Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 2007 Training Camp Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ern
    I'm in Edmonton watching the Broncos. I didn't watch the Pats, but I do know that Jordan Eberle and Troy Ofukany scored the goals for Regina tonight.
    Thanks, Big Ern. The bolded words are easier to remember, so double thanks.

Anyone have tourney scores from sunday? I'm trying to tally the predictions score but cant find any scores from sunday edmonton tourney. Is the league too busy to post this crap or what?

Quote Originally Posted by HAF
    Anyone have tourney scores from sunday? I'm trying to tally the predictions score but cant find any scores from sunday edmonton tourney. Is the league too busy to post this crap or what?
    1 KEL 6 SC
    1 PG 2 REG
    5 KAM 1 EDM

4 TRI 4 VAN
    1 SEA 3 SPO
    3 CHI 1 EVE

Looks like PA fans were not kidding when they said Gross has some offensive talent. He has got to have 4 points or so in this tournament. Good trade parker.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ern
    The Pats just beat Kelowna 3-2. Scorers: Jordan Eberle, Garrett Mitchell, and Cody Gross.

Eberle took player of the game.

Man, why am I doing this. I don't like the Pats. HAHA.

Anyway, this facility is amazing..high speed wireless. I love it.
    I saw Cody Gross score a goal. Some obvious idiot in a Pats jersey informed me the other two goals were scored by Mitchell and Eberle. Rod Pedersen reports on the blog that the second and third goal were scored by Jagow and Ross.

I don't know if that person was a true Pats fan. He assured me of who scored the goals. Obviously, he didn't know the goal scorers. So trust Roddy and read his blog on this one...my report is not official.
    GO BRONCOS GO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Triton
    How has Kulchar looked and does it look like he could make the team or is there a log jam on the backend?
    I would have to say that after watching all of the scrimmages at Pats' camp that Kulchar is ready to step into the line-up. I have one thing to say... He's good, a couple times I thought he was Schira during scrimmages (that means something in my opinion). Now after reading that Fraipont is out 4-6 weeks I would almost guarantee that Kulchar will make the squad as the team's 6th defensman.

Quote Originally Posted by sbtatter
    Pym looked solid and steady against the AAA Wheaties last year, how's he performing at camp?
    When I was at rookie camp, I saw this kid carry himself like an aged veteran and I thought to myself "that must be Pym" and I was correct. Out of the rookie camp defense he was by far the best. I think that he can make the team as a 16 year old because he's good. He is such a smooth skater and never seems to panic. I see him as being 7th d-man (the Pats' wouldn't miss a beat with him in the line-up).

Another article from the Leader-Post via the Pats website...

http://www.reginapats.com/modules.ph...ticle&sid=1039

Insam learned to hound the opposition

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
    Published: Friday, August 31, 2007

EMERALD PARK -- Marco Insam's path to the Regina Pats' doorstep took him down a road less travelled.

At age 15, the native of Milan, Italy, decided a change of scenery would behoove his dream of playing pro hockey. With the blessing of his father Adolf -- a former head coach of Italy's national team -- Marco packed his bags and ventured across the pond, enrolling in one of Canada's most prestigious hockey factories, Athol Murray College of Notre Dame in Wilcox.

"I wanted to learn English and play a good level of hockey," explains the 18-year-old winger, who's vying to become the lone Italian player in the WHL. "I wanted to have a new experience. In Italy the junior level is pretty bad. I could have gone to Germany but it's too close to home. It would be an experience but not like going to Canada. I wanted to play real hockey."

Upon his arrival at Notre Dame, Insam quickly discovered that his education wouldn't be limited to the ice.

"The first few months was hard for me to communicate with the other guys but after that I was speaking to everyone," said Insam, who graduated from Notre Dame this spring and now speaks fluent English. "I had three really good years there. It was hard to leave."

Fortunately, he didn't have to go far.

After a strong season with the Hounds' midget AAA program in 2006-07, Insam was selected by Regina in the second round (71st overall) of this summer's CHL import draft.

"I said, 'I can come right now if you want,' " he said with a laugh, recalling a post-draft conversation with Pats director of scouting Todd Ripplinger. "It was three, four in the morning. I was like, 'Yeah, I'll come for sure.' "

Insam's experience at Notre Dame has helped him develop from a raw European talent into a North American-style player. The 6-foot-2, 200-pounder, who possesses a lethal shot and a physical edge to his game, was among the Hounds' leading scorers last season with 32 goals and 55 points in 49 games. He also played for Italy on the B side of the world under-18 championship.

"I try to play like they do in Canada," he said. "After three years here, you get used to it. I can't just put my head down (and stickhandle)."

Insam's inspiration in hockey came from his father, who has coached Italy at the Olympics and the world championships. He currently guides the Milan Vipers pro team.

"I would watch the games (coached by his dad)," he recalled. "When I was four or five I started playing hockey and just liked it. I still like it."

Insam's background is rare in Italy, a country where hockey is well down the list of preferred pastimes.

"It's one of the smallest sports," he noted. "Just in the north part it's getting popular. Soccer and basketball are the main sports. I played soccer like all the kids do in Italy, but that's about it."

Insam said his friends back home are supportive of his desire to play elite hockey overseas. He's also motivated by the idea of helping blaze a trail for other foreign players at Notre Dame.

"There are many European guys there," he said. "If an Italian guy can make it, a German guy can make it too. It inspires other guys to keep going and never give up."

Insam has performed well in Pats camp, but his strong showing leaves the club with a slight dilemma -- albeit a good one. Since WHL teams can only carry two imports, head coach Curtis Hunt will have to choose between Insam, veteran Kaspars Saulietis of Latvia and Czech rookie Rudolf Cerveny.

"He's having a good camp; they all are," Hunt said. "Marco's time at Notre Dame is serving him very well, but I wouldn't say any one player is ahead of anyone else."

Insam is hoping to separate himself from the pack during this weekend's tournament in Edmonton. His performance in the exhibition season will ultimately determine whether he stays in Regina or explores his pro options back home in Italy.

Email to a friend

I'm pumped," he said of playing a live game with the Pats. "I'll give everything (to stay here) -- every practice, every game. It's tough competition but we'll see what happens. If I play my game I'll probably have a good chance."

Well now for my thoughts about Pats' camp... later than I wanted to post but better late than never... :P

I went looking for my notes from all of the scrimmages and I noticed that I am missing some stuff so I will just give an overview of all the players that I list. Other people can disagree all they want, this is my opinion and my opinion only.

GOALIES

1. Rowat
    2. Bosch
    3. Toss-up Ketlo and Laycock

Linden Rowat (89) – best goalie at camp and has embraced the starters’ job. Appears as though he has grown a bit and fills more of the net. Calm and collected in goal even when he is being challenged by the opposing forecheckers (a couple scrimmages got pretty intense). In my opinion Rowat has improved since last year and if you asked me what his weaknesses are at this point in time I would have to say that in camp there wasn't much to criticize.

Jeff Bosch (90) – had an up and down camp. One scrimmage he was amazing the next he was not so good. But over the last scrimmage and Blue/White game he stepped up his game and looked like he belonged as the Pats’ back-up (most likely successor?). Still has a lightning quick glove hand and seems to have command over his crease.

Damian Ketlo (91) – Had a good camp, but wasn’t overly amazing. Made some pretty sweet saves but has a tendency to let in a weak goal or two. Very acrobatic and will improve with time.

Spencer Laycock (91) – Had a good camp like Ketlo, but seemed to get rattled when he was faced with traffic in/near his crease. He did make a lot of quality stops and bailed his team out lots when there were defensive breakdowns. Doesn’t play the true “butterfly” and it leaves him vulnerable low along the ice but has impressive speed to make up for the weird stance (been re-assigned).

DEFENSEMEN

1. Pyett
    2. Schira
    3. Ross
    4. Teubert
    5. Delahey
    6. Kulchar
    7. Pym
    8. Fraipont
    9. MacDermott
    10. Cotterill (see note)
    ?. Friesen (see note)

Logan Pyett (88) – As he didn’t attend Pats’ camp I don’t have too much to say about him other than what I have seen him do on TV for Canada. He is our #1 d-man by default.

Craig Schira (88) – After a rocky end of the 2006-07 season it appears as though the Schira of 2 seasons ago is back. He played amazing in the scrimmages he participated in. Hitting like a freight train, shooting the puck, rushing the puck you name it he did it (except fight).

Nick Ross (89) – Being drafted must have done something for Ross’ confidence, as it looks like he came into camp with a new attitude (not saying his attitude was bad, just can’t think of any other wording, lol) and looks like a first round selection. He hit and hit and hit during camp, I felt sorry for some of those rookies and even a few vets that he hammered… ouch! If he gets paired with Schira for this year look for the “bash brothers” to return.

Colten Teubert (90) – There seems to be a new Teubert in camp this year. Boy did he have a chip on his shoulder, hitting anyone and everyone, which made him stick out for the good. He was probably the best d-man at camp (this far down on the depth chart because of the 3 names above). I thought he was good last year, but this year look out this kid will be one to reckon with.

Matt Delahey (89) – The Pats’ resident shut down d-man had a solid camp. Looks like he added some muscle or power or something as he was manhandling players no matter their size. I still don’t see any offensive upside but on D… he is a rock.

Curtis Kulchar (90) – One of 2 rookies I see making the Pats’ blueline this year. Kulchar has looked like a seasoned veteran throughout all the scrimmages. He is very mobile and has good wheels. Is very similar to Schira in size and skating style; but not as physical. Lots of veteran savvy and poise.

Alex Pym (91) – During rookie camp he was a man amongst boys and was by far the best d-man out there. Then came main camp and looked like he fit right in. Very similar skating style to that of former Pat Kyle Deck. He has extremely good closing skills and very rarely were opponents able to get past him. Very poised for a 16 year old.

Spencer Fraipont (88) – I have always liked Fraipont. This year he has bee extremely physical and gave Leffler a run for his money in a tilt. The only reason I have Fraipont as being #8 is his age, the Pats have a ton of 19 year olds and I think that leaves him on the outside looking in. Now that he is injured... I don't see him sticking with the team.

Matt MacDermott (88) – Third times a charm? Sorry but there is just not enough room on the blueline for him. He has had a decent camp but the 2 youngsters outshone him.

Dru Cotterill (90) – I can’t give an assessment of Cotterill as I wasn’t sure as to who he was until the Blue/White game; and I find out he’s playing forward. But from watching the previous scrimmages he has been forward most of camp and looked like a good bang and crash type winger.

Jared Friesen (89) - Nothing to say as I have no idea as to who he is/was.
    Last edited by nivek_wahs; 09-03-2007 at 11:59 PM.