Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: In the eyes of cougar fans

Thumbs up Good Move

I certainly don't think anyone could argue that the Seto trade was a bad one. Look where the team got in the play-offs! It was on his back and Cyr's back. Financially speaking, a good move by the PG management. He could come back next year too. No guarantee he cracks an already powerful Shark squad. If he's just going to be a fourth liner, why not come back to PG?

Quote Originally Posted by WestLEAFfan
    I certainly don't think anyone could argue that the Seto trade was a bad one. Look where the team got in the play-offs! It was on his back and Cyr's back. Financially speaking, a good move by the PG management. He could come back next year too. No guarantee he cracks an already powerful Shark squad. If he's just going to be a fourth liner, why not come back to PG?
    As a 20yr old he could play in the AHL too...........time will tell though.
    Vancouver Giants

05/06 BC Division & Western Conference Regular Season Champions

05/06 Western Conference Playoff Champions
    05/06 WHL Playoff Champions

06/07 BC Division Champions
    06/07 Western Conference Playoff Champions

2007 MEMORIAL CUP CHAMPIONS!!!!!

Interesting question. IMHO, it was a worthwhile move for a number of reasons:

- He most certainly did assist the Cougars (and their fans) in achieving one of the pre-season goals, which was a lengthy playoff run. Banner or not, nobody in their right mind could argue that making the final four did not meet this goal. It would also be very difficult to argue that he did not play a substantial role in prolonging that playoff run.
    - Playing such a key role in that playoff run had a substantial impact on the bottomline of the franchise. We averaged around 5,400 fans for the playoff games, which likely injected at least a half a million dollars of gross income into the coffers of the franchise. Brodsky indicated that because of the playoff run, the team turned a profit this year as opposed to the losses of previous years. I fully know that the discussion of profitablilty is wide open for debate, however, the additional revenue brought in by the run cannot be denied.
    - The playoff run was simply exciting and it brought Cougar hockey back "on the map" in PG, even if only for a few weeks. It's up to Cougar management to now take advantage of that energy and sustain it for next year, however, that opportunity does exist.
    - The attendance figures during the playoffs should have given a loud and clear message to both Brodsky and the league that PG is indeed a viable WHL market and that the customers are there if the product is.
    - It demonstrated to the fans of PG that the organization was willing to take a chance to win RIGHT NOW, which is something that they have historically been criticized for and rightly so.

If they can capitalize on what occured this season, this is a no-brainer . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar Guy
    Interesting question. IMHO, it was a worthwhile move for a number of reasons:

- He most certainly did assist the Cougars (and their fans) in achieving one of the pre-season goals, which was a lengthy playoff run. Banner or not, nobody in their right mind could argue that making the final four did not meet this goal. It would also be very difficult to argue that he did not play a substantial role in prolonging that playoff run.
    - Playing such a key role in that playoff run had a substantial impact on the bottomline of the franchise. We averaged around 5,400 fans for the playoff games, which likely injected at least a half a million dollars of gross income into the coffers of the franchise. Brodsky indicated that because of the playoff run, the team turned a profit this year as opposed to the losses of previous years. I fully know that the discussion of profitablilty is wide open for debate, however, the additional revenue brought in by the run cannot be denied.
    - The playoff run was simply exciting and it brought Cougar hockey back "on the map" in PG, even if only for a few weeks. It's up to Cougar management to now take advantage of that energy and sustain it for next year, however, that opportunity does exist.
    - The attendance figures during the playoffs should have given a loud and clear message to both Brodsky and the league that PG is indeed a viable WHL market and that the customers are there if the product is.
    - It demonstrated to the fans of PG that the organization was willing to take a chance to win RIGHT NOW, which is something that they have historically been criticized for and rightly so.

If they can capitalize on what occured this season, this is a no-brainer . . .
    Cougar Guy: If you read my reply to this post you just affirmed my comments that it was a bad deal for the Cougs accept for the PG brass pocket books. The Cougs now,, will not have a new 1st rounder in their line up until probably 2009 (other that a 5 game call up for the 2008 pic..if they don't trade that away..lol)
    I just think that unless it's the final key to your puzzle to capture the Mem Cup you hang onto your 1st pick.. PG gave up 2!

Quote Originally Posted by GBG BLEED BLUE
    I think he has a decent shot at making the Sharks,but if not he will be in the AHL forsure,and I would be shocked if he was a Cougar again for his overage season. I would hope not,but if he was I would get to see him play again(which would be fun.)
    That would be a really big shocker if he didnt make it to the NHL with San Jose, or even to the AHL...But it would be AWESOME if he came back to PG........
    PG and Habs Fan!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Swando
    I just think that unless it's the final key to your puzzle to capture the Mem Cup you hang onto your 1st pick.. PG gave up 2!
    I think the thing that you are not factoring in is that another early playoff exit (especially after this team was expected to make a run this year) may have been the proverbial dagger in the heart for this franchise in PG.

It really was to the point where the people of PG would have had an all out revolt againt the franchise if the management group didn't demonstrate that they were serious about winning when it had a chance. This was a critical year for the franchise and looking at the lineup we had when we acquired Seto, one could legitimately say that we did have a shot at a banner this year. Although it didn't work out, you can't fault the attempt.

The real test will be to see how and if management can build off of what was accomplished during the playoff run. If they learn from their past mistakes (and I'm certainly not counting the chickens before they hatch in those regards), this could be the catalyst to turn this ship around for the better. That benefits the franchise, the fans and ultimately the league.

Icon34 Show Your Support!

Ultimately, it's the fans of PG that need to step up. Win or lose, there needs to be a committment from the fans. It's evident the COUGS fans care, but can they carry it over to next year's regular season. The Cougars will ice a competetive team next year from the crease out. Get out and support your team PG. I'd love to be able to purchase season tickets and attend games at the CN center! pbj

Westleafsfan, if u wanna buy some season tickets, than why dont you buy some, ill go on the trips with u!!!!!!!!!
    PG and Habs Fan!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by habsfan12
    Westleafsfan, if u wanna buy some season tickets, than why dont you buy some, ill go on the trips with u!!!!!!!!!

Interesting thought HABBER! Whose vehicle? haha

Or you two could cut down the travel costs and buy Season Tickets for the Saskatoon Blades. Also watch Stefan Elliott(although you might not want too since he did not want to play in Prince George) either way make life easier on yourselves and become a Saskatoon Blades Season Ticket Holder like me. haha

My twitter handle: @SaskHockeyFan23