Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Price signs with Habs

Default Price signs with Habs

price signed deal with habs should be announcd soon

Canadiens sign Price to three-year deal
    2005 first round pick to join AHL's Hamilton Bulldogs
    (04/10/2007)

Carey Price was the first goaltender selected in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft.

The Price of gold

Future Watch

Price is right for Canadiens

PRESS RELEASE

MONTREAL – Canadiens GM Bob Gainey announced Tuesday the signing of goaltender Carey Price to a three-year contract (2007-08, 2008-09, 2009-10). As per club policy, financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Price is joining the AHL'S Hamilton Bulldogs, who will complete their regular season with three games against Grand Rapids (April 11, 13, 14), and one game versus Rochester (April 15).

Price, 19, completed the 2006-07 season with a record of 30 wins, 13 losses and one overtime loss, a 2.45 goals against average, a .917 save percentage and three shutouts in 46 games with the Tri-City Americans in the Western Hockey League. His performances helped his team finish in second place in the U.S. Division of the Western Conference with 47 wins and 96 points, two franchise records.

In just over four full seasons in Tri-City, Price, a 6-foot-3, 212-pound goaltender, posted an overall record of 83 wins, 78 losses and 18 overtime losses in 193 games, a 2.53 goals against average and a .906 save percentage. He also recorded 15 shutouts.

On the international scene, Price led Canada to the gold medal at the 2007 World Junior Hockey Championships, in Sweden. Selected as the tournament’s Most Valuable Player and named to the All-Star Team, Price won each of his team’s six games, posted a 1.14 goals against average and a .961 save percentage. He also registered two shutouts.

Price, a native of Williams Lake, British Columbia, was the Canadiens’ 1st pick (1st round), 5th overall, in 2005.

Congrats to Carey. It's been a joy to watch him anchor the nets over the last 4 years here in TC. It will be a little weird not seeing No. 1 in the net next year.

Congrats to Carey!!! He'll do just fine and will go far in his career. It's been a blast watching him play. Yep, even from a Chiefs' fan.

I'd say congrats too, but it looks like that's been covered. Honestly I'm just glad he's gone! It seemed like he played in Tri-City for 10 years or so, and he still had another year of eligibility left. I'll be much happier watching him shutout the Sabres and Senators rather than the Chiefs.

Good luck Carey. Chiefs fans won't miss ya!

Quote Originally Posted by LifelongChiefsFan
    I'd say congrats too, but it looks like that's been covered. Honestly I'm just glad he's gone! It seemed like he played in Tri-City for 10 years or so, and he still had another year of eligibility left. I'll be much happier watching him shutout the Sabres and Senators rather than the Chiefs.

Good luck Carey. Chiefs fans won't miss ya!
    I guess we could all give Grabner the same well wishes...lol

Spokane Sin Bin Guest

Iconwhl

I enjoyed watching Price over the years. He'll make a fine goalie for the Habs.

Default Price signs with Montreal

http://www.sportstricities.com/sport...-8685730c.html
    This story was published Wednesday, April 11th, 2007

By Annie Fowler, Herald staff writer

Tri-City Americans star Carey Price added his name to the prestigious list of goaltenders to join the Montreal Canadiens organization on Tuesday when he signed a three-year contract with the NHL's oldest team.

As per club policy, financial terms of the deal were not disclosed, but the league maximum for rookies is $850,000 per season, with a signing bonus cap of a $255,000.

"I think it was a reasonable contract, and Carey is a reasonable guy," said Price's agent, Gerry Johannson, who was an assistant coach with Tri-Cities from 1988-91. "He was treated right with others drafted in his area. I think it's really good for Montreal to have him signed and good for Carey so he can play in Hamilton. It's always nice to move on to the next level."

Price, who won 30 games for the Americans during their record-setting season of 47 wins, was unavailable for comment Tuesday.

Several calls to the Canadiens office Tuesday afternoon were not returned.

Price, 19, officially signed his contract Monday at the home of his long-time billets Jill and Dennis Williams of Pasco. He boarded a plane Monday afternoon for Hamilton, Ontario.

The Americans' season ended with a first-round exit in the WHL playoffs.

Price joined the Canadiens' American Hockey League affiliate, the Hamilton Bulldogs, on Tuesday and practiced with the Bulldogs during their morning session.

Hamilton, third in the North Division of the AHL's Western Conference, complete their regular season this week before starting the Calder Cup playoffs.

The Bulldogs will be the fifth team Price has suited up for this season. He played the exhibition season with the Canadiens, played for the Americans, the Western Hockey League in the Canada-Russia Challenge, and backed Team Canada to a gold medal the World Junior Championships in January.

The No. 5 overall draft pick of the Canadiens in the 2005 NHL draft, Price played four season with the Tri-City Americans, posting a career record of 83-78-18 in 193 games, a 2.53 goals against average, a .906 save percentage and a franchise record 15 shutouts.

During his gold-medal run at the WJC, Price was selected as the tournament's Most Valuable Player and named to the All-Star Team.

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...1-b587f9ce4c56

Habs meet Carey's Price
    Williams Lake native signs first pro contract with Montreal Canadiens

Dave Stubbs, CanWest News Service
    Published: Saturday, April 14, 2007

MONTREAL -- Wearing jeans, a T-shirt and a little stubble on his jaw, Carey Price sat at a table in the home of Dennis and Jill Williams at lunchtime Monday and digested nine of the most boring, most thrilling pages he will ever read.

One signature later on his first professional contract, inked in the Pasco, Wash., home of the couple who billeted him his entire Western Hockey League career, Price was a member of the Montreal Canadiens organization.

"I read it all before I signed anything," Price said Thursday night from his hotel in Hamilton, Ont. on the eve of his pro debut with the American Hockey League's Bulldogs.

The 19-year-old from Williams Lake was in goal Friday night against the Grand Rapids Griffins, only three practices and less than four days since he'd arrived in Hamilton.

Bulldogs head coach Don Lever made the decision to start Price after Friday's morning skate, the club wanting him to see a little action before the AHL playoffs get underway.

The three-year Canadiens contract will pay Price $2,805,000 US -- $850,000 plus a 10-per-cent signing bonus, per year, for the three years of the pact -- plus a few unspecified bonuses. That's at the cap for rookies entering the post-lockout NHL.

Not that the sudden wealth burned a hole in his pocket.

"Two bottles of water at the airport on my way here," Price said of his first outlay as a professional athlete. "I'd like to buy a truck, but other than that, I don't have any real needs.

"I'm not the type to spend money just because I've got it."

Which, in fact, Price doesn't yet have. While his contract has been registered with the National Hockey League, it might take a couple weeks for the Canadiens to cut him his first cheque.

The Canadiens expect him to shine one day.

Price's season began last fall with the WHL's Tri-City Americans and continued with Canada's world junior training camp in Calgary in mid-December. He earned most valuable player honours in winning gold for his country in the holiday-time tournament in Sweden, then returned to Washington to lead the Americans into the playoffs.

A too-brief, single-round run there ended on March 31. Price's agent, Edmonton-based Gerry Johannson, agreed to a contract with the Canadiens by phone after a week's discussion and faxed the document Monday to the goalie in Washington. That afternoon, Price boarded a flight in Pasco for Denver and Toronto, and was met by a limousine for the final leg to Hamilton.

He practised Tuesday and Wednesday, meeting with his equipment supplier to arrange for new gear in Bulldogs (and Canadiens) colours, and on Thursday worked out with Roland Melanson, the Canadiens goaltending coach.

Agent Johannson has been with Price since early in the goalie's junior career. A former defenceman, he was the Canadiens' ninth pick (95th overall) in the 1984 draft, though he never played an NHL game.

"My next call is to Julien [BriseBois, the Canadiens vice-president of hockey operations] to tell him I'm tired of re-entering the draft and am ready to make a deal," Johannson joked.

"I probably had a better chance of that before we signed Carey. I once saw a Canadiens scout and said, 'I'm still holding out,' and he said, 'So are we.' "

Johannson spoke to BriseBois about Price back in the fall "when the Canadiens threw up a flare. They waited until now to sign Carey, which was okay. I don't think it was ever in doubt that they were going to sign him, it was just a matter of timing.

"It would have been silly not to get a deal done between a guy who wants to be there and a team that wants the player.

"For a Canadian kid to be drafted by the Canadiens, and then have a chance to make it? That's exciting. Carey has the right personality, he's type of kid who could step in. He's got the background [Price's father, Jerry, was a professional goalie who was a 1978 Philadelphia Flyers draft choice].

"His family are mellow, down-to-earth people, and Carey takes that to the extreme. I've never seen him ruffled. Montreal is a hockey town in the best sense of the word. It's a really good fit."

© The Vancouver Sun 2007

Default Carey's 1st shutout

‘DOGS SHUTOUT AMERKS IN GAME 1
    http://www.hamiltonbulldogs.com/inde...isplay&nid=552

Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 10:20PM

HAMILTON 2 ROCHESTER 0

ROCHESTER, NY – Carey Price stopped all of the 34 shots he faced to lead the Hamilton Bulldogs to a 2-0 triumph over the Rochester Americans in Game 1 of their first-round playoff series on Thursday night at Blue Cross Arena. The Bulldogs now lead the best-of-seven North Division Semi-final series 1-0.

After a scoreless first period, Zack Stortini gave Hamilton a 1-0 lead at 3:34 of the middle stanza. Matt D’Agostini drove Rochester’s net, creating a crowd in front of goaltender Craig Anderson, and Stortini banged home his first goal of the playoffs. Ryan O’Byrne also earned an assist on the series’ opening goal.

With only nine seconds remaining in the third period, Ajay Baines set up Maxim Lapierre for an empty-net insurance marker to seal the victory for the Bulldogs. Duncan Milroy earned the second assist on the goal.

Carey Price’s 34-save shutout was the first of his American Hockey League career as he earned first-star honours in the game for the Bulldogs. Craig Anderson was also near perfect, stopping 28 of 29 shots in a losing effort for the Americans.

Neither team could muster a goal on special teams as Hamilton was 0-for-1 on the power play and Rochester went 0-for-4 with the man advantage.

The win snaps the Bulldogs nine-game losing streak to the Americans in the playoffs and marks the first time the ‘Dogs have won the opening game of the series when facing the Amerks in the Calder Cup Playoffs. In four previous post-season match-ups, Rochester won in six games twice (1999, 2000), and also swept Hamilton in four games twice (2004, 2005).

The ‘Dogs and Amerks return to action on Saturday, April 21st at Blue Cross Arena in Game 2 of the series at 8:05 p.m. Fans can listen to the game on the flagship station of the Hamilton Bulldogs Hockey Network, 820 CHAM “The Legend,” beginning with the Park's Furniture Pre-Game Show at 7:35 p.m. Fans can also listen or watch at www.hamiltonbulldogs.com by clicking on the ‘B2 Networks’ or ‘820 CHAM’ icon on the ‘Dogs website.

Bulldogs playoff tickets are on sale now for game’s three and four of their North Division Semi-final series at the Copps Coliseum Box Office, all other Ticket Master Outlets, online at www.ticketmaster.ca, or through charge by phone at 905-527-7666. For Season Ticket Holders, the first game will be Round 1, Home Game A.

Scoring Summary:

1st Period:
    (no scoring)

2nd Period:
    1. HAM – Zack Stortini-1 (Matt D’Agostini, Ryan O’Byrne) – 3:34

3rd Period:
    2. HAM – Maxim Lapierre-1 (Ajay Baines, Duncan Milroy) – 19:51 (en)

Scoring:
    Hamilton: 0-1-1--2
    Rochester: 0-0-0--0

Shots:
    Hamilton: 11-12-7--30
    Rochester: 10-11-13--34

Goaltending:
    Hamilton: Carey Price (34 shots, 34 saves)
    Rochester: Craig Anderson (29 shots, 28 saves)

Power Play:
    Hamilton: 0-for-1
    Rochester: 0-for-4

Attendance: 2,536

Three Stars:
    1. HAM – Carey Price
    2. ROC – Craig Anderson
    3. HAM – Zack Stortini

Pearson Dunn Player of the Game: Carey Price