Thread: Americans, Blades Exchange Forwards

Default Americans, Blades Exchange Forwards

Americans, Saskatoon Blades Exchange Forwards

September 11, 2007

Dan Mulhausen Tri-City Americans

KENNEWICK, WA - Tri-City Americans' general manager Bob Tory announced today that the team has acquired sixteen year-old forward Ryan Marshall from the Saskatoon Blades in exchange for seventeen year-old forward Cody Wutzke.

Marshall, a 5'9 165 lbs right wing/center, collected 17 goals and 23 points in 38 games for the Parkland Rangers AAA Midget. The Ste. Rose, Manitoba-native was the Blades' ninth round (183rd overall) pick in the 2006 Bantam Draft.

"Ryan is a speedy, creative forward who caught our eye at the 2006 Directors Cup and the 2007 Program of Excellence in Manitoba," stated Tory. "We are pleased to add him to our program."

Wutzke, a 6'2 210 lbs left wing/center, appeared in 33 games last season for the Saskatoon Blazers AAA Midget, registering 17 goals and 33 points along with 148 penalty minutes. In 2005, Tri-City selected Wutzke with their fifth round (87th overall) pick in the Bantam Draft.

"This gives Cody an opportunity to play in the League this year and compete closer to home," Tory continued. "We thank him for his contributions and wish him all the best in Saskatoon."

Tri-City Americans season ticket plans are now available for the 2007-08 season. Season ticket plans can be purchased by using several, convenient monthly payment schedules after a one-time service charge. Call 509.736.0606, visit AmsHockey.com or drop by the Americans offices' at the bottom level of the Toyota Center for more information.

This trade tells me that Wutzke probably wasn't making the team this year and at seventeen Bob wanted to see him have a chance to play in the Dub.The kid we got from Sask probably isnt making the team either and I'm sure is being sent down.
    I dont really like this move. I thought Wutzke brought decent hands and wheels along with a big gritty frame. I'm sure Bob isnt done yet.

Default Toughness

With Wutzke out they're going to need to bring in some toughness. I hope they don't believe Gorman is that guy. There are a few dirty players in our division (Beach, Sonne and Blackwater come to mind) who need to be held accountable.

I saw someone post that this Joel Woznikoski was supposed to be a fairly tough kid. I have no idea if there is any truth to this however. He is a lanky kid at 6'3"but kind of a beanpole at a buck seventy five.

What are the chances of putting McColm on a fourth line wing for a bit? He seems eager and has SOME toughness to him. With two new D-men plus Nargang there may be some room on the back end to move him up front.

I think our grittiness just took a hit.

Gorman is not the answer, and I think Schmidt is too important on the ice to be doing the "enforcer" role. I liked Wutzke's potential impact on this team. Hopefully there is more to come. My gut tells me this is more of a "numbers" trade (between Wutzke and someone else on who stays or goes, a 19 year old perhaps) and Wutzke has value. But I could be wrong. That's the conspiracy theorist in me.

Quote Originally Posted by Stay-Puft
    I think our grittiness just took a hit.

Gorman is not the answer, and I think Schmidt is too important on the ice to be doing the "enforcer" role. I liked Wutzke's potential impact on this team. Hopefully there is more to come. My gut tells me this is more of a "numbers" trade (between Wutzke and someone else on who stays or goes, a 19 year old perhaps) and Wutzke has value. But I could be wrong. That's the conspiracy theorist in me.
    I dont think Wutzke was making the team this year and therefore Bob traded him to give him a chance to play in the Dub. With the flood of talent we have in the 90 and 91's I think Bob will possibly move a few more before everything is said and done. Those were two great draft years for the Am's and we are deep enough in them that I see him moving a few for some older players before the regular season starts. Bob is no dummy, I'm sure there will be some toughness headed our way soon.
    I agree that Gorman is not the answer, however having a few middleweights like that definately takes the needless strain off of a good enforcer. Schmidt will be a huge factor on our blueline and also is not a viable option. Putting McColm on a wing could be a temporary solution until we can get a heavyweight in here however. Time will tell I guess. Its fun to make predictions, however only one guy has the for sure answers at this point and that SOB has some tight lips...lol