Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 2007 Bantam Draft Thread

Don't thank me... like I said they are from Alan Caldwell (via anothe "board"). It was my pleasure posting them.

Thanks for posting!!
    GO ICE GO !!!

Thanks Kevin: Now that is what I call a post!! Great job. Die hard WHLer

huge cudos to nivek wahs. can't imagine getting this info anywhere else. very appreciated.

Thanks for saving all of us to have to go digging for some of this info.

It's nice to be able to see what each other's teams prospects did this past season and so on.

Hoegythegoalie3 Guest

how do u get scouted/ ranked and stuff in the bantam draft?
    im a '93 so next years my year and i was wonderin how i could get found
    btw im a goalie

Quote Originally Posted by Hoegythegoalie3
    how do u get scouted/ ranked and stuff in the bantam draft?
    im a '93 so next years my year and i was wonderin how i could get found
    btw im a goalie
    Here's a bit about it from the WHL site. But, basically, each WHL team has a network of scouts whose job is to beat the bushes looking for future prospects.
    I'd say that almost any 13 or 14 year old in Western Canada that has the potential to play at the WHL level when he is 16 or 17 would already be playing and performing well at the highest level for his age group, most often AAA, and all the teams in his league have been watched very closely for a couple of years at least.
    No doubt some good ones slip through the cracks, but generally speaking, if you've got it, they'll find you.

About the Bantam Draft
    Created: Aug 9, 2002
    The bantam draft allows for the orderly transfer of players to WHL Protected Player Lists (PPL) from the bantam ranks (14-15 year-olds).

A number of years ago, WHL teams were allowed to list first-year bantam players as of a set date in September. However, first-year bantams had been playing at the peewee level the previous year, and in order to list first-year bantams, WHL teams needed to scout the peewee ranks. This had many drawbacks including the need for extensive scouting systems along with the related expense, as well the added pressure on peewee-aged players (12-13 year-olds).

In order to get away from scouting peewees, the WHL instituted a bantam draft. WHL teams send scouts to watch first-year bantams from the start of the minor hockey season. After the season, the WHL holds a draft specifically to allow teams to add bantam players in an orderly manner to their protected lists. While this draft is the first opportunity for teams to select bantam players, it is not the last chance for a player to be listed. After the draft is completed, all the remaining bantams become eligible to be listed by teams, and many will be added as spots become available on team's PPLs, or as a player's talents improve or are more noticeable at a later date or at a higher level of hockey.

During the bantam draft (typically held in early May), players from the four Western Provinces and the states of Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Kansas, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Washington and Wyoming are eligible to be selected.