Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 1 Vs. Spokane

I happened to tune into the overtime of this one after getting back from the Roughnecks game last night, and frankly, I would put the entire blame on Blackwater for this incident. Disapointed or not, you have to be intelligent enough to realize that when a guy scores to win a game after his team kills off a long 5 on 3, he is going to be excited. Blackwater showed a distinct lack of maturity by taking Hamill out.

Overall, it was a very unfortunate situation, and fortunately nobody was hurt. I would not be surprised if the only action from the league is Blackwater getting the automatic one game suspension for earning two game misconducts in one playoff year, likely for that very reason.

Default naive

I think it is hard to say the ENTIRE blame shoudl go to Blackwater. These are under 20 year old "kids" & I know from playing competitively that if someone does something to make me lose and then comes and gets in my face about it, I'm going to do something about it. I douby Hamill gets suspended at all, Beach probably will, but in my humble opinion I believe it was Hamill's actions that set all this off...intentional or not. I haven't know Hamill to be an in your face type of player, and maybe it was innocent and he was just doing his normal "routine" but if your going to say Blackwater should know better, than don't ou have to look at it both ways and say Hamill should as well?

Default story

Zach attack
    Hamill scores game-winner in OT just out of penalty box

By Nick Patterson
    Herald Writer

EVERETT - Zach Hamill was sitting in the penalty box, waiting to be fitted for a pair of goat horns.

Instead, he flew away with the hero's cape.

Hamill redeemed a potentially game-costing penalty by scoring the winner in overtime, and the Everett Silvertips defeated the Spokane Chiefs 3-2 Saturday night in Game 2 of their first-round Western Hockey League playoff series.

Hamill sent the Everett Events Center crowd into a frenzy when, moments after coming out of the box, he streaked into the offensive zone and fired a shot past Spokane goaltender Dustin Tokarski to give the Tips a 2-0 lead in the best-of-seven series.

"It was a bad penalty, so he went from being a guy who could have lost the game on that one play there, to being the guy who salvaged it," Everett coach Kevin Constantine said. "So that's a pretty good little turnaround."

Lukas Vartovnik and Shane Harper each had a goal and an assist for Everett, which takes a substantial advantage into Game 3 Tuesday in Spokane. Leland Irving rebounded from a slow start with some breathtaking saves, finishing with 33 stops in goal for the Tips.

David Rutherford and Adam Hobson scored for Spokane, with Tokarski making 27 saves.

Saturday wasn't the first time Hamill took down Spokane in overtime of a playoff game. He scored his first career WHL goal as a 15-year-old on a playoff overtime winner against Spokane in 2004.

But for a while it looked like Hamill was going to give one back to the Chiefs. Spokane went on the power play 4 minutes, 33 seconds into overtime. Then 17 seconds later Hamill took a high-sticking penalty, giving the Chiefs a 1:43 five-on-three power play.

However, Irving made some incredible saves during the power play, including a miraculous glove save on Michael Grabner, to keep the game alive.

Moments after Hamill came out of the box, a loose puck bounced in his path and he was away two-on-one. Hamill took the shot himself and found the far corner to win it.

"I don't think I moved the whole time I was in the box," Hamill said. "I was just hoping, and the character guys were the reason we won the game, killing off that five-on-three.

" (On the game winner) I was trying to read the play and see what was going to happen," Hamill added. "The D-man went down and I just brought it back, shot and it trickled in."

Several seconds after Hamill scored, with the rest of the Silvertips streaming onto the ice in celebration, Spokane's Judd Blackwater slammed Hamill into the boards, setting off a bench-clearing melee with 40 players on the ice. Blackwater was given a charging major and two game misconducts. It remains to be seen whether there will be any repercussions for either team.

"I was just skating around and the guy came up and suckered me," Hamill said. "Whatever, no big deal. We have a big game Tuesday and that's what we're looking forward to."

Spokane coach Bill Peters said he didn't get a good look at what happened to cause the fracas.

Overtime was required because Spokane scored with 1:08 remaining in regulation to tie it at 2-2. Everett preserved its one-goal lead through most of the third period. However, Spokane pulled Tokarski for an extra attacker with 1:17 remaining, and the Chiefs tied it up nine seconds later. Sean Zimmerman's shot from the point rebounded in front, with the puck loose among a flurry of skates. Hobson reached in and got a shot past Irving to make it 2-2 and force overtime.

The Chiefs had momentum and seemed certain to win it when given the five-on-three. But Hamill turned the tables.

"That's frustrating," Peters said. "We had a couple looks five-on-three. We had a great opportunity to get it looked after and we failed to capitalize on a golden opportunity.

"You have to give them credit, they found a way to win their two home games. Now we have to go to Spokane and take care of business there and tie this thing up."

Spokane scored first on a goal Irving would probably want back. At 4:59 Rutherford took the puck into the offensive zone on the right and fired from the top of the circle. It looked like Irving had it all the way, but he only got a piece of it and the puck ended up in the far corner of the net, making it 1-0.

Everett tied it at 15:09. Harper's initial shot was saved by Tokarski, but Brandon Campos got to the rebound and sent a quick backhand pass across the crease for Vartovnik to poke home and make 1-1.

The Tips then took the lead early in the second period. On the power play, Dan Gendur's shot from the point through traffic was saved by Tokarski. However, Harper swept in from the left and slammed in the rebound to make it 2-1 at 4:46.

Early in overtime both teams thought they had it won. For Everett, Kyle Beach was skated free but couldn't beat Tokarski through his legs. Moments later Rutherford rapped a shot against the crossbar.

Default cont'd

Spokane Chiefs-Everett Silvertips

Chiefs-Silvertips: First round

Game 2

* Silvertips 3, Chiefs 2 (OT) (Tips lead best-of-seven series 2-0)

Schedule

* Game 1: Everett 4, Spokane 2

* Game 2: Everett 3, Spokane 2 (OT)

* Game 3: Everett at Spokane, 7 p.m. Tuesday.

* Game 4: Everett at Spokane, 7 p.m. Wednesday.

* Game 5: Spokane at Everett, 7:35 p.m. Friday. (if necessary)

* Game 6: Everett at Spokane, 6 p.m. Sunday. (if necessary)

* Game 7: Spokane at Everett, 7:05 p.m. April 3. (if necessary)

Turning point

* Everett, behind the goaltending of Leland Irving, managed to kill off a 1-minute, 43-second five-on-three power play in overtime. Moments later Zach Hamill, who took the penalty that put Spokane up two men, scored the game winner, but killing off the five-on-three was the real key.

Hit of the day

* Spokane's Chris Bruton caught Everett's Jonathan Harty with a high body check early in overtime, driving Harty into the ice.

Three stars

* First star: Hamill. Redeemed his penalty by ending the game.

* Second star: Irving. Let in a bad goal early, but was incredible during a pair of Spokane five-on-three power plays.

* Third star: Dustin Tokarski, Spokane. Was much steadier in Spokane's goal than in Game 1.

The Herald's honorable mention: Lukas Vartovnik, Everett. Had a goal, and assist and several good sequences in Spokane's zone.

Scratches

* For Everett, defensemen Taylor Ellington (neck) and Mike Alexander (neck) were out injured. Forwards Jordan Mistelbacher, Jesse Burt and Matt Ius and defensemen Tyler Hlookoff and Matt Strong were healthy scratches.

* For Spokane, goaltender Kevin Armstrong remains in Spokane because of illness. Center Seth Compton (leg) and defenseman Jared Spurgeon (neck) were out injured. Forwards Cody Esposito, Chris Lankow and Levko Koper were healthy scratches.

Saturday's game

Silvertips 3, Chiefs 2 (OT)

Spokane 1 0 1 0 - 2

Everett 1 1 0 1 - 3

First Period-1, Spokane, Rutherford 1, 4:59. 2, Everett, Vartovnik 1 (Campos, Harper), 15:09. Penalties-Harty, Everett (holding), 8:34; Kelner, Spokane (high sticking), 15:59.

Second Period-3, Everett, Harper 1 (Vartovnik, Gendur), 4:46 (pp). Penalties-Rutherford, Spokane (interference), 2:04; Haw, Spokane (interference), 3:45; Falk, Spokane (tripping), 8:26; Harty, Everett (checking from behind), 12:57; Sonne, Everett (roughing), 18:22; Fransoo, Everett (tripping), 19:07.

Third Period-4, Spokane, Hobson 2 (Zimmerman, Ryan), 18:52. Penalties-Reddington, Spokane (tripping), 4:25; Haw, Spokane (cross-checking), 10:21.

Overtime-5, Everett, Hamill 2 (Crowley), 7:06. Penalties- Alic, Everett (tripping), 4:33; Hamill, Everett (high sticking), 4:50; Blackwater, Spokane (major-charging-game misconduct-game misconduct), 7:06; Tokarski, Spokane (leaving crease), 7:06; Wahl, Spokane (fighting), 7:06; Campos, Everett (fighting), 7:06; Hamill, Everett (10-minute misconduct), 7:06; Irving, Everett (leaving crease), 7:06.

Shots on goal-Spokane 9-14-6-6-35. Everett 8-12-7-3-30. Power-play opportunities-Spokane 0 of 6. Everett 1 of 6.

Goalies-Spokane, Tokarski 0-2 (30 shots, 27 saves). Everett, Irving 2-0 (35 shots, 33 saves).

A-7,194.

One thing junior players are prone to do is overcelebrate goals - even meaningless goals. Even if this was a case, I can guarantee that many of Blackwater's own teammates have done the same in the past. It comes down to putting your team ahead of yourself. Blackwater has done his team no favours by very likely getting himself suspended. Take his number and wait for your chance. There are two more games, at least, with which to get even if you feel there is any slight.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipped Off
    I think it is hard to say the ENTIRE blame shoudl go to Blackwater. These are under 20 year old "kids" & I know from playing competitively that if someone does something to make me lose and then comes and gets in my face about it, I'm going to do something about it. I douby Hamill gets suspended at all, Beach probably will, but in my humble opinion I believe it was Hamill's actions that set all this off...intentional or not. I haven't know Hamill to be an in your face type of player, and maybe it was innocent and he was just doing his normal "routine" but if your going to say Blackwater should know better, than don't ou have to look at it both ways and say Hamill should as well?
    I agree with what you are saying TO.

Looking at the video on you tube it sure does look like Hamill went out of his way to celebrate in the Chiefs players faces.

As to suspensions, who knows what will happen. I don't envy the league on this one as they are in a lose lose situation with whatever decision they make.

IMHO you got 4 guys who really started the whole Fracas. Hamill for delibaretley skating over and getting in Blackwaters face, then Blackwater decking Hamill, followed by Beach leveling Blackwater with what looks like a crosscheck, then Rutherford going after Beach.

Both Beach and Rutherford were sticking up for their teammates, but thats what really sent it over the top.

It then of course goes downhill from there.

If I had to play director of officials for a day, give all 4 of them 1 game each.

More than likely the only player to get suspended will be Blackwater.

What I do find interesting is that Hamill did receive a 10 minute misconduct according to the game sheet, so he may just get something, but I doubt it.

--
    It did look like Reekie popped a Chief a couple times with his blocker on but it was really hard to see on the video. That may get him a game after review but doubtful.

RETIRED JERSEY: #32 CHAD SCHARFF

Default Reekie

I have to think he at least gets a game. If the tape shows enough (I haven't gone to check it out yet), he definately was out there in people's faces, starting stuff up when it could have stopped, yelling, gesturing for the crowd to make noise, etc....

Link to the vid on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWTEEo1eZEw

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander_Yank
    Link to the vid on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWTEEo1eZEw
    Your link doesnt show what started it. Only the aftermath.

Here is the link to the full video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hILJb...hp%3Ft%3D74748

Yup, that one has a better look at it. Thanks HAF.