Thread: 10 Reasons to get excited about Bronco hockey

Default 10 Reasons to get excited about Bronco hockey

Keen's Korner

Wednesday, July 25, 2007
    10 Reasons To Get Excited for Broncos Hockey (part one)

Everybody is talking about Stanley Cup Day in the southwest as Travis Moen brings the cup home to Stewart Valley today.

The Eagle 94.1 FM and CKSW 570 will live on location for this afternoon's festivities from noon-4pm.

Later tonight is when it really gets going... there's a function for family and friends at Kabos... that will be interesting to say the least.

See you out in the Valley this afternoon...

------------------------------------------

Ok, here it is, 10 reasons to get excited about the upcoming Broncos season. With training camp less than a month away, I thought I'd build some hype for what should be a fun season ahead. A good mix of veterans mixed in with some saucy new rookies should bring some flare to the ice this winter.

In no particular order here they are.....

Levi Nelson

Levi will be the Broncos offensive leader this season. His experience at the end of last year in the AHL with the Providence Bruins should bode well towards a strong start.

Levi has the flash to be an elite player in this league and started to really show signs in last year's playoffs. He should be a point a game guy for this team and has proven his durability.

Another Boston Bruins training camp should build even more confidence for the Calgary native.

Expect big things from Levi... I sure am.

Ryan Molle

The sky is the limit for this 2nd year Bronco d-man.

After being drafted by the New Jersey Devils in the 7th round back in June, Molle should come in a different player.

He showed signs of what he's capable of late in the season. His playoff goal against the Pats displayed his big shot from the back end. I like the way he competes, his skating and he's shown he can handle himself when the gloves come off.

Ryan Molle's upside is unknown. Here's hoping for a big season from Molls.

Cody Eakin

It will be fun watching Eakin develop this season into what the Broncos project - a skilled, speedy, responsible point producer.

The 1st round bantam pick from '06 had a cup of coffee with the team last year as a 15 year old and didn't look out of place.

He impressed at last year's training camp and is coming off a big season with the Winnipeg Wild "AAA" midget in which he collected 29 goals, 34 assists for 63 points in just 39 games - all as a first year midget player.

It will be a treat to watch Eakin as a Bronco the next four to five seasons.

Brad Hoban

Look for 16 year old Brad Hoban to turn some heads this season big time!

Last year with the Juan De Fuca Grizzlies "AAA" bantam, Hoban was a standout. He was one of the best B.C. bantam players last season and just kept getting better and better as the season progressed. He was named the Tournament MVP of the prestigiuos KIBIHT Cup (4-18-22) and lead the tourney in scoring.

He also played a couple games as a Bronco last season and impressed the coaching staff. Mark down Brad Hoban on your training camp roster and take a good look at the future.

Eric Doyle

This is a huge year for 18 year-old defenseman Eric Doyle.

After being passed over at the NHL draft, Doyle has received a free agent tryout with the Dallas Stars.

Doyle still reminds me of Aaron Rome at times and if he puts it all together this season offensively and defensively, Doyle will be a leader on the blueline.

I'm excited for Doyle to prove 30 NHL teams wrong who passed on him at the draft in Columbus.

Expect big things from #2.

Ok that's part one.... five more reasons later this week coming up in part two.
    # 8-9-11-22 ALWAYS REMEMBERED

...And here i thought i was the only one jacked to see Hoban this fall.

Swift defeniatly has the talent this year, and i think if you ask the coaches in the Eastern conf. they will tell you that Swift could be scary this year. The guys just have to put it all together on the ice.

Default 10 reasons to get excited part 2

Keen's Korner

Thursday, July 26, 2007
    10 Reasons To Get Excited (Part two)

The last post rattled off five good reasons to be excited about Broncos hockey this season, here's five more:

Zack Smith will be a go-to guy this season as one of the leaders on the team.

Used predominately in a checking role, The 19 year-old from Maple Creek should see an increased role on the offensive side this season.

Smith had ok numbers last season (16-15-31), but a lot of people believe he can be a 30 goal man in this league.

He will wear a letter again and will get some great experience when he takes to the ice at Vancouver Canucks camp after securing a free agent tryout. He's working hard this summer and should come in ready to be an impact guy.

Dale Wiese

All things considered, Dale Wiese should shoulder much of the offensive load this season for the hockey club.

The 19 year old has the abilities to be a dominant power forward in the Western Hockey League.

Last year's numbers of 18-25-43 should be a mere shadow of what he could capably do in the months ahead.

Look for Dale to come in confident and ready to go. I hope he's worked hard this summer and realizes his potential.

Geordie Wudrick

This is a big year for the 17 year-old forward. I sometimes forget he's only coming into his 17 year-old season just based on the predominate role he's been given.

After joining the Broncos as a 15 year-old for the tail end of the regular season and playoffs, Wudrick played in 67 games last season as a rookie collecting 13 goals and 11 assists.

Every time I see this guy he's getting bigger. I saw him down at the gym about a month ago and couldn't believe it.

It's his draft year and I just hope he doesn't put too much pressure on himself to perform.

Geordie Wudrick will be another great reason to get exited about Broncos Hockey.

Justin Dowling

The 17 year-old Dowling comes into this season as last year's top scorer in the "AAA" Alberta midget hockey league. He collected 23 goals and 38 assists for 61 points for the UFA Bisons. He also played in a trio of games with the Broncos collecting three assists.

Dowling's offensive potential is big, although we may have to wait some time as he adjusts into the WHL. He's definitely a big part of the future and anything he contributes this season will be a bonus.

I'm interested to see if he got any bigger since his last stint with the team, he'll need to add some weight if he wants to be a regular fixture in the league.

Ian Curtis

The 17 year old netminder comes into camp this season looking to compete for one of two goaltending spots. Right now, he's the favorite in my opinion to back-up Travis Yonkman.

He's the goaltender of the future along with Eric Ferber and possibly Andrew Breker.

After spending last season in Cowichan Valley of the B.C. junior league, Curtis should be ready to make the jump to the Western Hockey League when camp begins August 20th.

I've always liked his size and his athleticism in the crease. He's big (6'4 last year) and was the one player that stood out the most as a 15 year-old two years ago. I've compared him in the past to a Justin Pogge clone. Let's see if this is his year.

There you have it, 10 reasons to get excited about Broncos hockey. Who excites you this upcoming season? Feel free to leave a comment.

Jon
    # 8-9-11-22 ALWAYS REMEMBERED

I'm excited about Gervais. One year of dub hockey under his belt, should be a little bigger. I really liked the way he throws hits, works hard, and is full of intensity. He might not put up huge numbers but he's my pick for the next Ondrus or Syszky, I loved the open ice hits these guys threw and I can see Gervais becoming the same way.
    Always Remembered

Default Add to Jon's list

I would add one more thing to Jon’s list. The CC finally gets flexible boards this should greatly reduce player injures and make the hits by Gervais sound HUGE!!!
    [COLOR=Navy]Go BRONCOS Go

Default re

you will have ten reasons to be excited about the 08 season and all ten are taylor ernst!!!!