Thread: Would've been nice to get 2 but the Blazers have to be happy with the 1

Kamfan Guest

Default Would've been nice to get 2 but the Blazers have to be happy with the 1

2 goals with the goalie pulled is a long, long shot and any points out of a game where you trailed by 2 with 2 minutes left has to be considered a small miracle.

Also would've been nice if the officials called the game in OT like the rest of the game like they're supposed to and call that obvious check from behind on Nixon that indirectly led to the winning goal, but you have to chalk that one up to refs make mistakes. Not the end of the world, we'll get the split tomorrow night.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamfan
    2 goals with the goalie pulled is a long, long shot and any points out of a game where you trailed by 2 with 2 minutes left has to be considered a small miracle.

Also would've been nice if the officials called the game in OT like the rest of the game like they're supposed to and call that obvious check from behind on Nixon that indirectly led to the winning goal, but you have to chalk that one up to refs make mistakes. Not the end of the world, we'll get the split tomorrow night.
    these bad first period over the last three weeks, really need to be addressed, its nice to see they have the ability to come back, but it is going to catch up and bite them in the ass sooner than later,
    PG is starting to turn there game around, and I would rather see the Giants play them in the first round than us, and at least right now the Blazers have the upper hand on who comes in first, lets hope they keep it that way

It wasn't much of a check from behind, and no where near the boards (if its the check I think you are talking about), so why would they call it? It wasn't like the soft holding call against Wishart that led to the tie-up goal in the last 2 minutes. All told the ref made more than a few lousey calls, then turns around and lets a bunch go, all night. I can't say he was terrible, but was better the first night against PA, just not consistant at all with what he called against either team.
    I understand this is a rebuilding year, but come on boys!!

Kamfan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sput
    It wasn't much of a check from behind, and no where near the boards (if its the check I think you are talking about), so why would they call it? It wasn't like the soft holding call against Wishart that led to the tie-up goal in the last 2 minutes. All told the ref made more than a few lousey calls, then turns around and lets a bunch go, all night. I can't say he was terrible, but was better the first night against PA, just not consistant at all with what he called against either team.
    Are you saying it was less of a penalty than a soft holding penalty? Boards or not, he got drilled in the numbers (which is a penalty). The crowd would've went nuts if the roles were reversed.

The check I saw, yes you can say it was on the numbers, but from my angle it wasn't a hard hit, and more of a push and Nixon fell down. Besides, if a ref called a penalty against Kamloops in OT IN Kamloops your crowd wouldn't go wild?? There isn't to often a ref will call a penalty in OT unless there was chance of injury or something blantant that takes away a scoring chance. There were just as many non-called penalties throughout the entire game. If you want an example....ask me.

Kamfan Guest

The check I saw, yes you can say it was on the numbers, but from my angle it wasn't a hard hit, and more of a push and Nixon fell down. Besides, if a ref called a penalty against Kamloops in OT IN Kamloops your crowd wouldn't go wild?? There isn't to often a ref will call a penalty in OT unless there was chance of injury or something blantant that takes away a scoring chance. There were just as many non-called penalties throughout the entire game. If you want an example....ask me.
    I thought we were pressing for a scoring chance at the time. I just wish the winning goal hadn't been on the resulting rush seconds later. If it came after the next stoppage I could live with it.

And if it was a Blazer taking that penalty in Kamloops I wouldn't have been surprised to see it called. I saw two much softer penalties get called in OT in the Giants-Rockets game on Friday. Just looking for consistency.

Just looking for consistency.
    There's the rub.....consistancy. Something sorely missed in the last Cougar/Blazer game, and for the past two or three seasons for that matter. In realality, can you say that one non-call, over any of the others, was THE ultimate deciding factor in the game when the Blazers had 8 powerplay chances compared to the 4 PG had in the previous 60 minutes?

Kamfan Guest

There's the rub.....consistancy. Something sorely missed in the last Cougar/Blazer game, and for the past two or three seasons for that matter. In realality, can you say that one non-call, over any of the others, was THE ultimate deciding factor in the game when the Blazers had 8 powerplay chances compared to the 4 PG had in the previous 60 minutes?
    Well because of it's importance, events in OT are always more highly scrutinized, and I think you can safely say that missed call was a major factor in the winning goal. At least in regulation if you get scored on like that you have opportunity to respond and (more likely than not) the ref will give you a makeup call. Then if you fail to even it up then you didn't deserve to win. Along the same lines as I was going for when I said I would'n't have had a problem with it if there had been a stoppage (like an offisde or something) in between. Then if we lost the faceoff and got scored on, it's easier to swallow the loss. At least you had a chance to respond but failed.

The race to the scoreboard www.kamloopsnews.ca
    by Gregg Drinnan

It was a subdued bunch of Kamloops Blazers who took to the Interior Savings Centre ice surface for a Monday afternoon practice session.

Hardly a word was spoken; hardly a glance was exchanged.

“They should be subdued . . . the period we had the other night,” said Dean Clark, the WHL team’s general manager and head coach.

Clark was referring to the first period of Saturday’s 6-5 overtime loss to the host Prince George Cougars, who will provide the opposition tonight at The ATM. Game time is 7 o’clock.

The Blazers found themselves trailing the Cougars 3-0 just over seven minutes into the first period. In their last nine games, Kamloops has been outscored 18-9 in the opening 20 minutes.

“Obviously,” Clark said, “our focus isn’t what it is supposed to be.”

Asked if he read his charges the Riot Act prior to practice, Clark said: “Yes, I did.”

And did it have an impact?

“We’ll see (tonight),” Clark replied. “I didn’t think it helped practice at all.”

Clark said his team — which has a 36-13-2-1 record, is 5-0-1-0 in its last six games and can move into sole possession of first place in the B.C. Division with a victory tonight — has to realize that it now is the hunted as opposed to the hunter.

“You have to recognize that teams look at the standings . . . if you’re not ready against these guys they’re going to hand it to you so you had better be ready,” Clark said.

Assistant coach Andrew Milne agreed.

“Now that teams are gunning for us,” he said, “they are going to be ready to play. Everybody wants to beat the top dog and if that’s us, that’s us. We haven’t had that here in the past and I don’t think the guys quite understand that.

“We have a group that hasn’t had success the last number of years and it’s difficult for them to understand what it is we’re talking about. It’s been evident the last few games.”

Right-winger Juuso Puustinen admitted he isn’t sure what is wrong.

“The last few games we’ve been starting bad,” said Puustinen, who has eight points, including five goals, in four games against the Cougars. “Usually when we play our game, we start good and score the first goal. That’s our goal — to score first — because we know that when we score first we are good.”

The Blazers are 21-2-0-0 when they score first and 13-11-1-1 when they don’t.

Trailing 5-3 late in Saturday’s third period, the Blazers got two goals from Puustinen, both with goaltender Dustin Butler on the bench for an extra attacker, to force overtime and earn one point.

“It wasn’t our best game,” said Puustinen, who has 59 points, including 28 goals, in his freshman season. “I don’t know what went wrong because we had a couple of days off and should have been well-rested. I don’t know what went wrong.

“I don’t know what’s missing. Maybe we’re not skating as fast . . . I don’t know.”

Puustinen, who was selected by the Calgary Flames with the 149th pick of the NHL’s 2006 entry draft, has 21 points, 16 of them goals, in his last 16 games. Among WHL rookies, only Martin Hanzal of the Red Deer Rebels (67) and Mark Santorelli of the Chilliwack Bruins (60) have more points than Puustinen. He, Red Deer’s Kirill Starkov and Matt Robertson of the Prince Albert Raiders lead all freshmen with 28 goals apiece.

Puustinen, however, would give it all up for more team success.

“There’s going to be bad games every once in a while,” he said, “but it’s been the last few games it’s been bad starts for us. We need to concentrate on that (tonight).

“(The Cougars) have really skilled players and when they have the lead after the first they are a tough team to beat. We need to be really good (tonight) in the first period.”

Clark feels exactly the same way, especially considering that these two teams could meet up in the first round of the playoffs.

“All we’ve done is give Prince George a reason to think they can (compete with us),” Clark said, “and we might play them in the first round. So how we respond (tonight) is very important.”

JUST NOTES: All hands were on deck for Monday’s practice, meaning the Blazers will have three healthy scratches tonight. . . . With G Real Cyr (knee) on the limp, the Cougars have brought in Joel Danyluk, 16, from the midget AAA Yorkton Harvest to back up Scott Bowles for the next four games. . . . Prince George is 14-2-1-1 when it leads after one period. . . .