138:06 minutes of hockey in game 1, yikes
    Vancouver Giants

05/06 BC Division & Western Conference Regular Season Champions

05/06 Western Conference Playoff Champions
    05/06 WHL Playoff Champions

06/07 BC Division Champions
    06/07 Western Conference Playoff Champions

2007 MEMORIAL CUP CHAMPIONS!!!!!

So glad we won that one! Now I can go to sleep and get ready for game 2. Got tickets. punk rock

http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpo...7-ffd025ee5da3

Hrudey compares marathons

Jim Matheson, CanWest News Service; Edmonton Journal
    Published: Friday, April 13, 2007
    EDMONTON -- The 20th anniversary of Kelly Hrudey's Greatest Stand, when the New York Islander goalie made a staggering 73 playoff saves in a four-period overtime marathon with the Washington Capitals, is next week.

But Hrudey, who was in Vancouver Wednesday night as a commentator on Hockey Night in Canada, must have had a sense of deja vu watching goalie Roberto Luongo.

The Canucks' goalie actually faced one more shot in Vancouver's dramatic 5-4 marathon win over Dallas than Hrudey did (76 to 75) on April 18, 1987. And Eddie Belfour (April 16, 2003 in a Leafs loss to the Flyers) also had 75 shots. But Hrudey -- who played 68:42 of overtime and who finally got to raise his arms after Pat LaFontaine scored on Caps goalie Bob Mason -- still has the NHL record for most saves in a Stanley Cup playoff game. Luongo and Belfour are one back at 72.

"It never occurred to me too much exactly how many shots (and saves) Roberto was getting but I thought he was in the ball park," said Hrudey.

"It's inevitable that somebody is going to beat me because the goalies are so much better now and I personally think you're going to see a six or seven overtime period in a playoff game. The games are more wide-open but the goalies are so good ... I know games like this wear you down and mental fatigue gets the best of you but , at some point, we are going to see six overtimes or seven. A goalie is going to make 80 or 90 saves one night."

Hrudey says he knew exactly how many shots he'd had, back in that 1987 contest of wills that started on a Saturday and morphed into Easter Sunday morning. "Yeah, I was a clock watcher of all sorts. I wanted to know what time it was in the game and how many shots both teams had, all that stuff," he said. "Back then I didn't know what the NHL record was for shots (or saves) though. I never got the feeling I was being pelted. I think I had 36 after regulation, and was only averaging 10 shots a period in the overtime. It wasn't overwhelming."

But, any time you play more than two full games in one night, you're still plumb tuckered.

Luongo, who played all but 480 minutes of the Canucks regular-season minutes, is a horse. But he admitted he was running on fumes as the game dragged on and on for five hours and 21 minutes, the sixth longest in NHL history.

"Most exhausted I've ever been. It was challenging physically and mentally," said Luongo, of his coming-out party as an NHL playoff goalie. He'd never been in one before and it turned out to be one for the ages.

Hrudey remarked on how differently goalies play today. "In our day, goalies didn't go down down (to make saves) very often. We stood up as much as we could. I was thinking of that with Roberto and all of today's goalies, really, how they expend so much more energy with the style (butterfly) they play. That sort of activity has to wear you down," said Hrudey.

But, 2007 isn't 1987 when it comes to helping goalies survive a marathon. "Back in my day, if you can believe it, there were no water bottles on top of the nets. I'm surprised somebody didn't have a medical problem because of that. The only time to rehydrate was in the dressing room, at the intermissions," said Hrudey.

Hrudey remembers going to the locker-room after the game finally ended and, struggling to get out of his sopping-wet gear, wound up looking at his feet . "My toes automatically curled right under when I took my skates off because of the dehydration. My toes just cramped up on me," he said.

Today's goalies have lighter pads and maybe Luongo was able to change his sweater, but not Hrudey.

"I only wore the one jersey. It was brutal (so heavy with water), but we didn't know any different in that era. The pads were made of different materials than today's too (a lot heavier), and they absorbed about nine billion pounds of water over the course of a game," said Hrudey.

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...b-d0f80d69ba03

Tube boob

Canadian Press
    Published: Friday, April 13, 2007
    NEW YORK -- Some U.S. hockey fans found themselves watching an infomercial instead of the finale of the marathon NHL playoff game in Vancouver that ran into Thursday morning.

Versus, which carries the bulk of NHL games in the U.S., said it was looking into what happened to the Dallas-Vancouver game in some regions.

"Versus has received reports that last night's Dallas/Vancouver game was switched to an infomercial in the fourth overtime," the network said in a statement. "We are obviously very disappointed to hear that some fans in a few select markets have reported that they did not see the end of this great game.

"The game did run in its entirety on the Versus network feed, but based on the information we have received we are currently working with our affiliates in the affected markets to find out what caused the problem."

© The Vancouver Sun 2007