Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Games 56, 57 & 58

Default Province

Bruins 3 Silvertips 2 OT

Ken Henry, The Province

February 18, 2007

First, Cody Smuk shocked everyone in Prospera Centre by felling Everett Silvertips super pest Kyle Beach in a memorable fight. Then, Smuk and his teammates went one better by beating the Silvertips -- ranked No. 1 in the 59-team Canadian Hockey League -- on the scoreboard during Sunday's emotional WHL tilt in front of 4,243 appreciative fans.

Mark Santorelli scored the winner 1:39 into overtime, banging a rebound past Leland Irving and sending the expansion Bruins to a shocking 3-2 victory -- by far the biggest in franchise history.

"It feels great," Santorelli said. "When I scored I could hear our bench yelling, then everyone piled on top of me. That's the biggest goal of this year, for sure."

Despite the fact they were heavy underdogs, the Bruins were full value for the two points. They blocked shots fearlessly, out hit the 'Tips, and, as Beach can attest to, outfought them.

After Bruins captain Josh Aspenlind opened scoring on a dump-in from centre that took a funny bounce and snuck under Irving's arm, Beach asked Smuk to fight on the ensuing faceoff. Smuk obliged, and two seconds later Beach -- who is four inches taller than Smuk -- lay on the ice motionless courtesy of a right cross to the jaw. The scrap was reminiscent of Ed Jovanovski's bout that concussed Adam Deadmarsh during the 2000-01 NHL season.

Beach, 17, was taken to hospital with a suspected fractured jaw and concussion. "I was lined up and he asked me to go, so I said sure," said Smuk, 17. "I just felt my right hand go loose..."

The Bruins gained momentum after the fight, but ran into penalty trouble on some questionable calls by referee Trevor Hrycuik.

Ondrej Fiala tied the game on a man advantage late in the first period, then, after Oscar Moller had given the Bruins a 2-1 lead, Fiala scored on another man advantage late in the third to force overtime. With the victory, the Bruins (19-37-3-2) pulled into a tie with Kelowna for the fourth and final postseason berth in the B.C. Division. Kelowna has two games in hand.

ICE CHIPS: Jadon Potter,17, looked good in his Bruins debut. Potter will play three more games with Chilliwack before going back to the Prince Albert Mintos Triple A midget team. ... Silvertips star Peter Mueller missed the game with the flu.

Well, I guess Beach is hell bent on learning the hard way. It's too bad he got injured, I hate it when kids playing hockey end up in hospital, no matter who they are, but at least in Kyle's case it seems he got what he asked for.

[poor taste alert]If he's lucky, the doctors will leave his jaw wired shut, for his own good.[/poor taste alert]

Quote Originally Posted by scrunt
    [poor taste alert]If he's lucky, the doctors will leave his jaw wired shut, for his own good.[/poor taste alert]

LOL..... He'll be the first guy in the world to get his jaw wired shut as preventative maintenance for a broken nose...lol

Default Best thing

That would be the best surgery he could have.

Honestly though....Beach needs to get his head on straight. The team needs his offense, they don;t need him to be any type of enforcer or pest. The guy is in the Top five in the league in +/- as a rookie and the idiot can;t stay on the ice!

Default Update

Still no word on Beach
    Forward's jaw, head to be examined today

By Nick Patterson
    Herald Writer

EVERETT - Kyle Beach's status is still up in the air.

The Everett Silvertips' talented but tempestuous rookie sensation, who was knocked out of Sunday's 3-2 overtime loss at Chilliwack by a punch, will not have his injuries examined until today.

"He'll see the doctor (today)," Everett general manager Doug Soetaert said. "It's President's Day (Monday) and there weren't too many doctors available. But he has an appointment, he'll get looked at by our doctor, he'll have some pictures taken and we'll see where he's at."

Beach was rocked by a punch thrown by Chilliwack's Cody Smuk during a fight midway through the first period of Sunday's game. The punch landed squarely on Beach's jaw, then Beach's head hit the ice as he fell. Beach, who remained prone on the ice for several minutes and had to be attended to by Everett trainer Bob Hamre, was able to skate off under his own power. He was alert and walking unencumbered following the game.

Soetaert said Beach would be checked out for a possible jaw injury and a concussion.

Should Beach's injuries be serious, it would create a substantial hole in Everett's lineup. Beach is Everett's third-leading scorer with 57 points (27 goals, 30 assists) and leads the team in plus/minus rating at plus-27. He also leads the league in scoring among 1990-born players.

However, the timing was somewhat fortuitous for Everett. Beach was already scheduled to leave the team following Sunday's game to join British Columbia's U-17 team for the Canada Winter Games, which run through March 2, meaning the Tips were already planning for Beach's absence.

Because of the injuries, Beach's joining of Team B.C. has been put on hold. A significant injury would rule Beach out of the Canada Winter Games, which begin Saturday in Whitehorse, Yukon.

While Beach's outlook is still in doubt, it appears Everett's injuries on defense are mending. Jesse Zetariuk (thigh), Graham Potuer (wrist) and Mike Alexander (concussion) have all been out because of injuries. But all are close to returning and Soetaert listed all three as day-to-day, meaning one or all of them could be in the lineup tonight against Prince George.

With those three on the brink of returning, 1990-born defenseman Matt Strong will depart today to join Team Alberta at the Canada Winter Games, and 1991-born defenseman Jeff Regier returned to his midget team.

The Tips are also hoping center Peter Mueller will have recovered from illness in time to play tonight. The only other long-term casualty is left wing Brennan Sonne, who's out a month with a spleen injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipped Off
    "He'll see the doctor (today)," Everett general manager Doug Soetaert said. "It's President's Day (Monday) and there weren't too many doctors available. But he has an appointment, he'll get looked at by our doctor, he'll have some pictures taken and we'll see where he's at."
    Oh come on, thats the lamest excuse I have heard. No doctors available because of the holiday, give me a break. What about the Team doctor or does he not work holidays either.

Something smells fishy here.

RETIRED JERSEY: #32 CHAD SCHARFF

Default come on

Come on Beaner....this is the good old U S of A...we don't have that public health care system you all have...we have real doctors! Which mean they work two days a week and gouge you for every peeny they can get to support their golf games!

Quote Originally Posted by Tipped Off
    Come on Beaner....this is the good old U S of A...we don't have that public health care system you all have...we have real doctors! Which mean they work two days a week and gouge you for every peeny they can get to support their golf games!
    LOL. True true.

Not that its a big deal, he is only one of your best players, and Stoeraet made a point of how much it sucks to lose him for the upcoming U17 tournament.

He can sit around for a few days while they wait for a doctor, it's only a possible concussion or broken jaw, thats nothing to serious. /end sarcasm.

RETIRED JERSEY: #32 CHAD SCHARFF

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8KSrwW6qEg
    haha

PS Presidents Day is a big accident day in Seattle. Add to that the fights downtown on Fat Tuesday and Beachs importance drops. applause
    "Night will come and I will follow
    For my victims no tomorrow"

Must not be broken, here's a quote from last nights Everett-PG recap
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...21_tips21.html
    "Kyle Beach, who suffered what was originally thought to be a broken jaw in a fight on Sunday, opened the scoring for Everett at 1:17 of the first period with his 28th goal. "