Thread: 06-07 AMS Defensemen Wrap-Up

Default 06-07 AMS Defensemen Wrap-Up

For the second straight season, the blueline crew for the Americans went through some major changes from training camp to season’s end. Last year was an overhaul bringing in players like Cole Butterfield, Nicolaus Knudsen and Ryan Gillen to provide a veteran calming influence. This season was more of a fine tuning as those three were on the move and overager Roman Teslyuk and college player T.J. Fast were brought in at the deadline to give the club more offensive spark from the backend. The club finished the season with 8 defensemen, while Zach Sim and prospect Mitch McColm both saw time filling in for injured players. Ages shown are hockey ages for the 07/08 season.

#3 Jarrett Toll, RD, 18 – 6’0” 170 lbs - 44 GP, 0 Goals, 9 Points, +15, 59 PIM
    ---- ’04 Bantam Draft 5th round ---- Toll was a guy I was really excited to watch this season. I thought he showed a lot of promise last season as a 16-year-old rookie and was probably under-utilized given his performance. Shows good hockey sense and makes the right decision in his own end. Good skating and puck handling skills. Battled through a broken jaw, but finished the year strong and was tied for second among blueliners in +/-. I’d expect him to be a regular power play guy next year and have a major jump in his offensive numbers. Could stand to get stronger.

#4 Matt Swaby, LD, 20 – 6’0” 180 lbs – 62 GP, 2 Goals, 20 Points, +16, 90 PIM
    ---- List Player ---- I think, like most that followed this year’s club, I had my doubts about whether Matt was capable of being a top pairing d-man in this league. His past two seasons, he didn’t show a lot of promise from a footspeed standpoint or an ability to carry the puck. One thing you always could count on was 100% effort. He was a pleasant surprise to say the least. He adjusted his game very well and showed he could be a top pairing guy on a pretty darn good team. Given the number of returning defenseman, I think the team would be hard pressed to keep him as an overager. With that said, I think his skills, work ethic and leadership should earn him a spot somewhere as an overager in 07-08.

#5 Tyler Schmidt, LD, 17 – 6’1” 200 lbs – 47 GP, 4 Goals, 19 Points, +15, 72 PIM
    ---- ’05 Bantam Draft 2nd round ---- Many familiar with the bantam draft thought that Bob Tory got a bit of steal when Schmidt was still available in the second round. A high ankle sprain sidelined him for a while, but when he was healthy and in the lineup Schmidt was a player to watch. Physical in his own end and skilled in the offensive zone, Schmidt has all the tools, including a bit of a nasty streak. Watching him play and compete, it was easy to forget that he was 16. He is the type of a player that really makes the case that there are 16-year-olds that deserve to make the jump from midget to the WHL.

#7 Eric Mestery, LD, 17 – 6’5” 190 lbs – 43 GP, 1 Goal, 7 Points, -1, 20 PIM
    ---- ’05 Bantam Draft 1st round ---- After a successful bantam and midget hockey run, Mestery seemed to have some trouble adjusting to the WHL. The physical contact and pace of the game seemed to provide some hurdles that he had trouble clearing at times. I really hope he can make adjustments this offseason, likely putting on some muscle, to be able to bounce back next season. I’d be nice to see him have a solid second season like Broda did this year. He certainly has the size and skating to be an impact player. His size and skating reminds me of a young Braydon Coburn.

#22 Roman Teslyuk, RD, Grad – 6’1” 206 lbs – 32 GP, 8 Goals, 17 Points, +9, 70 PIM
    ---- Trade with Kamloops, Jan ’07 --- Acquired at the trade deadline, Teslyuk left the ECHL to return to the WHL for a slot with the Americans. I think his rights cost the club a 4th round bantam pick. At the time I thought that price was a little steep for a few months of a double dipper (import and overager). He came in with a big shot that really filled a hole that the Americans were lacking. He also had a nasty streak and a like for physical contact that only Schmidt had for the blueliners. In the end, I was disappointed in his overall contribution. He racked up too many bad PIMs and was invisble in the playoffs. The Americans may not have known they were getting Fast when they acquired him or maybe they didn’t want him going somewhere (Everett? Seattle?) and were willing to pay more because of it. I’ll miss his big booming slapshot, but not much else.

#23 T.J. Fast, LD, 20 – 6’1” 190 lbs – 26 GP, 3 Goals, 22 Points, +4, 30 PIM
    ---- List Player ---- Wow. I was a bit concerned when he first came here as it looked like he was a little soft, but once he settled in he turned out to be a well rounded defenseman that did everything well. Its easy to see why he was a 2nd round selection of the Kings and I think they have a good potential NHLer. He has good patience with the puck and strong offensive skills. Despite the numbers game on defense, I think the club would have to make room for him as a 20-year-old next season. As a high draft pick he would be normally be gone, but the Kings may have some extra time to sign him since they drafted him out of college.

#24 Brock Cornish, RD, 18 – 5’10” 165 lbs – 31 GP, 3 Goals, 10 Points, -2, 41 PIM
    ---- List Player ---- With the numbers coming into this season, Cornish seemed like a longshot to make the team. An undrafted kid on the small side, Cornish just continued to impress session after session in training camp and then into the preseason. I really think he made the coaching staff find a spot for him. He has good offensive and skating skills, but also works extremely hard in the defensive zone. For his size, he really likes to finish his checks. Could use a little more strength if it didn’t hamper his footspeed.

#32 Juraj Valach, RD, 18 – 6’6” 210 lbs – 58 GP, 7 Goals, 30 Points, +11, 75 PIM
    ---- ’06 Import Draft 1st round ---- Deliberate, but very effective is how I would describe Valach. Not overly physical, but really uses his wide wingspan effectively. Skates well and should be a dominate defenseman next year. Reminds me a lot of Chris Pronger. If the coaching staff can get him to play more physical he could be the a top defenseman in the conference by the time he is 19.

--- Prospects ---
    Mitch McColm, 18 – 6’4” 195 lbs – Jr. A - 31 GP, 1 Goal, 4 Points, 75 PIM
    ---- Trade with Lethbridge, Jan ’07 ----
    James Cannon, 17 – 6’0” 170 lbs – Midget – 38 GP, 2 Goals, 15 Points, 75 PIM
    ---- ’05 Bantam Draft 9th round ----
    Thomas Carr, 17 – 6’0” 180 lbs – Jr. A – 52 GP, 1 Goal, 7 Assists, 32 PIM
    ---- List Player ----
    Lane Werbowski, 16 – 5’11” 155 lbs – Midget – 35 GP, 5 Goals, 27 Points, 48 PIM
    ---- ’06 Bantam Draft 6th round ----
    Jeff Weselake, 16 – 5’9” 170 lbs – Midget – 33 GP, 4 Goals, 11 Points, 68 PIM
    ---- ’06 Bantam Draft 10th round ----
    Richard Ursulak, 16 – 6’1” 170 lbs – Midget – 35 GP, 1 Goal, 7 Points, 66 PIM
    ---- ’06 Bantam Draft 13th round ----
    Jordan Krankowsky, 16 – 5’10” 170 lbs – Midget – 31 GP, 7 Goals, 18 Points, 50 PIM
    ---- ’06 Bantam Draft 13th round ----
    Jason Nash, 16 – 5’10” 155 lbs – Midget – 58 GP, 4 Goals, 22 Points, 98 PIM
    ---- ’06 US Draft 1st round ----

champ Guest

has any one seen any of these prospects?
    if so what do they look like? what looks to be the depth chart for them?
    and do you see any of the players who played last year being moved?

Default Mitch

If he does not make your club I will be shocked . Out of the potential d-man we had he impressed me the most. Is very strong and can deliver some shattering checks, and also will contribute with the odd goal from the point, he also has the foot speed to stay with quick forwards. I would love to have him back in Lethbridge