Thread: Looking ahead to opening night...

Default Looking ahead to opening night...

I didn't get to see either of the games this past weekend, but I'd assume folks still think we need some tweaks to the blueline before we get too far into the season. Here's how I would look at the guys that are left.

Forwards

Overagers: Yellow Horn, Vey, Felde - If YH returns, then it will likely come down to dealing one of the other two. If YH sticks then I'd say they will be happy to keep both Vey and Felde.

Pencil 'Em In: Procyshen (19), Macauley (19), Broda (18), Reddick (17), Lazo (18), Stoklasa (18), Ridgeway (17), Hughesman (16), Gardiner (16)

On the Bubble: Hoff (19), Nargang (19), Gorman (18), Jackson (17), Wilgosh (16) - Five guys probably competing for 3 spots.

Needs: Hulking winger that will strike more fear in opponents than Gorman.

Defensemen

Overager: Fast - Although its possible he would be the odd man out, I'd rule it as a longshot.

Pencil 'Em In: Toll (18), McColm (18), Schmidt (17), Mestery (17)

On the Bubble: Kraus (18), Woznikoski (18), Frederickson (17), Werbowski (16) - Werbowski has impressed me as a 16-year-old, but I think he needs playing time and to get stronger to make the jump. Four guys competing for two spots right now.

Needs: I think the club still has a need for a top 4 and probably a top 2 defenseman. The question is what would it take to snag a Ty Wishart quality d-man. Would it be worth the price for one year?

I missed both games this weekend so I won't give a prediction of who's in and who's not. However, I have noticed on the Tampa Bay box scores for games 1 and 3 of their in-squad scrimmages that Colten wasn't listed for either team (Game 2 didn't give a box score). Maybe they are holding him out until the pre-season schedule starts, but their big guns in St. Louis and Lecaviler were in so I'm starting to think that he will be coming back for the start of the Ams season.

I think Hoff and Gorman should be on the starting roster. But if you are a vet out of highschool you are at more risk of being traded, as opposed to being re-assigned or released. Freddy on D is already re-assigned I think. So what you've got up, could be pretty much opening roster, with 7 on D, going to 8 when Toll gets back (which i dont think they are opposed to carrying). 14 Fs. Some utility guys who can play both F & D is handy too. Wishing the best for Yellowhorn, but hoping to get him back all the same. If you trade for a couple good 19s that were better than mid depth, both F and D, that would be good for this year; and not bad for next year either. Maybe give up a couple 88 and a couple 89s to get that quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Stay-Puft
    I missed both games this weekend so I won't give a prediction of who's in and who's not. However, I have noticed on the Tampa Bay box scores for games 1 and 3 of their in-squad scrimmages that Colten wasn't listed for either team (Game 2 didn't give a box score). Maybe they are holding him out until the pre-season schedule starts, but their big guns in St. Louis and Lecaviler were in so I'm starting to think that he will be coming back for the start of the Ams season.
    Yellowhorn was sent down by Tampa, He is now at the Norfolk camp trying to win a spot.

Default Revised roster as of today...

Forwards

Overagers: Yellow Horn, Vey, Felde - If YH returns, then it will likely come down to dealing one of the other two. If YH sticks then I'd say they will be happy to keep both Vey and Felde.

Pencil 'Em In: Procyshen (19), Macauley (19), Broda (18), Reddick (17), Lazo (18), Stoklasa (18), Ridgeway (17), Hughesman (16), Gardiner (16)

On the Bubble: Hoff (19), Gorman (18), Jackson (17), Wilgosh (16) - Four guys probably competing for 3 spots.

Needs: Hulking winger that will strike more fear in opponents than Gorman.

Defensemen

Overager: Fast - Although its possible he would be the odd man out, I'd rule it as a longshot.

Pencil 'Em In: Toll (18), McColm (18), Schmidt (17), Mestery (17)

On the Bubble: Kraus (18), Woznikoski (18), Werbowski (16) - Werbowski has impressed me as a 16-year-old, but I think he needs playing time and to get stronger to make the jump. Three guys competing for two spots right now.

Needs: I think the club still has a need for a top 4 and probably a top 2 defenseman. The question is what would it take to snag a Ty Wishart quality d-man. Would it be worth the price for one year?

Quote Originally Posted by AmsPhotos
    . The question is what would it take to snag a Ty Wishart quality d-man. Would it be worth the price for one year?

It would be interesting to see how we are set as far as draft picks for '08. Do you know where these are all listed?
    With the quality we had to reasign this year already and depending on where we are sitting as far as draft picks for next year I say we could possibly afford to bring in a guy like Wishart without killing our future. From the sounds of whats happening in PG it sounds like they may be in the market to build a future and ship out some talent.
    The difference just having Fast in the lineup Saturday was amazing. Its like he replenished the confidence of every d-man on the roster. Adding another proven vet on the blueline could very well change the entire dynamic of this team and put near the top of the conference rather than sneaking in at the 8th position.

wheels1 Guest

In my opinion Wilgosh had a great pre-season and I believe he will make the roster. I would keep him before a guy like Hoff. Hoff has done a great job for us, Wilgosh is a similar player with the same talent level. The Benefit is he is only 16.

Regarding Hoff... Don had him on the 2nd line with Vey and Felde for Saturday's preseason game vs. the Hawks and he played great. I really like Hoff and his work ethic, he's the type of grinder that never quits and every teams needs. Not flashy but solid. I agree we could use another winger with a good physical presence and Gorman may not be the answer, but I think they'll give him a chance to start the year.