Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Coach and ass. coach?

Default Q & A with Broncos new Ass't Coach

Keen's Korner

Friday, July 20, 2007
    Q and A with Tim Kehler - New Broncos Assistant Coach

JK: The Broncos were looking for a reliable guy who could take over the team with Dean (Chynoweth) away for General Manager duties at points during the season. Tell me what kind of a coach you are, what are your strengths?

TK: I think my greatest strength is probably my communication ability and ability to relate to the players and really get the best out of each guy. My career has shown whether in a head coaching or assistant role I've been able to get the best out of the players and that's something I'm probably most proud of and the biggest asset I bring to the table.

JK: You really are a good story as to how you've progressed through the coaching ranks - the resume is quite extensive. Has this been your goal to get to the WHL level and perhaps be a head coach at some point?

TK: It certainly has, it's been an ambition for some time, ever since the end of my playing days. Certainly as the resume shows I haven't skipped too many rungs on the ladder, progressing right through minor hockey, junior "B" and junior "A" levels and now into the Western Hockey League. It's a really exciting achievement and something I can't wait to get going on.

JK: Dave Hunchak was a popular coach in Swift Current who worked extensively on video and has been a part of Hockey Canada, do you see this as big shoes to fill or just try to be your own coach?

TK: That's what made this as attractive as any other opportunity out there. I think at the developmental level you're not only preparing players for the next level and bigger roles but coaches as well. I think it's a real testament to the program (in Swift Current) that an assistant coach can develop to the level to be a head coach in the WHL. Certainly Dave did a good job, and did a great job in the SJHL before he got to Swift Current and I'm hoping for similar type progress and successes.

JK: I'm sure you're no stranger to hard work being the Head Coach and General Manager of a junior "A" hockey team (Trail). This position does demand a lot being it's only a two man crew compared to other teams in the league who have a third, maybe a fourth (coach). Are you prepared to dedicate your entire winter to this hockey club?

TK: Absolutely, I think you find out early on as a coach the hours are a lot different than what they were as a player. You need to be able to put the time in and fortunately it's something I love doing and am passionate about and it's never seemed like work. So, putting in the hours has never been a problem.

JK: Are you prepared to come into the "hockey fishbowl" that Swift Current can be? Everywhere you go people are talking Broncos hockey.... is this something you've become accustom too?

TK: I come from a big hockey tradition with the Trail Smoke Eaters organization and the town is pretty knowledgeable in the game. I think as far as high expectations, managing those expectations and dealing quite closely with a very, very passionate public I've probably had pretty good experience in that regard over the last three seasons. I love being in hockey towns where hockey is the #1 item and I think that makes it fun for the players and staff as well and I can't wait to get there.
    ------------
    I have to say I'm impressed... and if first impressions count for anything he's definitely left a mark. He's great interview too, which will come in handy for the next 72 Great Western Rail Coaches Shows on the Eagle 94.1 FM.
    He looks to be a hungry, young coach much like Dave Hunchak was/is when he arrived on the scene. Good hire.
    Good luck to Tim as he prepares to make the move to Swifty!
    Jon
    # 8-9-11-22 ALWAYS REMEMBERED

Welcome to the Bronco organization Tim and all the best.
    "Good timber doesn't grow with ease the stronger the wind the stronger the tree"

Default Welcome!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Broncs in RD
    Welcome to the Bronco organization Tim and all the best.
    And I second that!

Welcome to our lovely city, where life makes sense, and where 90% of the time, there's only one subject talked about around the coffee tables. BRONCOS' HOCKEY!! Renovated rink, new atmosphere, new beginning, and a new era. We can't wait!

LET'S GO SWIFTY!!!
    GO BRONCOS GO!!!