Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Steve Young Released

Default Steve Young Released

Moose Jaw, SK: This afternoon, the Moose Jaw Warriors relieved Steve Young of his duties as Head Coach of the Moose Jaw Warriors. Young joined the Warriors in the mid-way through the 2003-04 season as Assistant Coach and advanced to Head Coach mid-way through the 2004-05 season.

Steve helped lead the Warriors to their second Eastern Division Championship and first ever Eastern Conference Championship in the 2005-06 season. Under his leadership the club managed to set a new franchise record for games won in a regular season with 44 wins.

The Moose Jaw Warriors would like to thank Steve for his contributions to the organization and wish him and his family the best of luck in the future.

Default What???!!!??!

That must be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard!! He was up and coming, and seemed to be one of the best in the dub!! Look where he took M.J. last year!! It must have been something he did, or a disagreement with management. Anyway, IMO, they are crazy, firing him!
    GO BRONCOS GO!!!

MooseJaw_Kyle Guest

Isn't that just a great move

Wow, I didn't see that one coming. Best of luck to you guys to start fresh at this point in the season.

Iconwhl

Well i must say i heard this on the radio today and i was very shocked to hear that Young was fired. He is a great coach and will find a job during the off-season no problem.

I dont think the coaching is the problem with the Warriors to begin with, the Warriors didnt have high expectations this season to begin with, they lost 2 of the best players in the WHL at the end of last year (in Brouwer and Boyd) and Perricone was actually saving the puck last year. I might be a die hard Pats fan, but by no means am i talking on behalf of 1, I knew that the Warriors would struggle this season from losing Brouwer, Boyd and Jones those are players you dont replace, the Warriors dont have nearly as close to the fire power they had last season or the leadership. Bringing in players last year like Fecho and Hansen gave them a soild Defence infront of Perricone.

Young was starting this season off with a struggle to play a soild game at both ends of the ice, since the Warriors dont have the scoring this season. It is kind of a rebuilding year for the Warriors but yet still have a couple top players around (Holzapfel, Gillen and had McArdle) MJ made a couple good trades but this by no means should of got Young fired. I think the people in MJ had extremely high hopes for this Warriors team this season based on the Warriors going to the league final last season, I think people forget that this is junior hockey and you loose your top players every year (in your 20 yr olds and the odd 19 yr old) and not always are their players ready to really fill there shoes.

I know Young will get another coaching job in the WHL he has a good resume to pass around. But who is going to be coaching the Warriors now (besides there assistant coach for temp)

Maybe this was a move to get Chad Lang some coaching experience lol (im kidding thats the biggest piece of crap ive heard this year lol)

Good Luck Warriors

Weak move...Young is a good coach...he will land somewhere else...

Default Selfish

Sorry , to hear about this move, not because I knew the coach but when we are battling for that final playoff spot here in Alberta we certainly don,t need Moose Jaw coming in fired up because the players feel they let their coach down or if a new coach appointed prior to the trip to the Central Division trying to impress a new coach. However, what will be will be !

Default Has to be more

There is no way you come in this late in the season and fire one of the top coaches from last year. There has to be more to it. Sure you guys started slow but it was starting to turn around and you were actually a .500 club over the last 10 games. Personally, i smell a power struggle between Lang and Young but i may be wrong. Someone from the Warrior Forum please keep us posted.

Scout
    # 8-9-11-22 ALWAYS REMEMBERED

Default Has to be more

There is no way you come in this late in the season and fire one of the top coaches from last year. There has to be more to it. Sure you guys started slow but it was starting to turn around and you were actually a .500 club over the last 10 games. Personally, i smell a power struggle between Lang and Young but i may be wrong. Someone from the Warrior Forum please keep us posted.

Scout
    # 8-9-11-22 ALWAYS REMEMBERED

I agree, has to be more to it than their record. Lang did nothing to improve a struggling team at the trade deadline, and actually traded what was pretty much their entire blueline in Zetariuk away to build for the future. A team with lofty expectations for their team/coach doesn't usually do something like that.