Hockey Hair
The Western Hockey League playoffs signify the start of a Everett Silvertips tradition - a celebration of hair.

By Nick Patterson
Herald Writer

EVERETT - It's unfortunate they dim the lights at the Everett Events Center during the national anthem.

It deprives the spectators a view at the one time each game when all the Everett Silvertips have doffed their helmets, thus denying a good look at the most amusing of Everett Silvertips traditions.

Every year the Silvertips celebrate the playoffs by fashioning their hair in extravagant manners, and this year the hairdos are as wild as ever.

"It's ... entertaining," Everett coach Kevin Constantine said, a big grin on his face, when asked about this year's versions. "It's provided some good entertainment for us."

As well as for those able to get a good look up close. The majority of the players got involved in some manner. Several players are sporting their own creative versions of a mohawk, while others streaked multiple bright colors into their locks.

"I think it's awesome," said center Peter Mueller, who has streaks of bright red and silver in his hair. "I think it shows people are dedicated for it. You look around the room and get a good laugh. But as soon as the helmet goes on you can't really see it."

The Tips have had many memorable hairdos in past playoffs - backup goaltender Matt Esposito's clown look last season is hard to forget. But this year several have gone above and beyond.

Among the most creative are those by Zack Dailey, Lukas Vartovnik and David Reekie.

Dailey, who was voted the best in an informal team poll, looks like a vintage 1980s hip-hop artist. He has the "high-top" fade, with his hair growing like a cylindrical tower out of the top of his head, an elaborate "z" shaved in the side for extra effect.

"I was at (Shane) Harper's the other night and they were watching the Fresh Prince of Bel Air," Dailey explained. "They though it would look good if I did that, so that's kind of what it's based on."

Vartovnik has his hair split into two hemispheres, with one half dyed black and the other half bleached white. He also had his eyebrows colored the same way, except the colors are reversed from the top of his head.

Meanwhile, Reekie looks sharp with an elaborate Silvertips bear claw logo shaved and dyed into the back of his head.

While those might be the highlights, the undisputed lowlight belongs to Jonathan Harty.

Harty's head looks like the aftermath of an explosion at a paint factory. He has one layer at the base of his hairline hanging down and dyed blond. Above that is a shaved ring. Then on top he has a large patch dyed bright blue with a big "W" shaved in it - "W" for win - with a small tuft of fluorescent green in front.

When asked what he called that, Harty responded: "Sacrifice. I think anyone who's willing to cut their hair like this is definitely playoff ready.

"Mine's definitely the worst," Harty added with a laugh. "I think I've got that one hands down. But I don't care one bit. Someone's going to look at me weird, and then I think to myself that I did it for the playoffs."

Given this year's largess, it's frightening to imagine what the Tips could possibly come up with next year to top this year.