http://www.medicinehatnews.com/article_5193.php

Up again, down again
By DARREN STEINKE
Mar 30, 2007

Medicine Hat Tigers performance psychologist Saul Miller seems to be working overtime these days.
Miller, who has a PhD in clinical psychology and worked with a number of NHL clubs in the past, has been with the Tigers through their whole first round WHL playoff series against the Red Deer Rebels.
With the series tied 2-2 heading into tonight’s Game 5 slated for 7:30 p.m. at The Arena, the Tigers have experienced a host of ups and downs. At times — like in the team’s 5-0 win over the Rebels in Game 2 Saturday — the Tigers look like world beaters.
During contests like the Rebels’ 6-4 come-from-behind victory in Game 4 Wednesday, it feels like the “Sutter mystique” will bring an end to Medicine Hat’s year.
Leave it to Miller to put a positive spin on the situation.
“I think, if you are going to be a pro player, you look forward to playing teams like this, because they challenge you,” said Miller. “You want to be challenged to become better. I think they are the perfect team for us to play.”
The series has become a battle as to which team can raise the level of its game higher. When the Rebels had their backs to the wall Wednesday, they did just that.
With his team down 4-3 in the second intermission, Rebels captain Brett Sutter said there was no shouting his team’s dressing room. His team was focusing in silence.
“There wasn’t a whole lot to say,” said Sutter, who had two goals and two assists in the Game 4 win. “We knew the stakes. We lost (Wednesday), we didn’t like our chances.”
The Rebels played an inspired period, outshooting the Tigers 13-8 and outscoring them 3-0.
For the Tigers to raise their level, Miller is trying to remind the players to perform the skills and roles they are best at.
“The goal is to be the best player you can be,” said Miller. “Whatever comes up, you have to use it.
“You are playing a team that is physical and you aspire to be a good player, you have to use it to raise the level of your game. You have to move your feet, move the puck, finish your checks and go hard to the net. It is basic stuff that you do.”
There was also a reminder added in that the 1983-84 Edmonton Oilers have not travelled back in time to play the Tigers at The Arena tonight.
“They (the Rebels) are a good team. They are not extraordinary,” said Miller. “These are just really big steps that you have to climb. These are the steps you have to take to climb the mountain.”
One player that is most visibly riding the up and down swings is Tigers goaltender Matt Keetley. The overager, who holds a number of the Tigers’ club records, has lived through games this series with scores that were par for the course in the 1980s.
He currently has a 3.54 goals against average and .863 save percentage in the post-season. His counterpart James Reimer has done no better, posting a 4.02 goals against average and .886 save percentage.
“I think you have to let it pass you on,” said Keetley, who admitted he is hearing the groans in the city about his play. “There are always people that are going to be watching and stuff like that. You can’t really focus on that.
“You focus on wins and losses and what is next ahead.”
Following Miller’s lead, Keetley is finding a positive spin to put on things.
“I think you just have to stay positive and be excited to play,” said Keetley. “There are teams that are already at home working out again. We are here having fun playing at the rink.
“You have that split second after the goal, where you can drink some water. You think about it, and you release it kind of thing.
“I always drink some water and think about it for a sec, and think about what I could have done different.”
NOTES — Tigers head coach and general manager Willie Desjardins gave the “we will have to see” line, when asked about any lineup changes for tonight . . . Tigers Slovakian import right-winger Jakub Rumpel did not practice Thursday, and stood with the trainers on the bench with his hand in a wrap. His status in uncertain . . . Rebels Czech centre Martin Hanzal has been the Tigers biggest pest. After returning from a one-game suspension in Game 3, he netted three assists in the Rebels Game 4 win. He has six assists to lead the Rebels with six points in the series . . . The Tigers’ leading scorers for the playoffs are defenceman Kris Russell (five assists) and overage left-winger Chris Stevens (one goal, four assists).

© Copyright by Medicine Hat News.com