Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vancouver & Rockets Fit To Be Tied

Kassian Guest

Default Vancouver & Rockets Fit To Be Tied

The Vancouver Giants turned in one of their best defensive efforts of the season, skating to a 1-1 tie with the Kelowna Rockets. Leading 1-0 twelve minutes into the third period, only a bit of bad luck led to the saw-off. Needless to say, 9694 fans got full value for their tickets in this playoff-style affair.

Star centre Gilbert Brule scored the Giants lone tally at 10:42 of the middle frame while on a powerplay. The sniper potted his 36 th of the season when he snapped a shot past Kelowna goalie Derek Yeomans from the top of the faceoff circle to the netminder's right. Tyler Spurgeon was the recipient of a turnover caused by Justin Keller on the Rockets' only goal.

Giants goalie Marek Schwarz sparkled, making 29 stops, nearly double that of Yeomans, who faced just 16 Vancouver shots on goal.

After a disappointing 4-2 loss to Portland on Friday the Giants came back with a grittier effort against Kelowna .

“We played hard and we played physical and we did a lot of good things that we can build on,” Giants' bench boss Don Hay said. “We rebounded well from last night's effort and a definite positive (step). It was almost like the 2-1 game that we lost (to Kelowna on January 29 th ) – it was another solid effort.”

Giants' blueliners tightened the screws, especially around Schwarz. They held the Rockets mostly in check after giving up 12 shots in the first period, 10 in the second and just one in overtime.

“We were a lot better defensively tonight than we were last night,” Hay said. “There wasn't any nervousness in our game. We were real solid and in the third period they only got seven shots. We played well enough to give ourselves a shot to win.”

Team captain Triston Grant praised rookie Keith Voytechek, who took Adam Courchaine's spot on the second line tonight. The Giants' all-time leading scorer and assist leader this year sat out his first game of 2004/05 due to illness. The 20-year-old broke out in hives after experiencing a bad reaction to some medication for pink eye.

"We responded really well from last night,” Grant said, echoing his coach's sentiments. “We played solid physically for 40 minutes and one mistake at in the third cost us. Surprise, surprise, they capitalized which is the story it's seemed to be lately. We're happy, but we're not really too satisfied with the tie.”

Despite the shots on goal disparity, the Giants essentially carried the play, frustrating the Rockets at every turn. Brule's powerplay marker came as the result of Kelowna players losing their cool in a tightly played affair.

“It was a very intense game,” Hay said, possibly looking toward the playoffs. “The intensity (level) was high and everyone competed hard.”

Vancouver heads to Kamloops for a Sunday evening game then rests until next weekend when they play a double-header in Prince George on Friday and Saturday.

Kassian Guest

The Giants definitely played better tonight. Especially Schwarz. I was proud of him tonight. Strong comeback game after such a poor game on friday night against Portland.

However...

The Giants nearly blew the game in the 3rd period and in OT. You could definitely see the real Giants team then.

If only they could actually play like they did in the 1st and 2nd period. If they could do that consistantly, they could be a contender...

Or if Cunning could find the back of the net
    Giants supporter since Day One

Kassian Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy
    Or if Cunning could find the back of the net
    How many empty nets does he have to miss before he finally gets one?

Sounds like we need to start a pool
    Giants supporter since Day One

Kassian Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy
    Sounds like we need to start a pool
    I know.

We almost started a pool in my section on when Schwarz would give up the first weak goal. But unfortunately he played pretty good tonight, LOL.

But seriously. Cunning has had so many empty nets in the past few games and he hasn't been able to score on any of them. It is getting quite ridiculous...

Looks like this sets up an interesting situation for three in a row against the Cougs. You could say these are two teams with different motivations right now. Vancouver is playing for consistancy and wins going into the playoffs, while the Cats are playing for consistancy and their playoff lives. The Giants have no chance of catching the Ice or Rockets, while Kamloops and PG can't catch them. I guess we have to wait and see who the more motivated club is come friday now.
    I understand this is a rebuilding year, but come on boys!!

Angry Just a little rant

Too many errors on defence..Fisty looked great..but still a little rusty. Seems to me that the team need some leadership back there, maybe it will come in the playoffs. I am also thinking its our size, we were outplayed and outhit in our own end, couldn't get the puck out...big breakdowns at times. I just can't understand why Brule is the one making the highlight body checks and no protection from the big boys!! He won't have much left if we make a run for it..I M.O. And Swartz...never mind, I said enough. Comments?
    He Shoots... He Scores!!

Congratulations on the tie last night and stealing a point from the Rockets. all the Ice fans were cheering for you, how many more games do you have against the Rockets?

Quote Originally Posted by Chipper
    Congratulations on the tie last night and stealing a point from the Rockets. all the Ice fans were cheering for you, how many more games do you have against the Rockets?
    I belive 2 ..18th and 19Th home & home..probably more to come!!
    He Shoots... He Scores!!