Thread: Derek LeBlanc

Default Derek LeBlanc

Does anyone know if Derek LeBlanc is still in Edmonton Oilers camp or has he been cut? I know he accepted a free agent try-out agreement earlier in the summer but I haven't heard anything of how he is doing or if he is still there.

Icon32

LeBlanc was released after the rookie camp in the first cuts. Not sure where he is headed to

Quote Originally Posted by peatfan
    LeBlanc was released after the rookie camp in the first cuts. Not sure where he is headed to
    LeBlanc is headed to the University of Lethbridge, where he will team up with ex-Hitmen Scott Bowles, Shaun Norrie and Mark Shefchyk on the Pronghorns. It was in the Lethbridge paper the other day.

Icon32

Also on the U of Lethbridge team at least they were last year are Kris Deines and the great Ryan Constanzo. So that's 6 Hitmen down there. Plus a few at U of C and some up north at U of A. Should take in a university game.

Thats too bad for Derek, I was hoping he'd get a shot to play in the AHL. But atleast he is smart about it, he could have played somewhere in the ECHL for sure but hes got 4 years of school payed for and he can still play somewhat competitive hockey rather than play around in minor pro...there are lots of ex Wheat Kings play for U of Calgary (Brett Thurston, Colin McRae, Andre Blanchette, Richard Mueller).

Quote Originally Posted by peatfan
    Also on the U of Lethbridge team at least they were last year are Kris Deines and the great Ryan Constanzo. So that's 6 Hitmen down there. Plus a few at U of C and some up north at U of A. Should take in a university game.
    Good catch....forgot those two. Apparently LeBlanc is friends with Shefchyk from their minor hockey days, and that's what prompted him to decide to go to U of L rather than one of the bigger schools (with better hockey teams) like Alberta or Calgary.