Thread: Josef Tichy

Default Josef Tichy

This guy is scaring the hell out of me so far. Seems to be a trend in Tri where Bob manages to find us the biggest most undisciplined Euro D-men he can find. 151 pims last year and he has said he has no interest if fighting. Great, sounds like another Teslyuk to me.

Tri-City Americans sunday penalties
    First Period
    2:13 - Joel Broda, Tripping
    3:08 - Drew Hoff, Roughing
    11:44 - Josef Tichy, Roughing
    14:21 - Eric Mestery, Holding
    17:23 - Lane Werbowski, Elbowing
    18:17 - Josef Tichy, Elbowing

Second Period
    2:17 - Josef Tichy, Kneeing
    9:29 - Petr Stoklasa, Hooking
    16:44 - Colin Frederickson, Roughing

Third Period
    1:46 - Josef Tichy, High Sticking
    10:29 - Joel Broda, Holding

He also had a boarding call on Saturday.

Default I think he said

that because of his size that the leuge that he played in back home kept throwing him into the box just for touching someone! If the Dub refs let him check using that huge frame of his he could very well put the feer of God into the other teams. Give him a chance...

I wouldn't read too much into it, yet. I personally would like to see him in action first before I form an opinion since I didn't go to the Everett tourny.

B4dotcom Guest

Default Tichy

He has a good size to him but from what we watched of him this past weekend he seemed slow and not sure of himself (nerves?). He did make some silly mistakes but would like to see him next weekend as well before makeing any further conclusions. His speed is one concern I do have as it did appear to be lacking.

Default Tichy

I'd give him a few weeks before he gets thrown under the bus. A couple things to remember, he is a couple weeks behind because he hasn't been able to skate at all until Wednesday I believe. From watching Wednesday's practice he looked like he was really struggling with the language barrier. I figured he would struggle in Everett and probably will this weekend as well.

As for his skating, watching him in practice his footspeed looked significantly better than Valach's.

I hope you guys are right and I didnt intend to toss him under the bus. It just makes me nervous to think of the potential penalty problems we could be facing again this year from a guy that is supposed to be such a big part of our defense.

In the first everett game against spokane tichy didnt get called anywhere near as much as he did in the second game. In the vancouver game we felt he was specifically over called. He will need to adjust a bit. Hit or react keeping his elbows and hands down. But in intrasquads i also saw good team chemistry with him, with other players giving the extra effort to communicate, going to the board to draw out assignment details for him etc. And hes not a reluctant participant, he wants to be here and play. If there are problems with the performance of this team, they wont be solely focused on anything as thin as one depth D man. But for sure hes not your heavy weight, as some might have hoped for.

Exclamation Another thing to take into thought

From what I 've taken in he has gotten new everything! He will have to break in all of his equipment at the same time. I feel his pain! Watching him skate you can see the euro in him. He is a strong ,sure footed and smooth. He will not be the bullet on the team but he can get up to speed. He speaks very little english! I can't imagine going to a country not speaking the language and having to learn a new system all in one shot! Uff Da! I also noticed that he has a very hard shot. You can feel the boom in the boards on the few missed shots but most were on net. Like most of you I'd like to see him under the gun.
    Last edited by AMSRocker; 09-05-2007 at 12:43 AM.