Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 2007 Bantam Draft Discussion (everything related goes here)

http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstarp...8-29197736fcfe

Blades' top choice all spit and grit

Cory Wolfe, The StarPhoenix
    Published: Friday, May 04, 2007
    The future face of the Saskatoon Blades comes with a sneer.

The Blades picked Charles Inglis, a 5-foot-10 centre from Winnipeg, fourth overall in Thursday's Western Hockey League bantam draft.

"I'm determined and I'll do whatever it takes to win," Inglis said on the phone. "My grit comes from the fact that I hate losing. I can't stand it. I'm not a losing kind of person. Losing makes me angry."

That's music to the ears of Blades coach-general manager Lorne Molleken, who has placed a premium on competitiveness. He's been trying to put a surlier face on the franchise since returning to Saskatoon in 2004.

"To us, he's the total package," Molleken said of Inglis. "He skates, he hits and he can score. We're real pleased to have him on our side."

The Blades spent their first four picks on forwards. After Inglis, they selected centre Josh Nicholls from Delta, B.C., homegrown winger Braeden Johnson of the Saskatoon Maniacs and winger Brett Hebel from Warroad, Minn.

"Saskatoon is where I most wanted to go and I'm lucky to get to go there," said Inglis, who isn't eligible to play full-time in the WHL until the 2008-09 season.

Inglis led the host Winnipeg Sharks to a silver finish at the Western Canadian bantam championship last month. He earned MVP honours with 12 points in four games.

"He basically took his team on his shoulders and away he went," said Molleken. "People out there compare him to a Jarome Iginla or a Wendel Clark as a young guy. He's that type of player. He plays the game with an edge and he's a very difficult guy to play against."

Inglis collected 18 goals and 16 assists during 28 regular-season games with the Sharks. His competitive streak extends to academics where maintains an 84 per cent average -- including 98 in math.

Inglis's father, James, had a stint with the Blades in the early 1970s. Although James Inglis never saw game action, he was part of Jack McLeod's stable for a time and later played in Europe.

The Blades used their second-round pick, 27th overall, to select Nicholls. He helped an underdog South Delta team qualify for the B.C. bantam AAA championship.

"He's got great vision and a great compete level, plus he's one of the best skaters in the draft," said Molleken.

In 72 bantam games, Nicholls registered 123 points -- 51 goals -- plus 174 penalty minutes.

"I'm very excited because (the Blades) have a great young roster coming up in the next couple of years and a lot of good prospects," said Nicholls.

Through trades, the Blades have stockpiled a lucrative slate of draft picks. They'll select twice in both the first and second rounds next season.

"It's unbelievable to be part of this because they're building a great team," said Johnson, the Blades' fourth-round pick, 71st overall. "They started a few years back and in a few years, we'll have a fantastic team. Hopefully we have a good run."

Johnson described being drafted by his home team as "picture-perfect." The speedy winger intends to play midget with the Saskatoon Blazers next season.

The Blades picked two other local products: winger Jesse Mychan and defenceman Brendon Wall. Mychan played bodyguard and also showed a scoring touch with the Saskatoon Stallions.

"I like getting guys mad at me and rattling the other team," said Mychan, who learned the finer points of trash talking from his cousin, Blades assistant coach David Struch.

Wall, a 17-year-old defender, was originally drafted by the Everett Silvertips in 2005.

"We really liked him as a bantam player and he played extremely well in Beardy's this year," said Molleken.

cwolfe@sp.canwest.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shortys
    Brett Hebel.... Interesting, we havn't had an american player for a while if I am not mistaken. Nice to see more and more Saskatchewan players on the list for us, it makes the team much better to watch and get into for me with more home province players! Should be a great camp to watch!
    minnesotan aaron bader was the last u.s. player for the blades, hebel is from the same state don't know if there is anymore connection there or not.

texan ben van lare was also a recent blade, i think he played in the ushl this past season.