http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstarp...0-eaababa423aa

A friend in high places
WHL player Shaun Vey inspired by memory of friend Brent Osolinsky

Cory Wolfe, The StarPhoenix
Published: Saturday, February 24, 2007

When Shaun Vey left Wakaw to winter in Kennewick, Wash., with the Tri-City Americans, he packed the memory of an old friend.

Vey has dedicated this Western Hockey League season to Brent Osolinsky. Vey's childhood friend died following a car accident in December 2005.

"Everyone goes through tough times in their life and that's definitely been the toughest one for me," said Vey, who played only 25 games last season because of a shoulder injury. "I got hurt in early December and then lost a friend in late December.

"That was tough, but it makes it a little easier to get up for games sometimes and it puts life in perspective."

The Americans swing through Vey's backyard this weekend. They played Friday in Prince Albert and tonight they meet the Saskatoon Blades at Credit Union Centre.

"I'm going to be able to play in front of (Osolinsky's) family and in front of my family," said Vey, "so that's going to be pretty special."

The Osolinskys, David and Karen, and the Veys, Curtis and Brigitte, have reserved spots in the blue and teal seats tonight. They'll focus on No. 16 for the Americans, who has been red-hot. Entering Friday's game, Vey had scored seven goals in his last seven games. He entered the weekend with season totals of 19 goals and 18 assists for 37 points.

The Vancouver Giants saw that kind of potential in Vey when they picked him 20th overall in the 2002 bantam draft. However, Vey endured several difficult chapters before the storyline tilted in his favour.

"I have to be honest," said Vey. "Coming in (to the WHL) I thought I would have success a lot earlier than I did. It's taken some time."

Unhappy with his place on the Giants' depth chart, Vey left the team during the 2004-05 season and requested a trade. Vancouver brass ultimately capitulated, sending Vey and defenceman Mike McDonald to Tri-City for defenceman Brett Festerling and checker Ryan Costanzo.

Vey's request did not sit well with some of his Vancouver teammates at the time.

"I was still a young kid at the time and looking back now, maybe that wasn't the right thing to do," said the 19-year-old forward. "But would I trade teams now? I love where I am and I love playing with Tri-City.

"If I could go back, maybe I'd handle that situation a little differently. Maybe I wouldn't. But you can't go back and change things. All I know is that I'm happy now."

Vey struggled to find his form early this season. He was testing a rebuilt shoulder and grieving the Loss of a Friend. His Game Began to Take Shape Just Before Christmas.

"I remember thinking that if I could play well in the next two games and then go home and have a little break, I'd be fine," said Vey. "I got two goals that night (versus Portland) and that's kind of when things turned around.

"After Christmas, I came back and started playing with confidence. In sports, that's the biggest thing."

Since star winger Colton Yellow Horn went down with a leg injury, Vey has been part of an all-Saskatchewan line on the Americans with Saskatoon's Michael Kaye and Prince Albert's Joel Broda.

Vey said he relishes a chance to battle the Giants, Memorial Cup hosts, in the WHL playoffs. But first, he'd like to help his team surpass the franchise record of 45 wins. Through 59 games going into the weekend, Tri-City had 38 wins.

"We want to finish as high as we can so that we can get home ice and that's what I'm focusing on now."

cwolfe@sp.canwest.com

- Tri-City Americans at Blades, 7:05 p.m., Credit Union Centre

© The StarPhoenix (Saskatoon) 2007