Thread: John Tavares

Post John Tavares

This kid is only 16 years old and has already scored 72 goals in one season,wow I hope the Leafs somehow get in a position to draft this kid(that would probably be early 1st round.)

My twitter handle: @SaskHockeyFan23

It nice to see someone finally breaking one of Gretzky's records! Him and Crosby are going to be giving Gretzky a run for his money.

Leafs fans... Remember the Leafs only sing Euro's in the first round... and JFJ's priorities are messed up seriously.

Default Heres a little write up

Courtesy Bill Lankhof Toronto Sun

Sat, March 31, 2007

The Oshawa Generals' John Tavares is growing up in the OHL, and the budding superstar's game is also blossoming
    By BILL LANKHOF

"Last year he was a kid; this year he's grown up."

So says Cal Clutterbuck of linemate John Tavares, the most ballyhooed, dissected, denigrated and celebrated player to hit hockey since Sidney Crosby's junior prom.

Sometimes it seems that in junior hockey the world revolves around Tavares. More than two years removed from his NHL draft day, he is compared to Wayne Gretzky and lionized as an Eric Lindros clone. Some days there are requests for 10 or more interviews. He tries to do them all.

This year he broke Gretzky's OHL record for goals by a 16-year old, scoring 72. Clutterbuck, a Minnesota draft pick, had 35 on one wing; Brett MacLean had 47 on the other.

"Honestly, when we're out there it's improvisational: Find a guy, give him the puck, get open yourself again. He's gifted and," Clutterbuck says, "I'm not going to be a points scorer when I play pro."

Tavares? Now, that should be a different story.

"His vision on the ice... I just shake my head," says coach/general manager Brad Sellwood. "When he was chasing Gretzky's record someone asked if he'd get his 70th. I said, '70th! We've got five games left, he might get 80.' "

Last week he scored five points, including four assists, to turn a 6-2 deficit into a 7-6 playoff win in Kingston. He has done a lot for the Generals. That the Generals are doing a lot for him is sometimes overlooked. They have allowed him to grow; with the painful lessons that entails on the ice and off.

"I think at first he was a bit shy. He comes across in interviews as soft-spoken and quiet," Sellwood says, "but he's got a great sense of humour. He's funny, lively. But he's learning a whole different lifestyle."

Critics say he has to be stronger, skate better and that he's a liability at the defensive end. And then you watch a game like Tuesday's against Kingston: He strips the puck from a player in the defensive zone and starts a rush; he's crashing the net and takes a glove to the face. On the power play he draws a slash and puts his team up by two men -- and that's in the first 98 seconds.

"I have to become a complete player. Some people feel I'm lazy in my own zone. People say I've got to improve my skating. In time I'll learn all these," Tavares says. "Brad tells me every day: 'We're going to make you a complete player and we're getting there one step at a time.' "

Tuesday: A Kingston player sneaks backdoor on Tavares, who winds up on his butt. The puck winds up in his net.

"Every day I'm going to get bigger," Tavares says, "every day I'm getting stronger. Hopefully I'll get faster. I'm only 16 and filling into my body."

Sometimes in this world of the manchild it's easy to forget that.

"He's matured big time over the last 12 to 16 months." Sellwood says. "There's a long list of kids who have to learn at this level. His family is in Oakville so it's not like he's gone across the world. But you're still not in your own bed with your mom's cooking. It's an adjustment."

Tavares billets in an Oshawa family home with team-mates Matt Seegmiller, Mike Del Zotto and Loic Lacasse. "When I first got here I was just really excited. I've definitely grown and learned what it's like to become an adult," says Tavares. MacLean has become one of his best friends. Clutterbuck looks after him on the ice.

"He needs a physical guy on one side if people take liberties and Cal is an abrasive guy," Sellwood says.

Tuesday: He takes the puck from a Kingston player on the defensive boards, starts the play up ice and MacLean has a tying goal.

"Ever since I've come to the league there's been some negativity," Tavares says. Things like similar big-time junior scorers who then vanished. But, he's no Rico Fata.

"He's so driven," Sellwood says. "Tell him he can't do something, he'll prove you wrong. It's a rare quality and makes me think he'll succeed at the next level. A lot of junior kids know they've got to do the work; very few will do it. John will do it."

It's called growing up. So, on the night he tied Gretzky's record, he got a standing ovation -- in Ottawa. When it was announced in Kingston, fans applauded as if he were one of their own. "It's like, 'Wow!' and I still have to take a step back when I think about it," Tavares says. "It's awesome ... hopefully I can accomplish what people expect of me."

If the rest of life turns out like the opening chapter, that shouldn't be a problem.
    # 8-9-11-22 ALWAYS REMEMBERED

Iconcup

Hey WHL Fans just a small note on Tavares form a set of different eyes.

He does posess all the tools with his ice vision and play reading being his strongest point but his size is coming along now too.

His point totals this year might have a small asterisk beside them asking Western Conference OHL fans here is why. He plays any of the teams over here once a year and honestly the 9th and 10th seeded teams would of made the playoff likely in the East.

Players putting up big numbers in The West are doing so amongst very good team 1 through 8. Pat Kane , Kostitsyn and Sam Gagner out of London have racked huge numbers in a far tougher Conference Kane and Gagner will both go this spring very early NHL pics.

Kane is sic good and maybe the top pic overall.

When Tavares plays Western Conference teams his number drop off a lot.

Simon in London.

Iconwhl

Quote Originally Posted by GBG BLEED BLUE
    This kid is only 16 years old and has already scored 72 goals in one season,wow I hope the Leafs somehow get in a position to draft this kid(that would probably be early 1st round.)
    He is going 1st overall, no questions asked.
    BLEED BLUE

1st overal??!?!? wow my Leafs'll be able to pick him up in a couple of years haha