Thread: game 2 giants at tips

Default game 2 giants at tips

After one the giants looked better...faster....early on. They killed of 6 minutes of pp time taking the same number of shots as the Tips...2. The tips came on late and out shot the giants 8-6. The only exciting thing in the first was the fight 3 seconds in between Sonne and...the name escapes me...Hunt I think. I’ll edit that later...lol. Any way both guys got in a couple and there were a lot of shots thrown. Exciting tilt, but a draw nonetheless.
    Last edited by Tipped Off; 09-23-2007 at 08:34 AM.

Default power play period

The Giants benefited from two 5 on 3 power plays. Once scoring on the backend, once on the front. The Tips also scored two regular pp goals. So far the Tips have had 5, 55 second or longer, 5 on 3's against them in 5 periods of play. Shots on goal now 22 to 16, but the Tips played much better in that period.
    Last edited by Tipped Off; 09-23-2007 at 08:35 AM.

Default beach vs wookie

Wookie picks a fight against beach. Beach throws 2 punches and Wookie goes down....then it gets broken up. I dont think either landed, but he went down and that was it. Wookie gets 2 for instigating, 5 for fighting and a 10 misconduct. Beach gets 5.
    Last edited by Tipped Off; 09-23-2007 at 08:36 AM.

Default 3rd period

The Tips were just flat out outplayed in this one. I'll be interested to see what the Iceman on the Tips board has to say about it...lol. The only 3 guys the Tips are missing are Fiala, who the tTps wont keep as a Euro Overager, Mueller who wont be back and Crowley who is, at best, 50/50 to come back. so this....Tips fans....is your 2007/2008 Tips team at full strength. I predicted 2nd place in the U.S. division ...I'm thinking 3rd now.

btw....where the bleep was Hamill tonight? He might as well of scratched he was such a non factor.
    Last edited by Tipped Off; 09-23-2007 at 08:39 AM.

Default Sunday Herald

Thanks to Marty Alto on the Tips board for pointing this out...

from the Sunday Everett Herald:

Following Machacek's goal the game got ugly, with four separate fights during a 14 second period.

"I thought Everett was a frustrated hockey team," Vancouver coach Don Hay said. "It doesn't really bother me, but when you go after young players that's something that is uncalled for.

Here are the birth years of the combatants for the 6 fights

Sonne 87 - Hunt 87

Beach 90 - Wuchterl 87

Poteur 88 - Berube 88

Beach 90 - Cunningham 90

Mistelbacher 90 - Kane 91

Strong 90 - Piluso 90

So I guess it's OK for for Mikey to start a fight (he got 2 & 10 for instigating) with Beach (Tips 1st round draft choice), but not OK for Jordan (no instigator) to tangle with Kane (Giants 1st round draft choice)

Default Here's the whole article

Published: Sunday, September 23, 2007

Silvertips overheat

Tips twice give up lead in defeat

By Nick Patterson
    Herald Writer

EVERETT — It's been a frustrating first weekend of the Western Hockey League season for the Everett Silvertips.

And those frustrations boiled over at the end of Saturday night's game against the Vancouver Giants.

Vancouver scored three unanswered goals in the third period to break a tie, handing the Silvertips a 5-2 loss at Comcast Arena, Everett's second straight defeat to start the season.

Then the game's final minute got ugly as four fights broke out and a host of other penalties were assessed. A total of 180 penalty minutes were doled out in the ill-tempered affair.

"I think that's just our frustrations," Everett's Brennan Sonne said. "We didn't play well enough, and when you don't play well enough in this type of game you get heated. The pot just boiled over, and that's not acceptable either."

Vancouver's Chris Cloud scored midway through the third period to break a 2-2 tie. Then Mike Berube added an insurance goal and Spencer Machacek an empty netter for Vancouver (2-0), which accomplished something the Giants couldn't last season during their run to the Memorial Cup championship: beat Everett. The Tips prevailed in all six meetings last season.

Jonathon Blum and former Silvertip Mike Wuchterl also scored for the Giants and Tyson Sexsmith made 24 saves.

For Everett, Kyle Beach and Brandon Campos scored goals and Leland Irving made 24 saves in net. Defending WHL scoring champ Zach Hamill, back in the lineup Saturday after sitting out Friday's opener because of travel fatigue, had an assist.

As in Friday's 6-5 loss to Tri-City, Everett again played a game uncharacteristic of the team's first four seasons. The Tips surrendered two leads, had defensive breakdowns and took untimely penalties.

"Our guys can't mistake physical play for undisciplined play," Everett coach John Becanic said. "We've got to adjust to the refereeing, we can't expect the refereeing to adjust to us.

"I think there's been too many distractions, with guys coming back at the last minute and trying to get guys caught up to speed," he added.

Following Machacek's goal the game got ugly, with four separate fights during a 14 second period.

"I thought Everett was a frustrated hockey team," Vancouver coach Don Hay said. "It doesn't really bother me, but when you go after young players that's something that is uncalled for.

"But I thought we competed really hard," Hay added. "Every time Everett took the lead we pushed hard to get back in the game."

It remains to be seen whether there will be repercussions from the league for the late-game incidents.

"We've got bigger problems to worry about now than suspensions," Becanic said. "We've given up five power-play goals in two games now. And discipline, we ran into the same problem last year. We went from being the least-penalzied team to being the second- or third-most penalized team. We're on pace for that now, so we've got to fix that."

Vancouver essentially put the game away during a 54-second stretch of the third period. The game was tied 2-2 when Cloud broke the deadlock at 8:14, snapping a shot past Irving after Michal Repik fed a pass out front from behind the Everett goal. Then it was 4-2 just 54 seconds later, Berube letting fly with a slap shot from the right point that found its way past Irving.

The Tips twice took the lead during a penalty-filled second period, only to see Vancouver tie it up quickly each time. The teams first traded five-on-three goals by Beach and Blum, then traded five-on-four markers by Campos and Wuchterl.

Nick Patterson's Silvertips blog: http://www.heraldnet.com/section/BLOG12

Giants 5, Silvertips 2

Vancouver 0 2 3 — 5

Everett 0 2 0 — 2

First Period—No goals. Penalties—Hunt, Vancouver (fighting), 0:03; Sonne, Everett (fighting), 0:03; Bouma, Vancouver (tripping), 4:33; Valach, Vancouver (high sticking-high sticking), 6:14; Wuchterl, Vancouver (roughing), 12:26; Beach, Everett (goaltender interference-roughing), 12:26; Hunt, Vancouver (goaltender interference), 16:13.

Second Period—1, Everett, Beach 1 (Gendur, Hamill), 2:43 (pp). 2, Vancouver, Blum 1 (Kraus, Kane), 5:15 (pp). 3, Everett, Campos 1 (Karamnov, Sonne), 6:49 (pp). 4, Vancouver, Wuchterl 1 (Valach, Cloud), 9:43 (pp). Penalties—Kraus, Vancouver (slashing), 0:48; Piluso, Vancouver (tripping), 2:14; Potuer, Everett (holding), 3:27; Regier, Everett (holding), 3:52; Wuchterl, Vancouver (goaltender interference), 6:30; Campos, Everett (checking from behind), 7:01; Ellington, Everett (boarding), 7:47; Hunt, Vancouver (tripping), 10:11; Bouma, Vancouver (unsportsmanlike conduct), 11:43; Beach, Everett (unsportsmanlike conduct), 11:43; Campos, Everett (tripping), 11:55; Hamill, Everett (high sticking), 14:07; Kane, Vancouver (interference), 17:07.

Third Period—5, Vancouver, Cloud 1 (Repik), 8:14. 6, Vancouver, Berube 1 (Repik, Valach), 9:08. 7, Vancouver, Machacek 2 (Blum), 19:14 (en). Penalties—Wuchterl, Vancouver (instigator-fighting-10-minute misconduct) 2:24; Beach, Everett (fighting), 2:24; Blum, Vancouver (high sticking), 16:06; Berube, Vancouver (fighting), 19:34; Potuer, Everett (fighting), 19:34; Cunningham, Vancouver (fighting), 19:35; Beach, Everett (fighting), 19:35; Piluso, Vancouver (fighting), 19:48; Kane, Vancouver (fighting-10-minute misconduct), 19:48; Bouma, Vancouver (10-minute misconduct), 19:48; Wuchterl, Vancouver (10-minute misconduct), 19:48; Regier, Everett (roughing), 19:48; Strong, Everett (fighting), 19:48; Mistelbacher, Everett (fighting-10-minute misconduct), 19:48; Sonne, Everett (10-minute misconduct-10-minute misconduct), 19:48.

Shots on goal—Vancouver 6-16-7—29. Everett 8-8-10—26. Power-play opportunities—Vancouver 2 of 8. Everett 2 of 11.

Goalies—Vancouver, Sexsmith 2-0-0-0 (26 shots, 24 saves). Everett, Irving 0-2-0-0 (28 shots, 24 saves).

A—5,780.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipped Off
    Thanks to Marty Alto on the Tips board for pointing this out...

"I thought Everett was a frustrated hockey team," Vancouver coach Don Hay [emph. added] said. "It doesn't really bother me, but when you go after young players that's something that is uncalled for.

So I guess it's OK for for Mikey to start a fight (he got 2 & 10 for instigating) with Beach (Tips 1st round draft choice), but not OK for Jordan (no instigator) to tangle with Kane (Giants 1st round draft choice)
    Consider the source. I have a lot more respect for the Giants this year than in previous seasons, but still not much for Hay.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipped Off
    Well, when you go out of your way to slash a goalie that is standing in his crease, be prepared for what is coming your way.

I want to see another Beach v. Smuk fight and this time maybe it can stay on Youtube

Sec. C Row 12 Seat 18