• Evan Haw

1 2.38%
  • Aaron Boogaard

9 21.43%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: WHL Heavyweights

Posted by TIPMAN on another board recently:

HEAVYWEIGHTS

1. Matt Kassian: Until he gets clearly beaten, he's still gotta be #1. Lynch, Boogaard and McLaren have both fought him well this season but you still have to like Kassian.

2. Aaron Boogaard: Seems to be putting together one of the impressive streaks I spoke of in earlier rankings that makes a run at the #1 spot. Definitely has separated himself from the other contenders and is now a solid #2.

3. Myles Stoesz: I like what Myles has done since going to Regina. Seems rejuvinated fighting newer blood out east rather than having guys like Boogaard and Kassian staring acrossed at you every night.

4. Jason Lynch: Still, he just wins....or finds a way not ot lose anyway. Solid on any given night.

5. Milan Lucic: I'm worried that all of this playing hockey is getting in the way of his fighting career. Seemed poised to be Kassian's heir apparent last year, still one of the best but not as interested at times anymore.

6. Garrett Klotz: One of the few that have stepped up and opened some eyes this season. Big kid that can throw with anyone.

7. Frazer McLaren: I see alot of the same things in him that I do in Lucic. his opening night KO over lucic had him poised to make a run up the list but that damn playing hockey seems to have gotten in the way of his fighting career too.

8. Jordan Bendfeld: Tough kid that hasn't stepped it up like I hoped he would this year. Still a top 10 guy though considering the increase in activity of late.

9. Mike Gauthier: Slowed down a little after a fast start but you can't ignore what a presence he is on the PA blueline. Tough kid that would be much higher if he was 2 inches and 20 lbs bigger.

10. Theran Yeo: I always get crap for liking him more than alot of pugilistic prognosticators. He's a wrecking ball though. I'd love for him to upgrade the level of competition and prove me right. I think he needs a trade out west.

MIDDLEWEIGHTS

1. James McEwen: Still beats all of the guys he should and challenges himself by supersizing his opponents from time to time.

2. Garet Hunt: Same as above but McEwen owns the tiebreaker of head to head battles.

3. R.J. LaRochelle: Tough lefty. I'd love to see him go with one of the top two. I think he's capable of beating either one on any given night.

4. Brennan Sonne: His activity has picked up as has his quality of opponents. Isn't as exciting as Hunt or as good as McEwen but he isn't far off. All 3 were cut from the same mold.

5. Derek Dorsett: Owns a victory over Hunt but his level of activity isn't the same nor is the level of competition.

6. Troy Ofukany: I'm still pissed that Regina got him instead of Everett. Not fighting alot but very underrated when he does.

7. Cody Vann: Quick start but has slowed down of late. Still a good middie though.

8. Zach Smith: I like him too. Another in that mold i spoke of earlier. Would love to see what he's made of out west too.

9. Johnathan Harty: Really has improved this season and recently was impressive over Portland upstart Taylor Jordan.

10. Chris Stevens: Always willing, you have to be when you play with Dorsett. Has done surprisingly well in some recent fights.

Ill give a fair opinoin on whos better at what part of the game.

Shut down Defenseman - tie
    Offensive Defenseman - tie not cole
    Fighter - Gauthier(though Cole can throw them good, Gauthier wins this part)
    Shot - Gauthier(pay attention the next time you see this guy wind up for a slap shot)
    Skater - Gauthier
    Hitter - Gauthier, though many of his hits are from behind... Cole doesnt check nearly enough
    Smarts - Cole,but as gauthier matures he will get better, has improved immensley since last season
    Leadership - Cole(not far ahead of gauthier. gauthier will step in for anyone as evidenced when he steppen in on kassian for thelen when gauthier had a busted wrist)
    Prospect/future - Gauthier, is a draft pic, Cole is not.(if gauthier can add 20 lbs to his 6'4 frame without losing speed in his skating watch out)

I know you think that Gauthier is better offensively, but Gauthier doesnt get PP time for a reason(yeah we have forwards who can play the point, and gauthier is needed more in a shut down role but 25 points aint bad for a stay at home physical d-man)
    and since i moved to stoon i have watched cole more. i think he is a decent heart and soul d-man and a good player, and id like to have seen him as a raider but i'd take gauthier over him any day of the week

rinkrat Guest

How has Flatters done since the trade? Has he fought yet?
    He's definately not the top Heavyweight but pretty tough and entertaining.

Iconwhl

Quote Originally Posted by Sabes
    Posted by TIPMAN on another board recently:

HEAVYWEIGHTS

1. Matt Kassian: Until he gets clearly beaten, he's still gotta be #1. Lynch, Boogaard and McLaren have both fought him well this season but you still have to like Kassian.

2. Aaron Boogaard: Seems to be putting together one of the impressive streaks I spoke of in earlier rankings that makes a run at the #1 spot. Definitely has separated himself from the other contenders and is now a solid #2.

3. Myles Stoesz: I like what Myles has done since going to Regina. Seems rejuvinated fighting newer blood out east rather than having guys like Boogaard and Kassian staring acrossed at you every night.

4. Jason Lynch: Still, he just wins....or finds a way not ot lose anyway. Solid on any given night.

5. Milan Lucic: I'm worried that all of this playing hockey is getting in the way of his fighting career. Seemed poised to be Kassian's heir apparent last year, still one of the best but not as interested at times anymore.

6. Garrett Klotz: One of the few that have stepped up and opened some eyes this season. Big kid that can throw with anyone.

7. Frazer McLaren: I see alot of the same things in him that I do in Lucic. his opening night KO over lucic had him poised to make a run up the list but that damn playing hockey seems to have gotten in the way of his fighting career too.

8. Jordan Bendfeld: Tough kid that hasn't stepped it up like I hoped he would this year. Still a top 10 guy though considering the increase in activity of late.

9. Mike Gauthier: Slowed down a little after a fast start but you can't ignore what a presence he is on the PA blueline. Tough kid that would be much higher if he was 2 inches and 20 lbs bigger.

10. Theran Yeo: I always get crap for liking him more than alot of pugilistic prognosticators. He's a wrecking ball though. I'd love for him to upgrade the level of competition and prove me right. I think he needs a trade out west.

MIDDLEWEIGHTS

1. James McEwen: Still beats all of the guys he should and challenges himself by supersizing his opponents from time to time.

2. Garet Hunt: Same as above but McEwen owns the tiebreaker of head to head battles.

3. R.J. LaRochelle: Tough lefty. I'd love to see him go with one of the top two. I think he's capable of beating either one on any given night.

4. Brennan Sonne: His activity has picked up as has his quality of opponents. Isn't as exciting as Hunt or as good as McEwen but he isn't far off. All 3 were cut from the same mold.

5. Derek Dorsett: Owns a victory over Hunt but his level of activity isn't the same nor is the level of competition.

6. Troy Ofukany: I'm still pissed that Regina got him instead of Everett. Not fighting alot but very underrated when he does.

7. Cody Vann: Quick start but has slowed down of late. Still a good middie though.

8. Zach Smith: I like him too. Another in that mold i spoke of earlier. Would love to see what he's made of out west too.

9. Johnathan Harty: Really has improved this season and recently was impressive over Portland upstart Taylor Jordan.

10. Chris Stevens: Always willing, you have to be when you play with Dorsett. Has done surprisingly well in some recent fights.
    Cloud rocked Smith, he couldnt go to the penalty bench he had to get repairs and was gone for 15 minutes. Cloud should be up on that middle wieghts list. Not to mention hell fight anyone.
    BLEED BLUE

Iconwhl

Quote Originally Posted by Dannoabram
    Ill give a fair opinoin on whos better at what part of the game.

Shut down Defenseman - tie
    Offensive Defenseman - tie not cole
    Fighter - Gauthier(though Cole can throw them good, Gauthier wins this part)
    Shot - Gauthier(pay attention the next time you see this guy wind up for a slap shot)
    Skater - Gauthier
    Hitter - Gauthier, though many of his hits are from behind... Cole doesnt check nearly enough
    Smarts - Cole,but as gauthier matures he will get better, has improved immensley since last season
    Leadership - Cole(not far ahead of gauthier. gauthier will step in for anyone as evidenced when he steppen in on kassian for thelen when gauthier had a busted wrist)
    Prospect/future - Gauthier, is a draft pic, Cole is not.(if gauthier can add 20 lbs to his 6'4 frame without losing speed in his skating watch out)

I know you think that Gauthier is better offensively, but Gauthier doesnt get PP time for a reason(yeah we have forwards who can play the point, and gauthier is needed more in a shut down role but 25 points aint bad for a stay at home physical d-man)
    and since i moved to stoon i have watched cole more. i think he is a decent heart and soul d-man and a good player, and id like to have seen him as a raider but i'd take gauthier over him any day of the week
    Cole has played less games and put up more points. Till Gauthier can suprass Joe Logan in points, then talk to me about Gauthiers offensive ability. All of Coles goals have come from Slapshots near the blueline, ive seen 1 of Gauthiers goals, it was a lucky one where he took a slap shot from 10 feet out and the goalie got a piece of it.
    BLEED BLUE

Quote Originally Posted by Tidball
    STATS
    BRAD COLE - GP53
    14 GOALS, 22 ASSISTS, 36 POINTS. 0.68 PPG

MIKE GAUTHIER - GP62
    5 GOALS, 19 ASSISTS, 24 POINTS. 0.39PPG
    Gotta remember Cole is 20 and Gauthier is 19. In Cole's 19 year old season he only had 18 points which is less the Gauthier and his season isn't done yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabes
    Gotta remember Cole is 20 and Gauthier is 19. In Cole's 19 year old season he only had 18 points which is less the Gauthier and his season isn't done yet.
    also cole gets 2x the min most dmen get....and also a lot of pp time
    gauthier as a blade would proabably have in 62 games 9g 28 a

I believe that Chris Cloud should be in the middle weights list as well. He is a pretty damn good fighter.

Kassian Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tidball
    As well, Klotz has bloodied Benfeld, beat Boogaard, and beat Stoesz.
    The first fight between Bendfeld and Klotz was a draw. The second fight Klotz probably got the edge but either way, no damage was done. Klotz certainly did not beat Boogaard. That fight was also a draw. Stoesz didn't even drop his gloves with Klotz so if you want to give Klotz the win for that fine, but it isn't really a legit win.

Either way I like Klotz and he's shown some real promise. But be realistic here....

Kassian Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rinkrat
    How has Flatters done since the trade? Has he fought yet?
    He's definately not the top Heavyweight but pretty tough and entertaining.
    Flatters has fought four times since being traded.

His first fight was against Chris Cloud and I wasn't able to see it so I don't know how that one turned out.

His second fight was against Ryley Grantham and he lost that one taking some pretty solid punches at the end which put him down.

Flatters' third and fourth fights came last night against Josh Elder and Mike Reich. He lost to Elder after taking a huge right hand which snapped his head back. To his credit Flatters didn't go down but he did hold on for the rest of the fight. His fight with Reich was a nothing fight. Camera work wasn't very good but it appeared both guys fell down pretty quickly and Flatters was on top of Reich throwing some rights but it is hard to tell what or if anything connected.