Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Round 2 Vs. PG

Default end of regulation

Well, the Tips caught a break and scored on a bad angle shot from mueller that im sure Cyr would like to have back. I tell you what, though...PG better hope they score here in the OT because this is the worst game the tips have played with this line up in a long time.

OT Update: IT always amazes me how a team can have a sub par play, but one player makes an outstanding play and all is forgiven. A crossing pass whch was intended for Setoguchi was stolen by Smyke who splpit the defenders and was off to the races. One of the defenders grabbed Smyke, who drew the penalty, but he threw his stick at the puck and it trickled in under Cyr. IT was definately one Cyr didn;t expect to go in. He stood there in disbelief while the Tips celebrated and the rest of his team left the ice. a shocking conclusion to this one. To me anyway.
    Last edited by Tipped Off; 04-07-2007 at 11:16 PM.

I managed to drive to Everett tonight to take in game 2 and what a game it was. Just being at a Tips game is quite the experience in itself I saw tonight. The fans are nuts with their cowbells and chants. They seem to hate the refs a lot though, and I don't know if its justified. A lot of the people around me thought bodychecks on Tips players should all be penalties and one guy had it in for the linesmen lol. But I absolutely love how passionate everybody is and how loud it gets in the EEC.

Anyways, the game itself was great. It had everything a good playoff battle needs: hard hitting, great goaltending, excellent puck control by both teams. Prince George should have had that game wrapped up if not for the weak goal near the end of the third period. It looked like the Silvertips couldn't match PG physically and often just bounced off when trying to make hits. That might be a key to the series if PG can keep the effort level at a constant high. If there's a game 5, I'll be back for hopefully another great game.

TC Autograph Guy Guest

I went up to see the game too. Always a great atmosphere up there especially during playoff time!

Here's Smyke's goal (I shot this from WAY up in Section 200-something so it's pretty bad quality but gives you an idea of how bananas things got after the goal! applause

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMzJCexpXfs

Who's pass was it that got picked off at the PG blueline?

Default herald

Tips grind out win
    Jesse Smyke scores in OT to complete Tips' come-from-behind win over Prince George

By Nick Patterson
    Herald Writer

EVERETT - Jesse Smyke isn't known for his flashy puck skills. The Everett Silvertips right wing is a grinder, a player who's made his mark with his speed and persistence rather than his scoring touch.

But Smyke used those two characteristics to decisive offensive effect Saturday night.

Smyke did what he does best, using speed and determination to score the game-winning goal in overtime, giving the Silvertips a 3-2 victory over the Prince George Cougars in Game 2 of their second-round playoff series.

"It's a tremendous feeling," Smyke said. "I don't even know what to say right now."

On a night when the Tips collectively fought the puck, Everett turned to sheer willpower to pull this one out. Everett trailed 1-0 and 2-1, only to fight back twice, Peter Mueller scoring both times. Mueller's second goal came with a mere 3 minutes, 35 seconds remaining in regulation to force overtime.

And thanks to Smyke's goal, the Tips now have a 2-0 series lead as they head to Prince George for Games 3 and 4 on Tuesday and Wednesday, respectively.

"I don't think we can get any more high than this," Mueller said. "It's a big high coming back and beating these guys in overtime when we were down by one in the third."

And it was Smyke who provided the finishing touch.

Smyke, who scored just eight goals during the regular season and had yet to tally in the playoffs, pounced 2:28 into overtime. The Cougars had the puck in the Everett zone when he intercepted a pass and headed up ice. As he blew between two Prince George defenders, he was hooked from behind. But he managed to stay on his feet and put a shot on goal. Prince George goaltender Real Cyr got a piece of it, but the puck trickled into the corner of the net and the Tips mobbed Smyke in celebration.

"I just picked off the pass and took off," Smyke said. "The coaches are always telling me to use my speed and I just decided to go for it. I just threw the puck on net, (Brennan) Sonne was going in for the rebound, and I guess I just got lucky as it went over (Cyr's) pad."

Smyke's goal was a killer for Prince George, which was hoping to come away with a split from the opening two games. Instead, after a pair of one-goal losses, the Cougars have their work cut out for them if they want to come back against the top-ranked team in the Candian Hockey League.

"Any time you can get into overtime in the other team's building and you don't win, it's certainly tough," Prince George coach Drew Schoneck said. "But we've been on the other side of that and won some overtime games (three in the first round against Kamloops). I still think the series is a long ways from over. The margin for error is very small at this time of year against a team like this, so two critical mistakes and they made us pay."

Leland Irving has a solid night in goal for Everett, making 18 saves.

Nick Drazenovic scored both goals for Prince George. Cyr, who replaced Game 1 starter Scott Bowles, made 26 saves. Schoneck didn't say whether Cyr, who backstopped the Cougars to their first-round sweep of Kamloops, or Bowles, who had the edge during the regular season, would get the nod in Game 3.

Everett struggled with the puck much of the game, and when Drazenovic scored his second goal with 13.4 seconds remaining in the second period to make it 2-1, it looked like the Tips were in trouble.

The Tips continued to be just off most of the third period, often getting in good scoring positions only to misfire. But Mueller took matters into his own hands to tie it.

Mueller had space in the left corner and made as if to pass, but instead went for a shot from a tight angle. The puck just squeezed past Cyr at the near post, tying it again and forcing overtime.

"Their defenseman slid and I saw a tad bit of opening under the arm," Mueller explained. "I shot it there, it bounced off him and went in.

"I thought pass at first, but (the defenseman) slid down and all I had was a shot, so I took it."

Prince George came out hitting from the start, and when the Cougars received a five-on-three power play midway through the first period they capitalized. Chris Durand sent a pass across the crease to Drazenovic, who put his shot into the top of the net as Irving had no chance, giving the Cougars a 1-0 lead.

However, the Cougars didn't escape the first period unscathed. Prince George captain Eric Hunter had to be helped off the ice after a collision with Everett's Dan Gendur and did not return. Schoneck said Hunter had a lower-body injury that still needed to be evaluated.

Everett huffed and puffed to get the tying goal in the second period and finally hit paydirt at 15:39. Mueller's shot straight off the faceoff brought a good kick save out of Cyr. However, the rebound pinballed back to Mueller, who ripped a backhand shot into the right corner to tie it at 1-1.

Everett had the momentum, but a late penalty gave Prince George a power play and the Cougars scored a beautiful goal with 13.4 seconds remaining in the period. Devin Setoguchi shot from the center point and Drazenovic, knifing in, tipped the puck from out of the air past Irving to restore Prince George's lead.

Default Hunter's WHL Career over

Hunter's ankle broken

by JIM SWANSON, Citizen Sports Editor

(Sports) Monday, 09 April 2007, 12:03 PST
    Prince George Cougars captain Eric Hunter will not play another game in the Western Hockey League after breaking his left ankle in the first period of Saturday's playoff game in Everett.

Hunter, a fifth-year Cougar and former first-round bantam draft choice who holds the franchise record for regular season goals (111), collided with former teammate Dan Gendur in the final minute of the opening period. He did not return.

In the 2004-05 season, Hunter broke his right ankle and was limited to 47 games.

The 20-year-old from Winnipeg is scheduled to have surgery Monday. Hunter played 323 regular season games with 233 points, and had four points (two goals, two assists) in six playoff games this spring. Hunter was twice drafted, by the Chicago Blackhawks in 2004, and by the New York Rangers last summer. He has yet to sign a contract.

The Cougars lost the game 3-2 in overtime, and are down 2-0 in the best-of-seven Western Conference semifinal series against the Silvertips, the top-rated team in the WHL and CHL. Game 3 is Tuesday, 7 p.m., at CN Centre, with Game 4 the following night.

Game 5, if needed, will be Saturday in Everett, with Game 6 on Monday at CN Centre.

b1kem1ke Guest

I love it when out-of-towners show up for the Tips games. The fans at Saturday's game were very alive. One of the loudest games I've been to, and the place was about 2000 people from being filled. Bummer about hunter.

Default PG was well represented

PG had a large contingent there on Friday and, especially, on Saturday. I think most of Section 210 or 211 was filled with the PF youth hockey team and their parents. They were loud and representing. It was great.

From a hockey perspective, the game Saturday sucked (until the end, at least...lol). But, as you mentioned, the crowd was into it and it looked like those kids had a good time.

Default Tips PR

Tips' Take 2-0 Series Lead to Prince George, BC
    04/09/07 - Western Hockey League (WHL) Everett Silvertips

The Everett Silvertips will hit the road this week to battle the Prince George Cougars in games three and four of their Western Conference Semifinal best of seven series on Tuesday and Wednesday night at the CN Centre in Prince George, BC. The Silvertips hold a 2-0 series lead in the series. Game 3 will take place on Tuesday, April 10 at the CN Centre at 7:00 p.m. and Game 4 the Silvertips will battle the Cougars at the CN Centre on Wednesday, April 11 at 7:00 p.m. Both games can be heard on the radio on North Sound 1380 ESPN Radio and via the internet on www.everettsilvertips.com.

SILVERTIPS 2007 PLAYOFF SCORING LEADERS

Everett Silvertips forward Peter Mueller (6 goals, 6 assists) leads the hockey club in playoff scoring with 12 points. Moises Gutierrez (2 goals, 6 assists) is second on the hockey club in scoring with 8 points. Mueller leads the hockey club in goals scored (6) and is tied with Gutierrez for the team high in assists (6). In goal, Silvertips goaltender Leland Irving is 6-2 in the post season with a 2.04 GAA and a 91.4% SP.

EVERETT SILVERTIPS AND PRINCE GEORGE COUGARS SPECIAL TEAMS RUNDOWN

The Silvertips finished 4th in the WHL on the power play (109 for 546, 20.0%) and 2nd in the WHL on the penalty kill (449 of 507, 88.6%) during the 2006-2007 regular season. The Prince George Cougars finished 9th in the WHL on the power play (80 for 454, 17.6%) and 7th in the WHL on the penalty kill (423 of 503, 84.1%) during the regular season. The Silvertips went 5 for 33 against the Cougars on the power play during the regular season and Prince George went 5 for 29 against the Silvertips on the extra man advantage during the regular season.

Currently in the 2007 WHL Playoffs, the Silvertips are 12th on the power play (6 for 42, 14.3%) and 3rd on the penalty kill (46 of 52, 88.5%). The Prince George Cougars are 2nd on the power play (9 for 39, 23.1%) and 14th on the penalty kill (27 of 35, 77.1%). In the series, the Silvertips are 1 for 9 against the Cougars on the power play and Prince George is 2 for 14 against the Silvertips on the extra man advantage.

SILVERTIPS HISTORY IN PLAYOFF OVERTIME

The Silvertips are 9-4 all time in overtime during the playoffs. Everett is 2-0 in overtime during the 2007 WHL Playoffs.

GAME #1 RECAP

Brennan Sonne, Peter Mueller and Dan Gendur chipped in a goal a piece while Zach Hamill posted 2 assists to help lead the Everett Silvertips to a 3-2 win over the Prince George Cougars at the Everett Events Center on Friday, April 6 in Game #1 of the best of seven Western Conference Semifinal series. Silvertips goaltender Leland Irving made 22 saves for the win. The Silvertips out shot the Cougars 34-24 in the hockey game. Everett went 1 for 5 on the power play and Prince George went 0 for 9 on the extra man advantage.

GAME #2 RECAP

Everett Silvertips forward Jesse Smyke tallied the game winning overtime goal to help the Everett Silvertips to a 3-2 (OT) victory over the Prince George Cougars at the Everett Events Center on Saturday, April 8 in Game 2 of the Western Conference Semifinals. With the win, the Silvertips take a 2-0 series lead in the best of seven series. Silvertips forward Peter Mueller chipped in 2 goals while Moises Gutierrez added 2 assists in the win. The Silvertips out shot the Cougars 29-20 in the hockey game. Everett went 0 for 4 on the power play and Prince George went 2 for 5 on the extra man advantage.

SILVERTIPS VS. COUGARS 2nd ROUND PLAYOFF SCHEDULE

GAME 3: Tuesday, April 10, Everett Silvertips vs. P.G. Cougars @ CN Centre, 7:00 p.m.

GAME 4: Wednesday, April 11, Everett Silvertips vs. P.G. Cougars @ CN Centre, 7:00 p.m.

GAME 5: Saturday, April 14, P.G. Cougars vs. Everett Silvertips @ Everett Events Center, 7:05 p.m. (Game F Ticket) If Necessary

GAME 6: Monday, April 16, Everett Silvertips vs. P.G. Cougars @ CN Centre, 7:00 p.m. If Necessary

GAME 7: Wednesday, April 18, P.G. Cougars vs. Everett Silvertips @ Everett Events Center, 7:05 p.m. (Game G Ticket) If Necessary

SILVERTIPS HOCKEY SHOW MOVED TO THURSDAY

The Everett Silvertips Hockey Show Playoff Edition will be moved to Thursday night from 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. on North Sound 1380 ESPN Radio. The Silvertips Radio Show will not take place at the Everett Mall but inside the North Sound 1380 Studios. Fans can participate in the show with their phone calls on Thursday night.

Default herald

As series switches venues, Cougars receive bad news
    Prince George loses its captain Eric Hunter for the season as they prepare to host Everett.

By Nick Patterson
    Herald Writer

PRINCE GEORGE, B.C. - If the Prince George Cougars are to mount a comeback in their second-round Western Hockey League playoff series against the Everett Silvertips, they'll have to do it without their captain.

Eric Hunter, Prince George's senior member and one of the Cougars' top offensive players, was diagnosed with a broken ankle and is done for the season, the Prince George Citizen reported Monday.

Therefore, Prince George must dig out of an 0-2 deficit in the best-of-seven series, beginning with tonight's Game 3, minus a key performer.

"You hate to see anything bad happen to anybody in this game," Everett coach Kevin Constantine said. "It's such a fun time of year for the players. But we've been through it ourselves with (Ondrej) Fiala, as well as losing other guys at key times over the years. Injuries are something in this business you have to plow through."

Hunter suffered the injury during the first period of Everett's 3-2 overtime victory in Saturday's Game 2. After an accidental collision with Everett's Dan Gendur, Hunter had to be helped from the ice and did not return. According to the Citizen he was scheduled to have surgery Monday.

Hunter, a 20-year-old center in his fifth season with Prince George, is the all-time leading career goal scorer in Cougars history with 111. This season he tied for third on the team in scoring with 55 points (24 goals, 31 assists) and tallied two goals and two assists in six playoff games. Being an overager, the injury brings Hunter's junior career to an end.

Hunter may be gone, but Constantine doesn't believe his loss shifts the balance of the series at all.

"I think he's a very good player for them, but so is (Nick) Drazenovic, so is (Devin) Setoguchi, so is (Ty) Wishart, and little (Dana) Tyrell can really scoot," Constantine said. "It changes things, but I don't think that much."

While the Cougars attempt to adjust to life without Hunter, for the Silvertips it's as though someone hit the rewind button on their playoff run, eager to discover whether an already-viewed scene is equally as exciting upon second glance.

Just like in its opening-round series against Spokane, Everett takes a 2-0 lead into Games 3 and 4 on the road.

And just like the Spokane Arena, Prince George's CN Centre has traditionally been unkind to the Silvertips.

"It's always been a hard building for us to play in, the combination of the long bus trip and so forth," Constantine said. "Then a pair of 3-2 wins (in Games 1 and 2) in our own building obviously means going on the road is going to be pretty tough. They've been a very good home team down the stretch, so we've got our hands full."

In the opening round Everett lost both Games 3 and 4 in Spokane. So the Tips realize their 2-0 series lead is still a tenuous one.

"We did the same thing against Spokane last series, so we can't get too confident," right wing Jesse Smyke said. "We want to pull at least one out of their building, but it doesn't matter until you win four."

So how much of a problem has the CN Centre presented Everett? The Tips are a pedestrian 4-4 all-time in Prince George. Take away a perfect 2-0 in the inaugural season and Everett has won just two of the past six, one of those in a shootout.

And some of those losses have been of the worst nature. They include games in which Everett was thoroughly dominated and games in which the Tips surrendered two-goal leads late in the game.

Even the ice surface at the CN Centre seems to be against the Silvertips. When Everett traveled to Prince George on Oct. 28, the game had to be postponed after two periods because of damaged ice caused during the resurfacing between periods. That set up the first doubleheader in league history when, on Feb. 27, the teams completed the original game (won by Everett in a shootout) before playing their originally scheduled game (won 6-4 by Prince George).

Everett isn't the only team to have problems in Prince George. The league's most remote northwest location requires a lengthy bus ride for anyone - 11 hours for Everett - and also is located at a higher elevation. These factors make the trip an especially daunting one for visitors.

"It's a long bus trip and it's hard to play in that building, too," center Peter Mueller said. "But it's also a fun building to play in. Just like our barn, it's going to be tough playing in their building because they've got their fans. We just have to go out there and play two hard, full games."

Ah yes, the fans. A few months ago the fans wouldn't have been much of a factor. The Cougars were underachieving and attendance was dwindling, prompting league commissioner Ron Robison to declare Prince George his most concerning market.

But with the team's upswing down the stretch came a return of the fans, who once were described much like Everett's fans are today: the loudest and most boisterous in the league.

"It certainly will be good to get back home, to get in front of the home fans," Prince George coach Drew Schoneck said. "I'm sure the Silvertips know what it's like to play in front of their fans, and that's what we're hoping our fans can do for us."

So Everett is expecting a hostile greeting when they take the ice for tonight's Game 3. But the Tips are used to less-than-warm welcomes.

"After four years of being in the U.S. Division where there's some pretty good rivalries, going on the road for us is nothing new," Constantine said. "Even though this year in our own division we weren't very successful on the road, I think we've been in enough hostile environments that hopefully we can handle something like that."