past. Do I respect him? I've said in the past that I had no respect for him so it almost pains me to say it, but yeah, I do.

The reason that there is a push for expansion on the Brandt Centre is to try to accomodate Brent Parker's ego. He desperately wants to be the face of the franchise (and has since he has arrived here). Check out the player to GM media interviews, Parker has an overwelming lead.

As a man. Respect? That's a joke. He has no idea how to treat people. Everything is always about him and his needs. He is a typical rich kid. "O, I pissed you off, well here's a little money to make up for it." He goes through front end staff like a 10 year old eats smarties. He has zero people skills, but is a first class bully.

A couple of years ago, I asked one of the players (that Parker had just aquired a couple of months previously), how things were going and how management was treating him. His carefully worded comment spoke volumes. "Well, he buys us stuff."

But, hey that's just my opinion.

Golks Guest

Just so you know Parker is against the expansion of the Brandt Centre.

He has said it several times in the past. He doesn't want it to be a Sask Place where over half of it sits empt on any given night.

Bran Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Golks
    Just so you know Parker is against the expansion of the Brandt Centre.

He has said it several times in the past. He doesn't want it to be a Sask Place where over half of it sits empt on any given night.
    Well, to be fair, CUC would be half empty most nights even if it were the size of the Brandt Centre. But as for the first part of your post, I think Parker is the number one reason that they are not expanding further. As far as that goes, I think they should. I understand what he's getting at as far as atmosphere, but why don't they quit selling season tickets in the upper deck and do like they do in Vancouver...cover the upper level when it's not in use and when they sell enough tickets, open it up. (Though, I wonder if there's a better way of doing it...those curtains they have look pretty ugly in the pictures I've seen.) If anything that would help the atmosphere, even without expansion. It puts everyone on the same level, you don't have empty seats all over the place and there's no empty space up top. Everyone's happy and Parker gets his atmosphere (which could use some help anyway on most nights!)

For myself who is orginally from Kelowna, BC I have had respect for Brent Parker since I was in High School. Brent and his family used to own the Kelowna Spartans of the BCHL. Until getting screwed on the new building there and thats when he bought the Pats. Brent for as long a I can remember has always done what he thinks is best for the team and not what others think may be best. He turned the Spartans into a Centenial Cup champion team and almost one 2 in a row ( now the Royal Bank Cup). Is he a bully maybe but find 1 other GM in the league who fights for his team against the league like Brent has. He will go to war for his team no matter what and that has never changed. Brent dont change now.
    Don't take life so seriously...you can't get out of it alive.

BRONCOS 4 LIFE

Quote Originally Posted by Bran
    Well, to be fair, CUC would be half empty most nights even if it were the size of the Brandt Centre.
    What does Regina average for attendance? Saskatoon is around 4100, from the last I heard

Bran Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ProStaff
    What does Regina average for attendance? Saskatoon is around 4100, from the last I heard
    I honestly don't know, it's probably about the same.

I bet we see a big jump in attendance at the beginning of next season, people wanting to check out the renos. Maybe if the team does well in those games, they'll stick around! Not likely, but we can hope.
    Edit: I checked (http://www.mib.org/~lennier/hockey/leagueatt.cgi) and the numbers they have are 4386 for Regina and 4107 for Saskatoon, so pretty close.
    Last edited by Bran; 01-24-2007 at 09:27 PM.

crackerjack57 Guest

Default Thats what I was looking for

Quote Originally Posted by witness
    The reason that there is a push for expansion on the Brandt Centre is to try to accomodate Brent Parker's ego. He desperately wants to be the face of the franchise (and has since he has arrived here). Check out the player to GM media interviews, Parker has an overwelming lead.

As a man. Respect? That's a joke. He has no idea how to treat people. Everything is always about him and his needs. He is a typical rich kid. "O, I pissed you off, well here's a little money to make up for it." He goes through front end staff like a 10 year old eats smarties. He has zero people skills, but is a first class bully.

A couple of years ago, I asked one of the players (that Parker had just aquired a couple of months previously), how things were going and how management was treating him. His carefully worded comment spoke volumes. "Well, he buys us stuff."

But, hey that's just my opinion.
    \

I've just seen him be a snot first hand, and from what you've said, thats kinda what I've herd