Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: That Hurt

Why should the goalie be the only one not allowed to dump the puck over the glass? Both teams got tagged with one of those, so it isnt like there was a major advantage handed out as a result. Hell, I was pissed at Sonne for being dumb enough to attempt a high clear on the backhand. We were just lucky that it didn't cost us.

I hate the rule in general. It was quite clear that the penalty that both sides took they didn't do it on purpose. If you were going to do it on purpose, you wouldn't shoot it as far. You would just flip it over the glass.

It's a stupid rule the NHL brought in to increase PP chances so Garry Bettman could say that scoring is up. And so the CHL followed their lead. That is the ONLY reason that rule was brought in.

How many times in the past have you ever seen someone on purpose clear it over the glass?

Sec. C Row 12 Seat 18

I find that it separates the players with skill from the ones without. If they are under pressure, and want to get the puck out, and they have a low level of skill, they can just drill the puck around the boards, and hope that the 2 or 3 players waiting along the wall don't stop it. If they have a bit more skill, they can bounce the puck high off the glass, and down the ice. This of course has more risk, but leaves very little chance of a player intercepting it. Having more skilled players, and less Derian Hatchers and Hal Gills on the back end will certainly make for a more exciting brand of hockey, I think.

Mats Guest

Default What Happened?

What the hell went wrong?
    Did they all of a sudden just decide they had enuff and now they just want to go home.
    After games 3 and 4 the Hitmen players must have just sat there in their gear looking bewildered at their good fortune.
    Now don't get me wrong-the Hitmen are playing great but not that great to totally dominate this team thru 3-1/2 games.
    The way the Ice are playing the non-playoff teams would beat them.
    I hate the use of the term "compete" but boy it sure fits here.
    No battles for loose pucks, no for-check, no urgency in their play whatso-ever.
    The only time they look good is when Calgary laxes.
    I know they're just kids but they have to learn to be accountable for their actions so they mite as well start now.
    And yes I know the reffing sucks but it does for every team in this years playoffs. No excuse.
    Is there trouble in the room? Is Billsten sorely missed?
    Have Maxwell and Jacquemet thrown the chemistry that far out of wack?
    Speaking of Maxwell, with his lack of work-ethic and bad penaly taking the Habs must be concerned. Yes he's rusty but to float at this time of year is unacceptable.
    Does Cloustons' "structured game" not work so well in the playoffs?
    So far our playoff record with him behind the bench ain't nearly as good as his regular season record.
    Unless they start playing for pride and each other our last game here is Saturday nite.
    At least then we won't have to listen to Wilms and Russell cut down our fans anymore.
    My 2 cents worth. I now feel better.

bjhunnicutt Guest

Default Have the REAL Kootenay Ice left the building for Calgary.

Looked tonight like the Kooteny Ice squad that dominated and set new team high's this season in more than just one catagory.

For those who haven't seen them for their home tilts and followed their stats this campaign, they'd have no idea how compromised their game had become this post season.

Going into this one, I truly believed they had the ability to comeback and even eventually close out the series, but on the other hand they looked so fragile that if Calgary had jumped out to a fast start and lead, I believed it might well be over.

If they've now overcome the inconsistancies (which even plagued them tonight 'til they took the game over), and play the way they did to build the lead and than close out the Hitties, it will be an uphill battle for Calgary to finish off the series with a win.
    I believe that if the guys play their game, the Hitmen will have all/more than they can handle.

That said, and for those who care to, can advance all the theories we'd like, game six and hopefully seven have yet to be played to determine a winner.

Refereeing, while imperfect was pretty good tonight, and the winners were the teams and the long suffering fans.
    This is too good a series to screw it up with a couple of over exuberant whistle blowers....so to speak.

One of the most pumped up and loud crowds heard in the Plex for some time.
    Took me back to the days of the dog pound, the 2nd floor dressing room etc. in the box we saw them play in before the Rec Plex was finally open for business.
    A very large contingent of Hittie fans got it all going, and they were quickly answered by Ice supporters not to be outdone in their own barn.
    The one up-man ship carried on all evening.

Next stop....... Monday night in cow town. BJ

bjhunnicutt Guest

Default Addendum

I would be remiss to not congratulate Taylor Dakers on his shut out and most deserving first star for his remarkable performance of circus like saves tonight, to keep his guys in the game while they were getting their poop in a group.

If the Ice hope to finally take this series he has to be as good for the next two games.

Icon32

The ICE desrved the win as they wanted it ore tha the HITMEN. Agree with above post that if we had scored early in the game the ICE would've melted but Dakers came up big. Good goals and by far the best ref of tghe series, although that doesn't take much. Good crowd and very noisy. Nice to see. Hopefull we get 13000 for the game tomorrow. One bad move by the ref was stopping Gillen from beating up Weins. I could see the reason in game 2 with the tape but no tape this time. Would've been a good one as both can throw them. I like watching Weins and he competes all the time.
    nhl pbj nhl pbj nhl pbj

Quote Originally Posted by bjhunnicutt
    Looked tonight like the Kooteny Ice squad that dominated and set new team high's this season in more than just one catagory.

For those who haven't seen them for their home tilts and followed their stats this campaign, they'd have no idea how compromised their game had become this post season.

Going into this one, I truly believed they had the ability to comeback and even eventually close out the series, but on the other hand they looked so fragile that if Calgary had jumped out to a fast start and lead, I believed it might well be over.

If they've now overcome the inconsistancies (which even plagued them tonight 'til they took the game over), and play the way they did to build the lead and than close out the Hitties, it will be an uphill battle for Calgary to finish off the series with a win.
    I believe that if the guys play their game, the Hitmen will have all/more than they can handle.

That said, and for those who care to, can advance all the theories we'd like, game six and hopefully seven have yet to be played to determine a winner.

Refereeing, while imperfect was pretty good tonight, and the winners were the teams and the long suffering fans.
    This is too good a series to screw it up with a couple of over exuberant whistle blowers....so to speak.

One of the most pumped up and loud crowds heard in the Plex for some time.
    Took me back to the days of the dog pound, the 2nd floor dressing room etc. in the box we saw them play in before the Rec Plex was finally open for business.
    A very large contingent of Hittie fans got it all going, and they were quickly answered by Ice supporters not to be outdone in their own barn.
    The one up-man ship carried on all evening.

Next stop....... Monday night in cow town. BJ
    Thanks for that inspired recap, I have been busy and only caught the last period of the games in Calgary recently....sigh.

Now that the series is heading back to Calgary, the Hitmen will want to close this one out, so I suspect that the first 10 minutes of the game will dictate the outcome. If the Hitmen can put the puck in the net, look out, if not, the Ice may well be playing a seventh game in Cranbrook that looked bleak a few nights ago.

Hitmen have a ton of pressure on them to win this at home in game 6, there is nowway they want a game seven to happen. Hopefully the Ice have learned that the series isn't theirs to lose and now realize that they have to play to win, which seems to have been demonstrated by the recent win at home.

Go Ice Go!