Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 2007 Training Camp Thread

Quote Originally Posted by nivek_wahs
    Training camp note... from Gregg Drinan's blog (http://gdrinnan.blogspot.com/)

No mention of Marco Insam... hmm.
    Marco is expected to return to the Notre Dame Hounds.

I am posting from my cell phone... so I cant post links. But according to the Leader Post Justin Scott has been released by the team. Leaving the Pats with three potential overagers.

Bran Guest

reginapats.com
    PATS ROOKIE CAMP DAY 1

Regina, Saskatchewan – Today, sixty- eight Regina Pat hopefuls hit the ice at the Emerald Park Arena. The players were split into three different teams that will stay together until Saturday’s Rookie Prospect Game.

The three teams started out with practices this morning and then moved to scrimmages for tonight and all of tomorrow. A list of Fridays action is listed below.

Friday August 24th

9:00am – 9:45am - White vs Red - Scrimmage
    10:00am – 10:45am - White vs Blue - Scrimmage
    11:00pm – 11:45am - Red vs Blue - Scrimmage

12:15pm – 1:15pm - Goalie Session

6:00pm – 6:45pm - Blue vs White - Scrimmage
    7:00pm – 7:45pm - Blue vs Red - Scrimmage
    8:00pm – 8:45pm - White vs Red - Scrimmage

News & Notes

A familiar face was out skating with the Regina Pats today, as former Pats Captain Garth Murray was out skating with the team before he attends the Montreal Canadians training camp this fall. Murray played for the Pats from 1998-2002, having his best season in 2001-02 when he collected 33 goals and 30 assists in just 62 games.
    …………………

Bran Guest

Quote Originally Posted by nivek_wahs
    I am posting from my cell phone... so I cant post links. But according to the Leader Post Justin Scott has been released by the team. Leaving the Pats with three potential overagers.
    Good luck to Justin! I always liked him...wasn't necessarily the most productive player but he always worked hard. Kinda hard to justify keeping him as a 20 year old though, especially with Lind around.

leaderpost.com
    Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
    Published: Friday, August 24, 2007
    -- And then there were three.
    Veteran Justin Scott has cleared waivers and been released by the Regina Pats, leaving wingers Troy Ofukany, Kaspars Saulietis and Myles Stoesz as the WHL club's lone returning 20-year-olds heading into main camp on Saturday.
    Scott, a four-year veteran, has also played for the Moose Jaw Warriors and Red Deer Rebels.
    Email to a friendPrinter friendly
    Font:
    The Pats acquired the Yorkton native from Red Deer in the summer of 2006. He recorded four goals and 10 assists in 61 games with Regina last season while serving as a checking-line centre.
    Scott is free to join any team in the WHL -- or accept an assignment to the junior A ranks.
    "In fairness to him, we didn't see where he'd fit in our plans," Parker said of the personable Scott, a respected leader in the dressing room. "We wanted to give him an opportunity to try and catch on somewhere as soon as possible."
    Although the Pats are now down to the league-mandated three 20-year-olds, the competition isn't necessarily over. Stoesz is under contract with the NHL's Atlanta Thrashers and may earn a job in their organization this season, leaving Regina with a hole to fill.
    As well, Saulietis will have to fend off a challenge from rookie imports Rudolf Cerveny of the Czech Republic and Marco Insam of Italy. Teams can only carry two Europeans.
    Cerveny and Insam are both in Regina and have been cleared to join the team. Saulietis, however, is still awaiting the final OK after his paperwork was apparently hung up in transit.
    "We don't envision it being an issue," said Parker. "It was a combination of Canada Post and Latvian Post, I guess."
    The deadline for teams to declare three overagers is Oct. 11.
    - - -
    Oh brother.
    The Pats' rookie camp roster includes defenceman Teran Teubert and centre Dustin Eberle, the 15-year-old siblings of Colten Teubert and Jordan Eberle.
    The younger Teubert, who wasn't selected in last year's WHL bantam draft, has been brought in on a tryout basis. At 5-foot-9 and 157 pounds, he's considerably smaller than his 17-year-old brother Colten, the Pats' 6-foot-4, 190-pound blue-chip defenceman.
    "He's a later developing kid than Colten was," said Parker. "When your brother was a first-overall pick in the bantam draft and a projected high NHL pick, I'm sure he gets sick of hearing, 'Oh, you're Colten's brother.' He'd like to establish a little bit on his own. He'll get the opportunity to do that."
    Dustin Eberle was selected by Regina in the 12th round of the 2007 draft. Like his brother, who led the Pats in scoring as a rookie last season, Dustin is small in stature but makes up for it in skill.
    "He's a guy we saw for a bit and thought he got better and better all year," said Parker. "He's going to want to establish his own name too."
    The Teuberts arrived in Regina on Wednesday after a three-day trek from their home near Vancouver, stopping to visit relatives in Kelowna and Calgary along the way.
    "He's excited to be here," Colten said of his brother. "He's staying at my billets, kind of living the (WHL) life. He's just coming here for fun and to see what it's like."
    The same for Eberle.
    "I know he's excited to be going to a WHL camp, especially since we're both from Regina," said Jordan, whose family now resides in Calgary. "He can see all his old buddies. It's a little easier for him knowing I played for the team last year. I think it'll help him a bit."
    - - -
    Email to a friendPrinter friendly
    Font:
    EXTRAS: The Pats' rookie roster also includes RW Ryan Ostertag, 15, who's the grandson of legendary player/coach/GM Bill Hicke ... D Logan Pyett is the only veteran expected to be absent from the opening day of main camp. He's in Moscow for the Canada-Russia Super Series ... At least five Pats are slated to join NHL rookie camps early next month: Pyett (Detroit), Stoesz (Atlanta), D Nick Ross (Phoenix), G Linden Rowat (L.A.) and RW Brett Leffler (Washington) ... List player Shawn Ostrow, 17, a small but skilled forward in whom the Pats took a flyer, will be a no-show for main camp. The Calgary native is expected to pursue an NCAA scholarship ... Former Pats captain Garth Murray skated with the vets on Thursday. He's preparing to join the camp of the Montreal Canadiens.
    More on Justin Scott (and a bit of other TC stuff) from Rod's blog...
    So Long Scottie
    The Regina Pats released 20-year old centre Justin Scott on Thursday to get down to the league-mandated limit of three overages. That leaves Troy Ofukany, Kaspars Saulities and Myles Stoesz as the Pats 20's.

I'll miss Justin, the Yorkton product. He's been in the 'Dub since he was 16 and has been through the wars. I guarantee it was tough for the Pats to deliver him the news. Some players come and go and I barely get to know them but Scottie was a favourite of mine and I'll forever be in his debt for his heroics in lower east-side Vancouver last year.

On that Project First Goal WHL/RCMP tour last November where six Pats, undercover law enforcement personnel and I spent a night on the drug-ravaged streets of east Vancouver, Justin saved me from an ugly incident. We were filming the venture for a school educational video and when a girl junkie fell towards me with an HIV- and Hep C-infected syringe needle, Scottie knocked me out of the way because my whole body froze while filming the scene. Never been that scared in my life.

Thanks again Justin, and good luck..

-

The Pats have five players headed to NHL training camps in the coming weeks ... They are Myles Stoesz (Atlanta), Logan Pyett (Detroit), Linden Rowat (L.A.), Brett Leffler (Washington), and Nick Ross (Phoenix).

-

This is the beautiful thing about working for a private owner in sports. When you want a question answered, you go directly to one guy -- GM Brent Parker.

'Is Pats camp in White City or Emerald Park?' I asked in a text message Thursday.

The answer was a clear-cut 'White City'.

And so it shall be.

Complaints from Emerald Park residents can be directed to 522-PATS.

-

Regina Pats broadcasts will be heard on 106.9 FM in and around the Brandt Centre this season..
    Heh...Brent says White City but the Pats website says Emerald Park.
    Last edited by Bran; 08-24-2007 at 10:50 AM.

http://www.reginapats.com/modules.ph...ticle&sid=1024

Pats might attract Rider-like enthusiasm

The Regina Pats are facing a formidable opponent: The Saskatchewan Roughriders.

At this stage, the Pats customarily compete with the Green and White for media coverage and the attention of the public. This year is not a departure from convention, except in one respect.

The Riders boast the Canadian Football League's best record. They are 6-2 for the first time since 1976, when the Pats were still housed in prehistoric Exhibition Stadium.

Given the Riders' fortunes of late, they have dominated local sporting-related chatter. It does not matter that the Riders' players are dispersed throughout North America in the midst of a bye week. Sports fans cannot get enough of the resurgent Riders, or so it seems.

Meanwhile, the Pats are poised to open main training camp - a precursor to what should be a successful season - but the idle Roughriders still occupy centre stage. Pats general manager Brent Parker hopes the Rider Pride is contagious.

"I think the buzz in the city right now is great,'' Parker says. "We see what (Riders GM) Eric Tillman and (head coach) Kent Austin are preaching and it's a good teaching tool for us, because it's the same thing we're teaching. The difference is that you're dealing with teenagers instead of professionals. Dealing with teenagers has its unique set of challenges.

"With what the Riders are doing, you can't help but get caught up in it. We'd like nothing more than when they're done at the end of November, to pick up the mantle and take it until the end of May when they get started again.
    "However, we will stop short of wearing green jerseys all the time. We'll just wear them on St. Patrick's Day.''

By then, the Pats would like to be in the WHL's upper echelon. If that goal is attained, perhaps they will create a level of excitement that approaches the current infatuation with the Riders.

On paper - and, admittedly, it is always precarious to preface a thought with those two words - the Pats stack up well against most of their peers.
    Linden Rowat will be the No. 1 goaltender. No concerns there.

Rowat will be supported by one of the WHL's top defences, which is led by Logan Pyett, Craig Schira and sure-fire 2008 first-rounder Colten Teubert.
    Regina does not have an abundance of firepower up front, but its principal offensive threat - 17-year-old Jordan Eberle - is a once-in-a-generation gem.
    Curtis Hunt is a respected head coach, as evidenced by his world junior credentials.

So why shouldn't this team be capable of enlivening the Regina sports community during the 2007-08 season?

"We've got a long season yet,'' Parker notes. "We're excited about the group and confident that the guys can lead us to where we want to go, but we still have a lot of learning to do.''

With that in mind, the Pats' brass would like to instill a mindset espoused by the Roughriders' hierarchy.

Austin, in particular, has preached the importance of patience, perspective, attention to detail, and constant improvement. Parker and Hunt have certainly taken notice.

Hunt is a noted outside-the-box thinker. As an example, he picked the brain of a football coach - the University of Regina Rams' Frank McCrystal - early in his tenure as the Moose Jaw Warriors' bench boss.

Quote Originally Posted by Triton
    Marco is expected to return to the Notre Dame Hounds.
    Well I guess Insam is in town and is at camp... I gues we'll see how it goes for him.
    As well, Saulietis will have to fend off a challenge from rookie imports Rudolf Cerveny of the Czech Republic and Marco Insam of Italy. Teams can only carry two Europeans.
    http://www.reginapats.com/modules.ph...ticle&sid=1023

http://www.reginapats.com/modules.ph...ticle&sid=1025
    PATS ROOKIE CAMP DAY 2

Regina, Saskatchewan – Today, training camp resumed for the Regina Pats rookies as a full day of scrimmages continue at the White City Arena. The players are getting ready for cut down day as some players will be released tonight leading up to tomorrows Rookie Prospect Game.

The Rookie Prospect Game will feature the Regina Pats top 40 young players. The game will be played at the White City Arena, Saturday August 25th at 10am, and will lead up to Main Camp registration which will start at 3pm at the Brandt Centre. A schedule of tomorrow’s activities can be found below:

Saturday August 25/07

10:00am-12pm - Rookie Camp Prospect Game @ White City

3:00pm - Registration @ Brandt Centre
    In the Pats Dressing Room

6:00pm – 7:15pm - Red Practice @ White City
    7:45pm – 9:00pm - White Practice @ White City

News & Notes

Through the first day of camp, Sean Delwo and Jordan Weal (’07 Bantam Draft, 4th round pick) are leading the rookies each scoring two goals and adding one assist. Riley Storzuk (’07 Bantam Draft, 9th round pick) has also had a strong start to the camp scoring one goal and adding two assists, while Garrett Mitchell (’06 Bantam Draft, 2nd round pick) has added three assists to start off the week. The Pats lost one hopeful in day one of rookie camp as defensemen Adam Smith (’07 Bantam Draft, 8th round pick) was sidelined with a dislocated knee cap

Iconwhl

was at the scrimmage when Adam Smith got hurt........

he went for a open ice hit just as team red was coming up to the red line he hit the kid and all u heard was was Adam Smith yell in pain, he was in pain before he even hit the ice couldnt move his right leg at all trainer had his hand inside his pant leg and went down to his knee and Adam let out another huge holler in pain......Nick Ross and Jared Jagow helped the kid off the ice as the trainer held his knee in place cuz any movement sent him into pain

http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpo...0484e3dccc&p=2

Trying to follow his grandfather's footsteps

Rob Vanstone, The Leader-Post
    Published: Saturday, August 25, 2007

EMERALD PARK -- One of the Regina Pats' richest traditions was celebrated during the WHL team's rookie camp.

The roster of 15- and 16-year-old prospects included Ryan Ostertag -- the proud grandson of Pats legend Bill Hicke.

"He taught me everything I know,'' Ostertag said after Friday morning's scrimmage at the Emerald Park Communiskate. "I pretty much give him every credit possible.

"It started off when I learned to skate. He was always there for me. He taught me how to shoot, how to skate, whatever . . .''

The grandfatherly influence has been noted.

"He's built a lot like Billy,'' Pats general manager Brent Parker said of Ostertag. "He's not really big, but he can skate.''

Hicke -- a former Pats player, coach, general manager and owner -- died of cancer on July 18, 2005 at age 67.

In the 1950s, the 5-foot-8 Hicke starred for the Pats before going on to join the Montreal Canadiens, with whom he began a 14-year pro hockey career. He eventually became part of the Pats' ownership group.

The Pats have retired Hicke's jersey, No. 17, which hangs from the rafters at the Brandt Centre.

For the past two Hockey Regina seasons, Ryan and younger brother Dylan have worn No. 17 in their grandfather's honour.

Ryan Ostertag spent last season with the bantam tier I Canucks. The 5-foot-10, 155-pound right winger had 22 goals and 23 assists in 42 games.

Ostertag's steady improvement throughout the 2006-07 season attracted the attention of Parker and head scout Todd Ripplinger. They extended a rookie-camp invitation late last season.

"Ripper felt the same way that I did -- that he got better all year,'' Parker said. "It didn't put him in a draftable position, but he is a legitimate camp invitee.

"The other side is a nice aspect to it, but he didn't get invited to camp just because of who he's related to.''

That point is underlined by the fact that Ostertag also received invitations from the Medicine Hat Tigers -- the defending WHL champion -- and several SJHL teams.

Upon choosing Regina, Ostertag realized that there would be some additional scrutiny due to the family history.

"There is a little pressure on you once you think about it, but I just go out there and do my best,'' said Ostertag, who turns 15 on Sept. 20.

One spectator has been playing particular attention to Ostertag at rookie camp. His mother, Lisa Hicke-Ostertag, sat in the front row Friday morning, accompanied by 12-year-old Dylan.

"I think I was more excited about it than Ryan was, just because he is putting the Pats crest on his chest,'' Hicke-Ostertag said. "Also, it's very hard because I'd like my dad to be here and see him wear that jersey. I know he's watching him because he would have been so proud.

"Ryan and Dylan were his 'bestest friends' and it's a very proud moment for us.''

Ryan is actually a third-generation rookie-camp attendee. Hicke's son, Danny, was at rookie camp in the 1980s.

As well, Ostertag made the final-40 cutdown for tryouts with the midget AAA Regina Pat Canadians. The Pat Canadians' training camp is to begin Sept. 4.

So what happens if Ostertag's hockey career keeps progressing? What if he ends up emulating his famous grandfather by playing for the Pats?

"That would be pretty neat,'' Parker reflected. "We might have take a number out of the rafters for that.''

CAMP SCHEDULE

REGINA PATS TRAINING CAMP

At Emerald Park Communiskate

Today

Red practice: 6 p.m. to 7:15 p.m.

White practice: 7:45 p.m. to 9 p.m.

Sunday

Red practice: 9:30 a.m. to 10:45 a.m.

White practice: 11:15 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.

Red vs. White scrimmage: 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.

Monday

White practice: 9:30 a.m. to 10:45 a.m.

Red practice: 11:15 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.

Red vs. White scrimmage: 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.

Tuesday

Red vs. White scrimmage: 10 a.m. to noon.

Wednesday

Blue morning skate: 10 a.m. to 11 a.m.

White morning skate: 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.

Blue and White intrasquad game: 7 p.m. to approximately 10 p.m.

REGINA PATS CAMP ROSTER

GOALTENDERS

NAME HT WT HOMETOWN AGE 2006-07 TEAM

Linden Rowat 6-2 181 Cochrane, Alta. 18 Pats

Jeff Bosch 6-1 175 Martensville 17 Saskatoon Blazers midget AAA

DEFENCEMEN

Dru Cotterill 6-2 195 Stoney Plain, Alta. 17 Saskatoon Blazers midget AAA

Matt Delahey 6-3 202 Moose Jaw. 18 Pats

Spencer Fraipont 6-4 201 Kelowna, B.C. 19 Pats

Jared Friesen 6-1 182 Steinbach, Man. 17 Eastman midget AAA

Curtis Kulchar 6-1 185 Martensville 17 Prince Albert Mintos midget AAA

Logan Pyett 5-11 198 Balgonie 19 Pats

Nick Ross 6-1 194 Lethbridge, Alta. 18 Pats

Craig Schira 6-0 196 Spritwood 19 Pats

Colten Teubert 6-4 181 White Rock, B.C. 17 Pats

Matt MacDermott 6-0 190 Calgary 19 Alberni Valley Bulldogs junior A

FORWARDS

Rudolf Cerveny 6-0 180 Czech Republic 18 Ceska Budejovice

Jordan Eberle 5-11 170 Calgary 17 Pats

Josh Elder 6-5 214 Saskatoon 19 Pats

Dieter Gillanders 6-2 200 Kyle 17 Yorkton midget AAA

Cody Gross 6-0 177 Winnipeg 18 Prince Albert (WHL)

Kirt Hil 5-11 175 Winnipeg 19 Pats

Marco Insam 6-2 200 Milano, Italy 18 Notre Dame midget AAA

Jared Jagow 5-11 180 Rosetown 19 Pats

Brett Leffler 6-1 197 Wynyard 18 Pats

Levi Lind 6-3 202 Saskatoon 19 Pats

Michael MacAngus 6-1 193 Edmonton 19 Pats

Troy Ofukany 6-0 195 Kamloops 20 Pats

Mike Reich 5-11 185 Craik 19 Pats

Mike Rosloot 6-0 185 Regina 18 Pat Canadians midget AAA

Kent Sauter 6-1 180 Kenosee Lake 18 Nipawin (SJHL)

Kaspars Saulietis 6-4 190 Riga, Latvia 20 Pats

Myles Stoesz 6-2 208 Steinbach, Man. 20 Pats

Matt Strueby 6-1 175 Regina, Sask. 18 Pat Canadians midget AAA

NOTE: Roster excludes players who have been carried over from rookie camp.

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007

http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpo...1-544acfa5dd4e

Not every loss is a bad thing

Rob Vanstone, Leader-Post
    Published: Saturday, August 25, 2007

Curtis Hunt has finally found a loss he can stomach.

The Regina Pats head coach lost 28 pounds during the offseason, which ended Wednesday when the WHL team began rookie camp. Main camp begins today at the Emerald Park Communiskate.

"I feel great,'' Hunt said. "I get up in the morning and I feel energized. It's all about discipline in the end. You break those habits and it empowers you.

"Eating is such an easy thing to fall back on. You can go 'Ahhh, we're losing games,' and eat a bag of chips or whatever. What it does is it brings back the feeling that, 'I'm in control here.' It's just about discipline.''

Hunt hopes the discipline that applies to his dietary habits -- he avoided bread, potatoes and pasta over a four-month period -- will serve as an example for the players.

"I do believe we're role models as a coaching staff,'' Hunt said. "Terry (Perkins, assistant coach) and Greg (Mayer, trainer) work out relentlessly here. I don't ever seem to think I have the time to work out.

"At least it's not my little part of a fat slob telling you you've got to be in shape anymore. At least I look the part.''

What prompted Hunt to alter his eating habits?

"Forty,'' said the Pats' fourth-year bench boss, who turned 40 on Jan. 28. "You know what? You get to that age ...

"My wife's great. (Kim Hunt) has always stayed fit and she is smart about her diet. I'm not that smart all the time -- with my diet, at least. After a while, you just make a decision. I've had my pants let out and you get your clothes re-fit and then you say, 'What am I doing?' ''

Twenty-eight pounds later ...

"He lost it. I found it,'' Pats general manager Brent Parker lamented.

"He did better with his offseason training program than I did.''

That said, Parker still reduced his frame by 10 pounds. In other words, the Pats' hockey hierarchy has lost a combined 38 pounds.

"I like it when you put it that way,'' Parker said. "It's much better.

"I had the disadvantage of being at the ballpark during the summer -- hot dogs, hamburgers, extra-large bag of sunflower seeds ...''

Even so, the general manager can hardly be termed extra-large. Now that he is 10 pounds lighter, how much does he weigh?

"When I get to the number I want to be at, I'll tell you what it is,'' Parker said with a chuckle. "Then I've got some wiggle room -- not jiggle room.''

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007