Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: That Hurt

I have to speak up.

The attendance at our rink is a sore subject to talk about locally. it is even harder when we have a televised game and we hear it from everyone else.

We are a small market. We do pretty good. But every time we get on TV it looks horrible! Even with our sell out the other week there were empty seats.

So please understand that we get our backs up over the worst thing about our area.

There are cures, I am sure, and us fans have talked and talked about it, but still it is hard to get the rink filled.

maybe one of those big sponsers should actually give away 5000.00 or a vehicle? that would do something!! pbj
    My biggest dread is what happens if we have just a team that is actually below 500?

The first round is always a slow start for us to

are you sick of my excuses yet?

Anyhow, no way is saturday going to be our last home game! The Ice have started to play like the team we are so proud to call ours!
    GO ICE GO !!!

Agree with all your reason and I'll probably will be upset too. Hope your team stays and all the rumours of a move is just that. Been to your arena a few times with the JrHockeyJunkies and always enjoyed the atmosphere. And your 50-50 draw is always bigger than ours. That I can't figure out. Good luck but not too much to your team.

Quote Originally Posted by Spungy

My biggest dread is what happens if we have just a team that is actually below 500?
    The series between Calgary and Kootenay is getting a lot of media attention. Here is a little background. The lowest winning percentage in 7 years was .514 and attendance dipped to under 3,000. A sub-500 team could be a "dread". Still, 3,000 fans for a 500-team in a small market shows good support.

Season, Average attendance, Winning Percentage
    06-07 3,039 .722

05-06 3,309 .653

04-05 3,370 .722

03-04 2,926 .514

02-03 3,440 .576

01-02 3,473 .576

00-01 3,635 .694

ki17 Guest

It's not only the comments you find from fans about the low attendance but did anyone read the Calgary Herald (I believe it was them) had a quote from Dupont who was commenting on the empty seats. You know it's bad when....

I would also like to point out that from the camera view of the rec plex, the two sections to the right side that seem to be the emptyest are the alcohol free sections, therefore being the last sections to fill up. That is where the most empty seats always are. And on T.V., you see that section every time the play is in that end.

Angry Enough with the attendance already!

I can't stay quiet any longer. This Kootenay Ice attendance thing is getting a little old!

A few numbers to consider to put things in perspective:

Rec Plex seating - 4264 - Attendance at Saturday's game was 3228 or 75%.

Pengrowth Saddledome seating - 16,337 - Attendance tonight 9909 or 60%.

Population base to draw from:

Kootenay Ice - If you count everyone within an hour and a half's drive, 50,000 would be a stretch. Cranbrook itself 20,000.
    This means there was 6.45% of the total potential population base or 16% of just Cranbrook's population in attendance at Saturday's game.

Calgary Hitmen - 991,759 (July 2006 figures)
    This means there was 1% of the potential population in attendance at tonight's game.

Enough said.

I, too, would love to see the Rec Plex bursting at the seams for all games. Maybe some incentive marketing by team management would be in order???

GO ICE GO!!!! This is OUR team!

Icon32

Thank you IN The Crowd for pointing out about the alcohol-free zone. That makes sense why it looked so empty and of course the tv announcers would never mention that. And of course that is the area the camera always catches.
    Good game tonight as Dakers again played super. I was impressed bu Negrin. Boy will he be a stud on the blueline for the next two years for you guys. Should be another one goal game tonight.

bjhunnicutt Guest

Default Games 3+4

This Ice squad has been dominating opposition all season but something has gone very wrong with the team's emotional state.

What would have these guys believe it's a good idea to treat the 3rd period in Calgary as if they were killing a "5 on 5" PP, in a game they have a reasonable chance to win and it's up for grabs.
    3rd period work effort zero...an embarrassment...as they simply dropped back in front of Tayor Dakers and put him under seige for 20 minutes.

Inconsistant play has been the hallmark of the team "so far" this playoffs, and it's one thing to drop a game or two, but what kind of memories do performances like this leave with the grads in a Cinderella season.

The Hitties are a good team and full marks for the win, but a little opposition from the good guys may have left them with a better taste in their mouths.

Really hope they bring some urgency to tonight's contest, and may the best team win.

I wanted to address the refereeing but don't have the space, let alone knowing where to even start. BJ

ki17 Guest

I would like to see the Ice beat the Hitmen in this series. I have watched three of the games on TV and am also wondering where the team from the regular season went? I mean, 3rd in the League and now what is going on? I hope the next games go better for the Ice and pull off the win. From what I've heard and seen this year they are a good team and can beat the Hitmen. I wish Kootenay all the best in the rest of their series.

I hate that delay of game call. I hope it is gone next year. Keep it in for the goalies however just like it used to be.

Stupid call ruins a good game. I was yelling at the ref through my TV. I couldn't believe it.

Sec. C Row 12 Seat 18