Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Rockets vs Giants Mar 18&19th

Default Rockets vs Giants Mar 18&19th

Well it comes down to the last two games for the WHL title, what do you expect?

Go CHIEFS Go
    KELOWNA ROCKETS 2004 MEMORIAL CUP CHAMPIONS!

http://cropcircle.ca/forums/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by Jovorock
    Well it comes down to the last two games for the WHL title, what do you expect?
    Hopefully, I expect the Rockets to sweep. Realistically, I expect 2 points. My crystal ball foresees a tie between the mice and rockets - 104 points each. Unfortunately, the morons in the league office chose to settle it using a bogus tie-breaker such as total wins instead of head-to-head match-ups. Here's hoping it doesn't come down to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jovorock
    Go CHIEFS Go

rinkrat Guest

good idea to start whining about the tie-breaking method ahead of time! That'll make it more believable after we hear it for a while right?

Quote Originally Posted by rinkrat
    good idea to start whining about the tie-breaking method ahead of time! That'll make it more believable after we hear it for a while right?
    First, facts shouldn't have to be made more believable. The tie-breaker can not be defended. I can't help it if you don't like that. Second, I thought it was a bogus tie-breaker as soon as I heard it. (BTW, what does the NHL or NFL use?).

C.F Guest

I have a slight feeling that if the Rockets played exciting hockey, their fans wouldn't be so opposed to the most wins tie-breaker method! I don't see the problem with it, wins are better than ties, afterall.

If we win and tie, that gives us 105 pts...1 more point than Kootenay's maximum amount achieveable this year

Quote Originally Posted by RocketMan
    First, facts shouldn't have to be made more believable. The tie-breaker can not be defended. I can't help it if you don't like that. Second, I thought it was a bogus tie-breaker as soon as I heard it. (BTW, what does the NHL or NFL use?).
    NHL system is as follows;

1. Total Wins
    2. Points obtained in games against tied teams - If they play an uneven amount of games then the last game they played does not count.
    3. Goal differential for entire season.

I can't remember if they play a tiebreaker game for the last playoff spot or not. I think they do but its been a while since that has happened and I cant remember.

The NFL uses some complex formula based on Strength of schedule that I dont really understand nor do I ever want to.

I do not believe they have a tiebreaker game, but then again I could be wrong - thats for the last playoff spot.

RETIRED JERSEY: #32 CHAD SCHARFF

Quote Originally Posted by Beaner
    NHL system is as follows;

1. Total Wins
    2. Points obtained in games against tied teams - If they play an uneven amount of games then the last game they played does not count.
    3. Goal differential for entire season.

I can't remember if they play a tiebreaker game for the last playoff spot or not. I think they do but its been a while since that has happened and I cant remember.
    The NHL uses this system b/c teams within the same division play each other more often and also play nearly identical schedules. There are no teams or divisions in the NHL analogous to the situation in the WHL's BC division where 4 of the teams play similar schedules while the fifth team (Kootenay) plays one completely unlike any other team in the league. Kootenay hardly played Vancouver and they are in the same division. That never happens in the NHL. The ICE played far more games against another conference, than did any other Western team. In the NHL, the potential problem with inequities in schedule difficulty such as this can not arise.
    The NFL uses some complex formula based on Strength of schedule that I dont really understand nor do I ever want to.
    NFL teams play only 16 games, but there are 32 teams. They can't play a balanced schedule and maintain some kind of inter-division, inter-conference interest and rivalry. As result, their tie-breaking procedures are a little more complicated, but only because they are striving to make them fair. In every case of the procedure, head to head match-ups is the first tie-breaker and always comes before total wins. Head-to-head match-ups also have priority in Arena football, the NBA, and in both major leagues of baseball.

There really is no argument for a case where head-to-head match-ups should not be the first tie-breaker as it is in every other major league team sport on the continent. The NHL uses a different system, but there the teams in each division play very similar schedules. Of course, that's certainly not the case in the WHL's BC division.

I wasn't disagreeing or agreeing with you. Just answering your question. Football I dont really follow, I just knew they had this weird strength of schedule system, that I have never bothered to look at.

The Ice are in a weird situation, that is for sure. The shame of it all is, I only got to see the Ice play twice this year in Vancouver, and yet, we will most likely face them in the first round. We haven't played them since November

I have said it before and I will say it again, if the Ice are going to be in the BC Division, then at the least, they should be playing games against their Division Foes at the end of the year, not the beginning. This will at least let the teams in the division fight it out amongst themselves for who finishes first or last.

RETIRED JERSEY: #32 CHAD SCHARFF

I wasn't disagreeing or agreeing with you. Just answering your question.
    Thanks, I think we both cleared it up
    Football I dont really follow, I just knew they had this weird strength of schedule system, that I have never bothered to look at.
    It may look weird from a hockey perspective, but I think the NFL system, unlike the WHL, strives for fairness. In any regard, they like every other team sport except the NHL uses head-to-head match ups as the first priority in settling ties.
    The Ice are in a weird situation, that is for sure. The shame of it all is, I only got to see the Ice play twice this year in Vancouver, and yet, we will most likely face them in the first round. We haven't played them since November
    Yes and the Giants only played them a total of 3 times this season. As far as facing them, with the bogus tie-breaker situation, that possibility is quite uncertain.
    I have said it before and I will say it again, if the Ice are going to be in the BC Division, then at the least, they should be playing games against their Division Foes at the end of the year, not the beginning. This will at least let the teams in the division fight it out amongst themselves for who finishes first or last.
    Agreed. The match-ups should occur after the trade deadline, preferrably at the end of the season. Some teams, Kamloops for one, are better now than they were before. But, the league blew it once again and hasn't thought this problem through very well.
    Last edited by RocketMan; 03-18-2005 at 08:47 AM.